Bradley Hockey

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Bradley Hockey

Post by BradleyBrave » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:57 pm

I know BU has enough to worry about right now with restoring some respectability to its only revenue sport, but expanding into other sports is often a topic of discussion on here. I've long said hockey is something BU is a good fit for. This article to me tells me there's a need, and I think the chance to be competitive pretty quickly.

http://www.uscho.com/2015/11/24/theyre- ... on-i-team/
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

VromanFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Bradley Hockey

Post by VromanFan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:08 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:I know BU has enough to worry about right now with restoring some respectability to its only revenue sport, but expanding into other sports is often a topic of discussion on here. I've long said hockey is something BU is a good fit for. This article to me tells me there's a need, and I think the chance to be competitive pretty quickly.

From the article:

"Division I programs have been added elsewhere in recent years, but donations were key to those. Penn State received $102 million in total donations from Terry and Kim Pegula, who own the NFL’s Buffalo Bills and the NHL’s Buffalo Sabres. Arizona State received a $32 million donation."

Sounds like BradleyBrave has a big check to write! I don't want to speak for the administration but I'm sure they would prefer cash!!
Everyone's favorite poster!

"I don't think I've ever understood any of his posts"

the "style that they are written in draws me to read the whole thing and realize that I've wasted my time."

BeBrave
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by BeBrave » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:59 pm

Bradley currently has a great "club" hockey program. They recruit kids from all over the midwest and have had some success in recent years all without any financial support from the University. They play at the Owens Center in Peoria but they host 1 weekend series and an alumni event at the PCC every year.

They sell quite a bit of apparel and get a ton of students out to the games. Bradley would have a huge head start if they did want to start funding a D1 hockey program.

Here is their website: www.bradleyhockey.net/
Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Brian Wardle?

@J_Dub_Sep

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:04 pm

I remember BB bringing this up before. Presumably, Bradley would not have the same level of costs in terms of facilities as many other schools, though I could be wrong on that. It is true that Illinois and Missouri are both growing the game very rapidly with lots of talented players starting to rise to the college ranks.

It is not a safe assumption that an Illinois school will lock down the majority of the Illinois talent, so beyond the cost of facilities/renting ice, to do anything in D1, one has to be prepared to budget for recruiting all over the country and Canada, and travel a great deal to play games. Title IX considerations too.

It would be exceptionally costly short term, and high risk, but potentially brings a lot of long term potential to whoever enters the market first too. The level of talent will increase, and if the college game were to continue to grow then the travel costs would reduce over time. Given where Bradley is at right now, don't see it happening any time soon.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:08 pm

BeBrave wrote:Bradley currently has a great "club" hockey program. They recruit kids from all over the midwest and have had some success in recent years all without any financial support from the University. They play at the Owens Center in Peoria but they host 1 weekend series and an alumni event at the PCC every year.

They sell quite a bit of apparel and get a ton of students out to the games. Bradley would have a huge head start if they did want to start funding a D1 hockey program.

Here is their website: http://www.bradleyhockey.net/
Yup, have a friend who played on the team in its infancy. With Owens and the PCC available, local talent (midwest) plentiful, and the increased interest in hockey over the last 5-7 years because of the Blackhawks, I think there's a formula for success there. And yes, schools like Bradley can be a power in hockey. Look no further than the national champion a few years ago - tiny Union College out on the east coast. They play in a 2,200 seat arena, feature 2 players from Illinois, and won the national title in 2014 over Minnesota in front of a sold out crowd in Philadelphia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Dutchmen_ice_hockey

It's my understanding that Bradley Athletics will accept PayPal...
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:09 pm

What sort of conference affiliation would be available? The only midwestern conference in the D1 ranks appears to be the Big Ten.

Where would they play? Owens Center seems too small. Carver Arena seems too big.

Will hockey encounter the same problems that football is starting to with concussions?

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:14 pm

JMM28 wrote:What sort of conference affiliation would be available? The only midwestern conference in the D1 ranks appears to be the Big Ten.

