Bradley's Depth (2020-21 Season)

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
HoustonBrave
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Bradley's Depth (2020-21 Season)

Post by HoustonBrave »

Ever since 1980 when I started attending Bradley as a student, and until 2019, I always felt that Bradley did NOT have deep teams, year after year. But, when you have a winning coaching staff such as Brian Wardle and his assistants join the program, then the Bradley brand starts attracting quality recruits that create the team's depth. It is simple, quality recruits are attracted to winning programs and a great coaching staff with a proven success record. This 2020-21 season looks like we will have one of the deepest teams since 1980, at least. A huge credit goes to the coaching staff and everyone involved in re-building our proud Braves program including BU's AD, Chris Reynolds, of course!
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Bradley's Depth (2020-21 Season)

Post by dogsrus »

HoustonBrave wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:10 am Ever since 1980 when I started attending Bradley as a student, and until 2019, I always felt that Bradley did NOT have deep teams, year after year. But, when you have a winning coaching staff such as Brian Wardle and his assistants join the program, then the Bradley brand starts attracting quality recruits that create the team's depth. It is simple, quality recruits are attracted to winning programs and a great coaching staff with a proven success record. This 2020-21 season looks like we will have one of the deepest teams since 1980, at least. A huge credit goes to the coaching staff and everyone involved in re-building our proud Braves program including BU's AD, Chris Reynolds, of course!
I think of CU/Altman teams..... he’d play almost everyone keeping guys fresh and interested.... i was excited to hear the Warden talk about done possible pressing on D because of the depth you refer to.

The Depth can help you stay healthier to if guys don’t have to log such heavy minutes.....

Should be fun.....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Who do you think will be our point guard?
go cubs go!
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

HoustonBrave wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:10 am Ever since 1980 when I started attending Bradley as a student, and until 2019, I always felt that Bradley did NOT have deep teams, year after year.
I don't know man. I went to Bradley in the mid-80s and some of those Versace teams were pretty darn deep. Some of Mo's teams weren't too shabby either. Les' '05-06 and '06-07 teams were fairly deep as well.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

Braves4Life wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:32 pm
HoustonBrave wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:10 am Ever since 1980 when I started attending Bradley as a student, and until 2019, I always felt that Bradley did NOT have deep teams, year after year.
I don't know man. I went to Bradley in the mid-80s and some of those Versace teams were pretty darn deep. Some of Mo's teams weren't too shabby either. Les' '05-06 and '06-07 teams were fairly deep as well.
Everybody has a lot of depth before the games start.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
Bradleyfan2005
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bradleyfan2005 »

It's gonna interesting to see who starts and how much playing time some people get. We have at least 8 guys that could legit start for other programs in the Valley right now. Personally, Terry, Eli and Sean are locks. I think Kevin and Rienk should be the other 2 starters. Connor and Ari are our backup big men. Danya and Ville are the backourt for the 2nd unit, and have our 6th man Henry at the 3.

Any thoughts?
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Bradleyfan2005 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:58 pm It's gonna interesting to see who starts and how much playing time some people get. We have at least 8 guys that could legit start for other programs in the Valley right now. Personally, Terry, Eli and Sean are locks. I think Kevin and Rienk should be the other 2 starters. Connor and Ari are our backup big men. Danya and Ville are the backourt for the 2nd unit, and have our 6th man Henry at the 3.

Any thoughts?
Kevin McAdoo isn’t better than Ville and Danya.
~Thomas Jefferson
spoon
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by spoon »

tribecalledquest wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:27 pm
Yeah even the team with Cam Barker and Shayok Shayok starting :roll:
spoon

Post by spoon »

Bradleyfan2005 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:58 pm It's gonna interesting to see who starts and how much playing time some people get. We have at least 8 guys that could legit start for other programs in the Valley right now. Personally, Terry, Eli and Sean are locks. I think Kevin and Rienk should be the other 2 starters. Connor and Ari are our backup big men. Danya and Ville are the backourt for the 2nd unit, and have our 6th man Henry at the 3.

Any thoughts?
These are my thoughts

Kingsby
Nolan
Tahvanainen
Childs
Boya

Henry and East first off the bench. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some lineups with Childs at the 5 and Henry at the 4.

East may eventually start over Kingsby.

I’ll believe in Mast when I see him play. Not going to base anything on hype. I think he gets 10-12 minutes a game.

McAdoo plays about 13-14 minutes a game.

