How will Covid-19 affect the season?

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball

How will the NCAA Basketball season end up?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Normal like any other before Covid-19
30%
Shorten due to Covid-19 spikes (just like last year or even earlier)
35%
All conference tournaments are played and the NCAA Tournament called off
4%
Season called off before it takes off
30%

Total votes: 23

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Re: How will Covid-19 affect the season?

Post by Mike Radigan »

JMM28 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:53 am How many of the Chicago State, Prairie View, ____ A&T, etc. type programs will cease to exist without the 10+ game buy game money that fund their entire athletics programs?

If the taxpayers of Illinois are lucky, the entire Chicago State school would shut down because of covid.
And a former professor recently indicted for embezzling 650k from a student organization.
#girldad
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Mike Radigan wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:41 pm
JMM28 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:53 am How many of the Chicago State, Prairie View, ____ A&T, etc. type programs will cease to exist without the 10+ game buy game money that fund their entire athletics programs?

If the taxpayers of Illinois are lucky, the entire Chicago State school would shut down because of covid.
And a former professor recently indicted for embezzling 650k from a student organization.
WTAH? I'm not stunned someone would do this, but how was it even possible? Most organizations like this require 2 signatures for any sort of withdrawal, and individual transactions restricted to deposit only. . .unless this was on a debit or credit card. But that would leave a significant paper trail.

If this was so easy for someone to do, she either likely had an accomplice inside, or shame on the organization for not having better safeguards to protect them from this sort of thing.
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite »

The best Chicago St moment was when they called a BOT meeting to terminate the baseball program -- unaware that terminating baseball without a replacement would put them below the NCAA-required 2 Men's team sports and unintentionally self-disqualify themselves from D1.

Except that BOT meeting was hacked by trolls (obviously the scorned baseball players with a last minute ploy to save their program) because CSU didn't know how to operate a secure Zoom meeting, causing CSU to delay the cancellation until next month's meeting and find a replacement men’s team sport.

So CSU's incompetence of not knowing NCAA rules was saved only by their incompetence of not knowing how to run a secure BOT meeting over Zoom.

4D Chess.
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

Well...that’s disappointing.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Terrible news. RIP.

"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
Uncle Junior
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Uncle Junior »

Always a big night at Bradley Basketball games. I knew people who would go to one Bradley game a year just to see Quick Change! Only 57 years old. Gone way too soon...
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.
illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 »

I was at a Bulls game and recognized the halftime act as Dania. She had her own hula hoop act and was assisted by David. Of course it was also very entertaining.

If I remember correctly, dania’s relatives were Russian circus performers.
The world is about to become a much more dangerous place. So is Illinois.

Illinois House Bill 3653
“In the dark of night Illinois legislators made Illinois less safe.”
PH
All Universe
All Universe

Post by PH »

I’m sure he isn’t the only one, but its still good to see:

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

PH wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:28 pm I’m sure he isn’t the only one, but its still good to see:

I'm sure Bradley would like to see EIU again.
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation »

It feels like we're in the 1920s again with all these schedules.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/
spoon

Post by spoon »

Missouri State shut down for 14 days.
Butler Blue
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

spoon wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:45 pm

Saves them the embarrassment of playing some of the games on that God-awful schedule.
spoon

Post by spoon »

PH
All Universe
All Universe

Post by PH »

spoon wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:09 pm
At least he hasn’t had contact with players since the 12th
real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

Butler Blue wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:47 pm
spoon wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:45 pm

Saves them the embarrassment of playing some of the games on that God-awful schedule.
This team having covid problems is not a surprise because of the lack of discipline they showed last season. I would not wish any team to get this horrible virus as we all want these games to be played for something decent to watch at this time. This could be the first season since 1967 that I will not attend a BU basketball game in person which really suc-s.
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

"No. 3 Villanova is extending its stay in Connecticut's "Bubbleville," and coach Jay Wright says the Big East might want to look at the format for its tournament this season."

The format they are playing in is what the Valley needs to look into as well. It is all about limiting your exposure.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

SFP wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:46 pm "No. 3 Villanova is extending its stay in Connecticut's "Bubbleville," and coach Jay Wright says the Big East might want to look at the format for its tournament this season."