Where would they play? Owens Center seems too small. Carver Arena seems too big.

Will hockey encounter the same problems that football is starting to with concussions?
All valid questions. There's only one division in college hockey, so they could conceivable affiliate with anyone. I think there's a Great Lakes conference of schools that aren't too far away, and of course there's the B1G schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lak ... key_League

I think they could play at Carver, and align their games with when the ice is down for the Rivermen. Seems like a cost-effective package deal with our hoops agreement to me. Maybe Owens from time to time, but seating there is pretty limited. Union College is in Schenectady, NY. If they can support a hockey team, I think Peoria could as well. As you can see by the arena sizes of the Great Lakes schools, they're quite small.

Hockey has a concussion problem too, but nowhere close to the level of the NFL. Will that still be the case when we hoist the national championship trophy at the 2020 Frozen Four? Who knows.

Just imagine a real homecoming weekend in the winter with hockey on Friday night and hoops on Saturday night, with stops at Jimmy's and the boat in between...

VromanFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by VromanFan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Bradley should open a dental school at the same time we announce the new hockey program. Think of the press! Maybe also create a new degree in Canadian Studies?? BP! What do you think?
Everyone's favorite poster!

"I don't think I've ever understood any of his posts"

the "style that they are written in draws me to read the whole thing and realize that I've wasted my time."

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:29 pm

There is a D3 in hockey, and there are a lot of Wisconsin schools that play in it. The NCHA is a bunch of schools in WI and MI.

In terms of D1 affiliation, there was a big conference shakeup a few years ago, and there is not a natural fit. The WCHA is currently taking on Alabama-Huntsville, but is mostly a bunch of Michigan schools and 2 Alaska ones (back to travel budgets). Arizona State is going at it as an independent. I expect there will be more western teams emerging over the years, so maybe you end up in that mix.

I love it as a concept.. I'd love for a school like SLU to get back into the game too.

Here's the 2016 roster for the US Juniors. A lot more geographically diverse than maybe most would expect it to be, which indicates that the game is growing. Auston Matthews is the likely #1 choice in the NHL draft next summer, and he's from Arizona.

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/page/ ... amp-roster
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:14 pm

VromanFan wrote:Bradley should open a dental school at the same time we announce the new hockey program.
Pretty soon you're going to say they need their own schools...

firefighter13
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by firefighter13 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:29 pm

VromanFan wrote:
BradleyBrave wrote:I know BU has enough to worry about right now with restoring some respectability to its only revenue sport, but expanding into other sports is often a topic of discussion on here. I've long said hockey is something BU is a good fit for. This article to me tells me there's a need, and I think the chance to be competitive pretty quickly.

From the article:

"Division I programs have been added elsewhere in recent years, but donations were key to those. Penn State received $102 million in total donations from Terry and Kim Pegula, who own the NFL’s Buffalo Bills and the NHL’s Buffalo Sabres. Arizona State received a $32 million donation."

Sounds like BradleyBrave has a big check to write! I don't want to speak for the administration but I'm sure they would prefer cash!!

Tornado is rich. He could start it up. The Bradley Tornados could play at the newly renamed xb7 center, at the corner of Lake and University.
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:48 pm

Owens would be big enough for starters. Heck Mercyhurst in Erie, PA plays D1 hockey in an on campus rink and it seats fewer than Owens and it's not even close. When all sections of the bleachers are pulled out Owens probably seats close to 1,000 I would guess with tons of room for standing room. They could knock out that small locker room in the corner, which is more than useless, and put portable bleachers there to add more seating if necessary. With the Mustangs in town it would almost be built in recruiting since most teams recruit from juniors. College hockey is so much different than the rest of the NCAA. You have guys that are 20-21 that are freshmen because they played juniors for 3-4 years when they turned 17. I could see a conference of Bradley, Nebraska-Omaha, Miami-Ohio, Bowling Green, Minnesotta-Duluth, smaller Michigan schools, etc.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda