BU opponents

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Re: BU opponents

Post by dogsrus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:10 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:55 pm
I never knew I was such a Thundering Herd fan. Go Marshall!
I ordered thundering herd shirt on line just for today..... got a dart board with Marshall’s wife’s face on it too....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

bradley_townie
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by bradley_townie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:40 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 am
The committee has essentially said that the regular season is useless, especially for midmajors. If you're not 'Power 5', you're going to have to win your conference tournament. The message is clear, and it's only going to get worse as these leagues go to 20 game conference schedules. So I don't really care who we play in the non-con anymore. Schedule games we can win and games that get us ready to get us a good seed in St. Louis. All the metrics - non-con SOS, road wins, blah blah blah - useless with the current system. Useless.
Having signature non-con wins still counts for something. What would Loyola's seed be without the Florida win? I seriously doubt they'd be an 11 and get a favorable game against Miami.

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:52 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:32 pm
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:19 pm
real fan wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Which is why you have to win the Valley tournament if you expect to play in the big one. This is why the Valley needs to go to 16 teams to become more relevant in the future.
So you want to water down the league even more? Going to 16 just to go to 16 is the wrong move. What 6 schools would you get, that are realistic, that would legitimately raise the profile of the Valley higher than it already is?
Exactly. For all the people who want expansion what schools is the MVC getting? I will give you one (Murray State). Now, find me five more realistic options.
I imagine the logic is to make it more like a Power league so there is a better chance of multiple bids.

It gives a bit more leeway if you end up with a couple low 100's RPIs like we had this season.

Problem is, like you said, where are we going to get 6 schools that are in our geographic blueprint that either don't have football or would be considered a step up for the MVCFC and would pass the league vote...

That would be incredibly hard to do....Hell, we couldn't even get enough support to pass Murray State through, which most would consider a slam dunk addition....

I mean I am sure we could put together a comprehensive list of basketball schools that could work for basketball, but would they really necessarily WORK in all facets?

I still stand by Murray State and Northern Kentucky and then let it settle for a little while and see where we are at in 2021.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

MissouriValleyUnite
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Todd Golden reads the MVC for filth for not adding Murray State.
http://www.tribstar.com/sports/todd-aar ... 9ae4e.html

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:59 pm

bradley_townie wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Having signature non-con wins still counts for something. What would Loyola's seed be without the Florida win? I seriously doubt they'd be an 11 and get a favorable game against Miami.

Who knows...I'd say no less than a 13, but even without Florida it could be argued they did enough for a 12, but Buffalo wouldn't be a 13 for me either and they proved that last night.

Mid major champion auto-bids:

12:
Davidson - 47 RPI (21 wins)
NM State - 35 RPI (25 wins)
Murray State - 48 RPI (24 wins)

13:
Buffalo - 25 RPI (25 wins)
Charleston - 57 RPI (24 wins)
UNCG - 65 RPI (24 wins)
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:02 pm

dogsrus wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:10 pm
JMM28 wrote:
I ordered thundering herd shirt on line just for today..... got a dart board with Marshall’s wife’s face on it too....
My question...

Where in the hell can we get a Jon Elmore?!

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:09 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:56 pm
Completely agree with everything, but lets say it again for what it is...when it comes down to it and the folks ask Elgin, his opinion is going to be that of narrow mindedness and zero desire to change and just let the world pass by.

Now we all know in the end its really up to the schools in a vote, but the commissioner and his assistant take great lengths in making their expansion (or lack of) opinion known. Whats odd is they being Elgin and Watkins are at odds about what would better the league, which makes things all the more interesting. Watkins had explored expansion on his own and I have talked to some in the know folks that said the league has the capability and opening to expand again and have everything in place prior to the next league season, but Elgin did not like that idea and who knows where they're at now because he poo-pooed it.

We have all discussed at great length where it looks like the NCAA and the tournament are going, so why stand pat? Why not do whatever you possibly can to be on the good side to where you can make the conference look as great and as strong as possible?

Murray State can certainly help with that....get them and the next best available --- whether that be Northern Kentucky, Wright State, or someone else.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:02 pm
dogsrus wrote:
JMM28 wrote:
My question...

Where in the hell can we get a Jon Elmore?!
Would be nice.... they are out there....,hunt em down Warden!!!!
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

JMM28
All World
All World

Post by JMM28 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm

dogsrus wrote:
JMM28 wrote:
. got a dart board with Marshall’s wife’s face on it too....
You’re just the latest in a long line of men to treat her like a dartboard.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:59 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm
dogsrus wrote:
JMM28 wrote:
. got a dart board with Marshall’s wife’s face on it too....
You’re just the latest in a long line of men to treat her like a dartboard.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Yeah, wow! :lol:
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

MissouriValleyUnite

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:49 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:09 pm
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:56 pm
Completely agree with everything, but lets say it again for what it is...when it comes down to it and the folks ask Elgin, his opinion is going to be that of narrow mindedness and zero desire to change and just let the world pass by.

Now we all know in the end its really up to the schools in a vote, but the commissioner and his assistant take great lengths in making their expansion (or lack of) opinion known. Whats odd is they being Elgin and Watkins are at odds about what would better the league, which makes things all the more interesting. Watkins had explored expansion on his own and I have talked to some in the know folks that said the league has the capability and opening to expand again and have everything in place prior to the next league season, but Elgin did not like that idea and who knows where they're at now because he poo-pooed it.

We have all discussed at great length where it looks like the NCAA and the tournament are going, so why stand pat? Why not do whatever you possibly can to be on the good side to where you can make the conference look as great and as strong as possible?

Murray State can certainly help with that....get them and the next best available --- whether that be Northern Kentucky, Wright State, or someone else.
Watkins revealed in a radio interview last summer that the MVC let Scottrade know to prepare for 12 teams and 4 Thursday games beginning in 2019. Unfortunately that recording is no longer online. Imagine Elgin went nuts when Watkins leaked that publicly.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:01 pm

I realize basketball drives the boat. But outside of that Murray State has very little to offer the MVC. I would see adding someone like Milwaukee before Murray. I would even lean towards NKU over Murray.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

JMM28
All World
All World

Post by JMM28 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:16 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:01 pm
I realize basketball drives the boat. But outside of that Murray State has very little to offer the MVC. I would see adding someone like Milwaukee before Murray. I would even lean towards NKU over Murray.
I kind of agree. Murray is good, but I worry about a paying for past performance scenario. I think that is what happened with Valpo and Evansville and those two will seemingly be consistently at the bottom of the league. UNI was not a popular choice when they were added - they were more of a bet on future performance and it paid off.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:21 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:16 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:01 pm
I kind of agree. Murray is good, but I worry about a paying for past performance scenario. I think that is what happened with Valpo and Evansville and those two will seemingly be consistently at the bottom of the league. UNI was not a popular choice when they were added - they were more of a bet on future performance and it paid off.
No MVC school draws students from Murray, KY. They do draw from MKE and Cincy. That matters a lot. Especially to the private schools. Getting into Wisconsin would be a smart play by the MVC.
~Thomas Jefferson

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:00 pm

N.Kentucky, Oakland, Wright St, Murray St, UWM and one more to make 16.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:22 am

I love Fran Fraschilla.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Taylor to Northwestern. Must really like Purple.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:15 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:01 pm
Taylor to Northwestern. Must really like Purple.
I think Northwestern fans will be disappointed with what they are getting here.
~Thomas Jefferson