The format they are playing in is what the Valley needs to look into as well. It is all about limiting your exposure.
Big East $ >>>> Valley $
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

pndbaseball12 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:04 pm
SFP wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:46 pm "No. 3 Villanova is extending its stay in Connecticut's "Bubbleville," and coach Jay Wright says the Big East might want to look at the format for its tournament this season."

Big East $ >>>> Valley $
The Greensboro Coliseum has pitched a plan to host a 6 week bubble schedule over an almost 2-month period of the season at a cost of approximately $700,000 to the ACC (also headquartered in Greensboro). This does not include the cost of housing each team and staff during the near 2-month time period. Does the MVC have that kind of money? I doubt BU would be willing to spend that kind of money to house their athletes and staff. I'm sure SIU doesn't.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

We are talking a week and not a season. Can any team in the MVC afford not to have a tournament.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
Butler Blue
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

Braves4Life wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:46 pm
pndbaseball12 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Big East $ >>>> Valley $
The Greensboro Coliseum has pitched a plan to host a 6 week bubble schedule over an almost 2-month period of the season at a cost of approximately $700,000 to the ACC (also headquartered in Greensboro). This does not include the cost of housing each team and staff during the near 2-month time period. Does the MVC have that kind of money? I doubt BU would be willing to spend that kind of money to house their athletes and staff. I'm sure SIU doesn't.
No. MVC schools could not afford this kind of set-up.
Butler Blue
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

SFP wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:53 pm We are talking a week and not a season. Can any team in the MVC afford not to have a tournament.
During a normal MVC tournament, teams typically arrive in STL on Wednesday. I agree that getting them there a few days earlier makes sense. At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters to MVC schools this year is that there is an NCAA tournament and distributions are made next spring/summer. Between no distribution last spring and no ticket sales this season, I'd guess that Valley schools are already facing anywhere between $1 million - $2.5 million shortfalls in men's basketball alone.
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

Butler Blue wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:03 pm
SFP wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:53 pm We are talking a week and not a season. Can any team in the MVC afford not to have a tournament.
During a normal MVC tournament, teams typically arrive in STL on Wednesday. I agree that getting them there a few days earlier makes sense. At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters to MVC schools this year is that there is an NCAA tournament and distributions are made next spring/summer. Between no distribution last spring and no ticket sales this season, I'd guess that Valley schools are already facing anywhere between $1 million - $2.5 million shortfalls in men's basketball alone.
The NCAA awards approximately $1.7M/team/game played in the NCAA Tournament. This money is then split equally between the 10 member MVC schools. At minimum, Bradley not playing in the 2020 tournament cost each Valley school only about $28,000. Fortunately every MVC school is still reaping the rewards of Loyola's deep run from a few years ago. I don't think having no NCAA Tournament this year would be a game breaker, but it could have a cumulative effect down the road if the MVC fails to have a team make another deep run (or if the league can't secure multiple bids).
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.awfulann ... mbers.html
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

Braves4Life wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:44 pm
Butler Blue wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:03 pm
The NCAA awards approximately $1.7M/team/game played in the NCAA Tournament. This money is then split equally between the 10 member MVC schools. At minimum, Bradley not playing in the 2020 tournament cost each Valley school only about $28,000. Fortunately every MVC school is still reaping the rewards of Loyola's deep run from a few years ago. I don't think having no NCAA Tournament this year would be a game breaker, but it could have a cumulative effect down the road if the MVC fails to have a team make another deep run (or if the league can't secure multiple bids).
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.awfulann ... mbers.html
The distributions are paid over 6 years though, so no distribution means no $$ for the last 6 years performance. The 2020 no tournament units would come into play after this season.
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

Right JMM, I forgot to add that 6 year deferred payout. Regardless, it's not a make or break deal yet but would definitely hurt down the road if the MVC fails to get multiple bids and/or a team making a deep run. Loyola bought the whole league a little time.
Butler Blue
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

Braves4Life wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:59 pm Right JMM, I forgot to add that 6 year deferred payout. Regardless, it's not a make or break deal yet but would definitely hurt down the road if the MVC fails to get multiple bids and/or a team making a deep run. Loyola bought the whole league a little time.
That money is spent before it’s received every year, and last year‘s money was never received. I believe that the loss for Bradley was somewhere in the 3/4 of $1 million range last year.