2018 BU recruiting

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Re: 2018 BU recruiting

Post by Lake Camelot » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm

real fan wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:17 pm
Another is out.

How about Taylor and Allen, either one of them would be good. Maitre could have been a good recruit for BU.
I haven't heard those names mentioned in forever.I wouldn't think they are posibilities. But who knows with our stealth staff.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Lake Camelot wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm
real fan wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:17 pm
Another is out.

How about Taylor and Allen, either one of them would be good. Maitre could have been a good recruit for BU.
I haven't heard those names mentioned in forever.I wouldn't think they are posibilities. But who knows with our stealth staff.
They have not committed yet from what I can tell, need to start saying why not us.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Wilkins chose the first school to offer him at a place he thinks he can be the man. Can’t blame him for that - isn’t that what we always hope when we offer someone early who might be above our level?

Maitre chose a school near where he finished high school, who I think was the first to get him on campus and likely have had a prior relationship with him. Again, we’d hope for the same if the situation was reversed.

What I’m saying is I can’t be too upset at losing either guy considering those circumstances. I don’t feel like those are true ‘head to head’ losses.

There are other guys out there still who can either help next year or in a year and beyond. Let’s get him.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:11 am

I would love to have Taylor. But I think that is a pipe dream. Since he hasn't signed yet. There must be a reason. He was noted to be interested in Illinois a couple months ago. I would think if he is eligible he would go P5.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:02 am

6'2 HS senior out of Sunrise Academy in Kansas. Weber St appears to be his only other offer.

Irvine, San Diego and Missouri St reported to have also been sniffing around.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:06 am

squirrel wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:02 am

6'2 HS senior out of Sunrise Academy in Kansas. Weber St appears to be his only other offer.

Originally signed with Milwaukee out of high school to play for LaVall Jordan, but backed out when Jordan went to Butler. Some gaudy HS scoring numbers. Oklahoma big school POY, 2 time state champ, #2 ranked player in the state out of HS. Get him!

http://mkepanthers.com/news/2017/4/18/m ... ath=mbball

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/ ... 4d080.html

“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:27 am

Don't know anything about him. I also don't know how close we are (If he will visit) But he could be interesting. I still think I would rather have Lucas. But Nero seems like a player that could help the team. I kind of thought prep schools, juco's, or overseas looking for overlooked prospects or people that can graduate a year early might be where we looked next.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:41 am

Lake Camelot wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:27 am
Don't know anything about him. I also don't know how close we are (If he will visit) But he could be interesting. I still think I would rather have Lucas. But Nero seems like a player that could help the team. I kind of thought prep schools, juco's, or overseas looking for overlooked prospects or people that can graduate a year early might be where we looked next.
I would rather have Nero than Lucas. He's a year removed from HS, so may be more ready to play than a true freshman right out of HS would be. He can play right away. He *might* be able to get some quality minutes next year at both guard positions. He would have 4 years.

Pure speculation here, but I take the public announcement of this offer on the heels of Maitre's commitment to FAU that we rank Nero higher than Lucas. Time will tell, but heading into spring recruiting this is the exact type of player I was hoping for.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:43 am

I would just look forward to all the "Nero fiddled" references I'd be able to make :joker

Also, Nero persecuted Catholics, so that would be good antimatter to Loyola.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 am

squirrel wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:43 am
I would just look forward to all the "Nero fiddled" references I'd be able to make :joker

Also, Nero persecuted Catholics, so that would be good antimatter to Loyola.
Passing on Messiah to offer Nero. Who are we making a deal with here? :shock:

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:51 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:06 am
squirrel wrote:

Originally signed with Milwaukee out of high school to play for LaVall Jordan, but backed out when Jordan went to Butler. Some gaudy HS scoring numbers. Oklahoma big school POY, 2 time state champ, #2 ranked player in the state out of HS. Get him!

Curious as to how he's basically been overlooked for the last couple years...especially in a basketball rich area.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:53 am

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:51 am
BradleyBrave wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:06 am
squirrel wrote:

Curious as to how he's basically been overlooked for the last couple years...especially in a basketball rich area.
That’s a fair question. He played at Sunrise Christian prep. They are a name school. Their 7–1 center just signed with Drake.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:55 am

squirrel wrote:

Once again squirrel “Breaking News”. PJStar message boards. Where You Hear It First!!!!! 😀
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:00 am

Nero seems like a ruthless scorer. The kind of guy who would light his mother up for 50 if she dared try to guard him.

The PJS headline writers are salivating right now.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:07 am

Caleb Nero is interesting to me. Seems like the type of player I believe the program should be going after at least. Hope they can get him in for a visit and make a good evaluation.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 am

Does the summer trip include Rome? :shock: :lol:

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 am

squirrel wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 am
Does the summer trip include Rome? :shock: :lol:

Rome, Illinois

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 am

Some highlights from this year.

As far as the question as to why he hasn't been more highly recruited, to me it looks like that while he's a great scorer, he's not an eye-popping athlete. I think he has the makings of a perfect Valley guard.

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:25 am

My concern: I thought J Crawford looked similar (Good) when I saw his highlights. :(

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 am

Lake Camelot wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:25 am
My concern: I thought J Crawford looked similar (Good) when I saw his highlights. :(
Fair point. I'm not sure Jalen Crawford had the offers and interest this kid had both out of HS and from a year at prep school. I'd also add that if Jalen Crawford had any desire whatsoever he could have been a much better player.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 am

Jalen did score a little bit, but that was it.

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 am

As far as the question as to why he hasn't been more highly recruited, to me it looks like that while he's a great scorer, he's not an eye-popping athlete. I think he has the makings of a perfect Valley guard.

Don’t see a lot of lift on the videos, so won’t be athletic in the sense of the sense of ever playing above the rim. The other video shows more of it, but there does look to be athleticism in the sense of being able to make some plays near his top speed, some sudden stops and nice finishes from tough spots.

Of course, we only see the makes. I’d like to have some mid range scoring on the team. It’s not something you actively want to take as far as a shot, but when a good team like Loyola is clamping down on you, it might be the only thing they are giving you many possessions.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 am

dss03 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 am
BradleyBrave wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 am

Don’t see a lot of lift on the videos, so won’t be athletic in the sense of the sense of ever playing above the rim. The other video shows more of it, but there does look to be athleticism in the sense of being able to make some plays near his top speed, some sudden stops and nice finishes from tough spots.

Of course, we only see the makes. I’d like to have some mid range scoring on the team. It’s not something you actively want to take as far as a shot, but when a good team like Loyola is clamping down on you, it might be the only thing they are giving you many possessions.
Good points dss. There are countless instances of guards who are not 'plus' athletes, perhaps undersized, but know how to play and are really, really good basketball players. The extreme example is Jalen Brunson. More relevant examples to BU are Tony Bennett, Will Franklin, Sam Maniscalco, and Darrell Brown. If Nero is the guy, I think it would give our incoming freshman class the savvy/skilled 'basketball player' to go with the elite/plus athlete in Brummett.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 am

Honestly, I'd probably prefer the Messiah over Nero, but I think a Nero-type would give us our most complete and diverse roster since probably 2006.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 am

squirrel wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 am
Honestly, I'd probably prefer the Messiah over Nero, but I think a Nero-type would give us our most complete and diverse roster since probably 2006.
Spring is a total cr@pshoot, but Loyola offering the Lincoln Park kid over Messiah kind of tells me that maybe he's not that good. He's got an offer from Towson now, and that's about the only one I have heard of.

And I agree on your roster assessment if Nero is the guy. The talent level between that roster and Geno's last year would be night and day, and that roster had Josh and Donte on it. True progress upward.