Thomas, Linke, Hannah, Kent all play sparingly here and there. Hope there could be a freshman surprise but won’t bank on it.
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

spoon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:22 pm
tribecalledquest wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:27 pm

Those two never played together 😁
~Thomas Jefferson
Bradleyfan2005
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bradleyfan2005 »

spoon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:41 pm

Any thoughts?
These are my thoughts

Kingsby
Nolan
Tahvanainen
Childs
Boya

Henry and East first off the bench. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some lineups with Childs at the 5 and Henry at the 4.

I’ll believe in Mast when I see him play. Not going to base anything on hype. I think he gets 10-12 minutes a game.

Thomas, Linke, Hannah, Kent all play sparingly here and there. Hope there could be a freshman surprise but won’t bank on it.
Rienk and Sean need to start in my opinion (epically Rienk).

Sean averaged nearly 10 ppg in a better basketball league compared to the Valley, and transferred primary due to not starting consistently. Rienk was averaging double digits against grown men before his injury. The kid is a pro. We don't need to play to Henry at the 4 next year. Linke can help us in terms of defense and rebounding. Henry's ball skills are competent enough to play the 3 this year.

IMO we have one glaring weakness. We can score, defend, run, rebound. We're athletic and talented. But as a unit, statistically, we're not a good shooting team. Nolan/Kevin shot below 34% from 3pt before they transferred. East shot 32% from 3pt before he transfered. Danya has a solid percentage, but he's a low volume 3pt shooter. Guards would regularly go under ball screens with him. Teams can live with Eli taking a 3pt, and Thomas/Ari are not even threats at this point. Rienk needs to start to provide floor spacing. He's the most important piece for us this year.

Vile needs to come off the bench to provide shooting for the 2nd unit.
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Bradleyfan2005 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:40 pm

Any thoughts?
These are my thoughts

Kingsby
Nolan
Tahvanainen
Childs
Boya

Sean averaged nearly 10 ppg in a better basketball league compared to the Valley, and transferred primary due to not starting consistently. Rienk was averaging double digits against grown men before his injury. The kid is a pro. We don't need to play to Henry at the 4 next year. Linke can help us in terms of defense and rebounding. Henry's ball skills are competent enough to play the 3 this year.

IMO we have one glaring weakness. We can score, defend, run, rebound. We're athletic and talented. But as a unit, statistically, we're not a good shooting team. Nolan/Kevin shot below 34% from 3pt before they transferred. East shot 32% from 3pt before he transfered. Danya has a solid percentage, but he's a low volume 3pt shooter. Guards would regularly go under ball screens with him. Teams can live with Eli taking a 3pt, and Thomas/Ari are not even threats at this point. Rienk needs to start to provide floor spacing. He's the most important piece for us this year.

For sure three point shooting will be a key to this team. It isn’t a strength. It just needs to be average and this team should be pretty good.

I also believe Antonio Thomas is going to play more than people think.
~Thomas Jefferson
Bradleyfan2005
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bradleyfan2005 »

tribecalledquest wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:45 pm
Bradleyfan2005 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:40 pm

These are my thoughts

Kingsby
Nolan
Tahvanainen
Childs
Boya

For sure three point shooting will be a key to this team. It isn’t a strength. It just needs to be average and this team should be pretty good.

I also believe Antonio Thomas is going to play more than people think.
[/quote

He might, but I don't think he should honestly play a min for us unless someone gets injured, and that's assuming he worked on his jumpshot this summer because the guy was nearly unplayable last year due to his inability to shoot. We don't need him at all this year. We're so loaded at the guard spot right now, we have no reason to add another guard to the mix.
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

He played as a freshman on a team that had a backcourt of senior 1,000 point scorers. He even started some games. If he found the court then he will find it as a sophomore.

I’m also assuming he will make some jump shots. He isn’t Steph Curry but he isn’t as bad as he showed last season either.

It’s also human nature to rank players we haven’t seen higher than the ones we have.
~Thomas Jefferson
Bradleyfan2005
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bradleyfan2005 »

tribecalledquest wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:59 pm He played as a freshman on a team that had a backcourt of senior 1,000 point scorers. He even started some games. If he found the court then he will find it as a sophomore.

I’m also assuming he will make some jump shots. He isn’t Steph Curry but he isn’t as bad as he showed last season either.

It’s also human nature to rank players we haven’t seen higher than the ones we have.
He probably will play. I'm just making the argument that on principle, he really shouldn't. But knowing Wardle, he'll get some minutes this year. Also, keep in mind, he played out of necessity last year. When Danya got suspended for the Toledo game, or when players got injured is when he saw the floor. The injury issue really nagged at us last year. But when we were fully healthy as a team, especially in games that mattered, like Loyola on Senior Night, or really any game during Arch Madness, he didn't play.

You're right about how it's human nature to intuitively rank players and get really delusional about players based on hope, not logic or stats. People fall in love with the mere idea of what they think a player should be, rather than what the player actually is. But when it comes to our unseen guards (Nolan/Kevin/East), my hope really is in the numbers with them. All 3 averaged or got close to 10ppg per game in the years they played before transferring here.

And we all know what Kingsby, Ville can do.

Based on the data and what we already know about our guards for this season, it's pretty hard to convince me that we should play him at all this year. I'm not trying to hate on the kid, I'm just saying.

The greatest indicator of future action is past action
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

Thomas is the only true PG on this team. There's a chance he may see significant minutes (12-15 mpg) if PG leadership becomes an issue. There's also a chance he sees less than 5 mpg if the newcomers live up to their hype.
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

I see Thomas playing also..... he showed poise in his limited time. Didn’t look lost.....wasnt asked to and didn’t need to score last year..... yes if he can develop a better mid range shot and be good finisher at the rim he’ll be even more valuable......
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 »

Braves4Life wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:45 am Thomas is the only true PG on this team. There's a chance he may see significant minutes (12-15 mpg) if PG leadership becomes an issue. There's also a chance he sees less than 5 mpg if the newcomers live up to their hype.
You don’t think of East as a true pg?
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

dss03 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:56 am
Braves4Life wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:45 am Thomas is the only true PG on this team. There's a chance he may see significant minutes (12-15 mpg) if PG leadership becomes an issue. There's also a chance he sees less than 5 mpg if the newcomers live up to their hype.
He wasn’t the PG on his HS team. He clearly played the role at UMass last year though. There aren’t many “true” PG’s in the traditional Billy Wright mold anymore.
~Thomas Jefferson
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

I think the key will be based on which type of PG meshes best with particular lineups. Does a particular lineupe perform better with a pass first PG like Thomas, or a more athletic and offensive PG like East? I can see Thomas getting playing time based on specific lineup combinations or the style or size of the team we're playing against.
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

Huge fan of those Versace teams but what he had was MVC depth. We lost to Louisville in Utah because of depth. Les and Hawkins were great players and some of the hardest workers ever to come through BU that they hid our lack of next level talent depth, IMO.

This year's team if everyone plays to their potential and within their roles we should be contending for first and still stay fresh for a St. Louis run. Also, Wardle's teams are always peaking in March, play great team D and are in great physical shape. I also believe that yes you have to score but it is team D that makes the difference at any level these days. In the NBA this year, the last four teams all excelled and played passionate team D. One more thing, if Boya takes it to the next level on D and plays consistent, this will be Wardle's best defensive team.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

spoon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:22 pm
Who is Cam Barker?
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
bcg
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by bcg »

I don't think this roster has depth, but I think there is a solid 9 man rotation that is going to win a bunch of games. If Ari Boya goes down for any length of time, this team is going to be scrambling.

tribecalledquest wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:27 pm Everybody has a lot of depth before the games start.
Yep. It's amazing how the projected minutes per game change drastically after the first week.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

One thing with Wardle is he will typically play everyone early in the season, even if the team struggles. He can stomach some poor play, but he seems to like to give everyone the opportunity to perform. But especially by February, the bench gets shorter.

That said, Thomas wasn't playing very many minutes in February, but arguably, his best game last year was the game at Valpo, which was probably Bradley's worst game the last month of the season.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
ER3
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by ER3 »

Braves4Life wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:26 pm
I think the key will be based on which type of PG meshes best with particular lineups. Does a particular lineupe perform better with a pass first PG like Thomas, or a more athletic and offensive PG like East? I can see Thomas getting playing time based on specific lineup combinations or the style or size of the team we're playing against.
If Antonio Thomas doesn't show enormous improvement with his perimeter shooting this year, I don't think he's going to be much more than a 5 minute/game player...He' s got to get to the point where he can show other teams that he is capable of hitting a jump shot outside of 15 feet occasionally...or else the offense is going bog down whenever he is on the floor...He doesn't need to develop into a guy that shoots it like Ville or Nate from the perimeter, but he's got to get to the point where he can at least shoot it at a 20-25% clip from three, or else teams are going completely sag off of him and make it much harder on the other 4 guys to find any space...

I'm fine with the idea of having a "pass first" PG on the floor if you've got an abundance of scoring talent on the floor with him...but he really needs to be more of a "pass first, shoot/score second" type of PG, not a "pass first, pass second, pass third, pass fourth" PG...Has to be able to threaten the defense in some manner while he is on the floor

Antonio's form on his jumper looks OK to me...so hopefully it is just a matter of him getting up a ton of shots in his individual workouts, and then he can start finding some confidence in it...