2017-18 DI Hoops Coaching Carousel

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: 2017-18 DI Hoops Coaching Carousel

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 pm

At least Rhode Island did everything they could to keep Danny Hurley:

MissouriValleyUnite
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 am

3 minute presser with Drake AD

Niko informed Drake AD Tuesday night he had pulled out of CSU search and invited him over to his house where the AD and Niko and his family celebrated over scotch and their mutual reaffirmation to build Drake the right way.

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:17 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 am

Niko informed Drake AD Tuesday night he had pulled out of CSU search and invited him over to his house where the AD and Niko and his family celebrated over scotch and their mutual reaffirmation to build Drake the right way.
You can see the anger all over his face and I can’t blame him. It’s not a good look.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 am

EKU will hire NC State assistant coach AW Hamilton. Hamilton has been on a DI bench just one year following 6 years as a prep school coach at Hargrave Military Academy, with a 237-22 record.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 am

"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:01 am

Please tell me they’re gonna send CSU to Drake for the Mountain West matchup next year.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:27 am

Tony Madlock is joining Penny Hardaway's staff at Memphis. Madlock was a top assistant for Andy Kennedy at Ole Miss, and has also been an assistant at UTEP, Auburn, and Arkansas State. They also played together collegiately at Memphis.

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 am

dss03 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:17 am

You can see the anger all over his face and I can’t blame him. It’s not a good look.
I don't blame him either. That is a really shady thing to do, but as someone I believe said above, he is apparently a guy that you shouldn't trust.

In football they call it Kiffin'd.

In basketball recent memory, they called it Beard-ed.

I guess now we would call it Niko'd.

No one wants to get Niko'd.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 am

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 am
dss03 wrote:

I don't blame him either. That is a really shady thing to do, but as someone I believe said above, he is apparently a guy that you shouldn't trust.

Niko. What a t*rd. AD shoulda gone Bobby Portis on him. Never trust a commie.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Montana coach Travis DeCuire, whose name has been linked with several vacancies, gets a 3-year extension
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /33208257/

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:01 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 am
dss03 wrote:

If I’m competing for a recruit with CSU I’m playing that video and asking how you could possibly know that you’d be playing for him.

Drake has such a mess on their hands with all the schollys that will be opening up. That’s just coldblooded on Niko’s part.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:27 pm

dss03 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:01 am
Please tell me they’re gonna send CSU to Drake for the Mountain West matchup next year.
Please god let this happen..... However, I dont want it to happen at the same time because I would want Drake to stick it to them and they arent going to be able to stick it to anybody next year with what they are losing.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

BUFanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by BUFanatic » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Dang it now I’m rooting for Drake a little next year.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:07 pm

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:15 pm

Arkansas Little Rock Wes Flanigan fired.

Bryant Tim O’Shea retired.

Cal State Northridge Fired Reggie Theus. Hired former Murray State, Alabama, and NC State head coach Mark Gottfried.

Charlotte fired Mark Price. Hired Virginia associate head coach Ron Sanchez.

Chicago State Fired Tracy Dildy.

Colorado State Larry Eustachy fired. Hired Drake head coach Niko Medved.

Connecticut Kevin Ollie fired. Hired Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley.

Delaware State Fired Keith Walker.

Drake Niko Medved left to become Colorado State head coach.

East Carolina fired Jeff Lebo.

Eastern Kentucky fired Dan McHale. Hired NC State assistant coach AW Hamilton.

Evansville fired Marty Simmons. Hired Boston Celtics assistant Walter McCarty. McCarty is an Evansville native and has been an NBA assistant since 2010 and before that, he was an assistant for Pitino at Louisville.

Florida Atlantic fired Michael Curry. Hired Florida assistant coach Dusty May. May is generally considered the top or lead assistant but does not hold the associate head coach title.

Fresno State Rodney Terry left to become head coach at UTEP.

Georgia Mark Fox fired. Thad Matta first candidate offered, but declined. Hired former Marquette and Indiana head coach Tom Crean.

High Point Scott Cherry fired.

Incarnate Word Fired Ken Burmeister. Hired (NAIA) Caroll College (MT) Carson Cunningham.

LaSalle fired John Giannini.

Longwood Fired Jayson Gee. Hired UMBC Director of Recruiting and Player Development Griff Aldrich.

Louisville Fired Rick Pitino. Interim coach Scott Padgett not retained.

Loyola (MD) G.G. Smith fired.

Maine fired Bob Walsh. Hired former women’s coach and administrative staff member Richard Barron.

Marist fired Mike Maker.

McNeese State did not renew Dave Simmons. Hired current BYU assistant and former Portland State, Wyoming and UT-Martin head coach Heath Schroyer.

Memphis fired Tubby Smith. Hired Memphis alum and NBAer Penny Hardaway, currently a local HS coach.

Middle Tennessee Kermit Davis left to become Ole Miss head coach. Hired UNC Asheville head coach Nick McDevitt.

Mississippi Andy Kennedy fired. Hired MTSU head coach Kermit Davis.

Missouri State Paul Lusk fired. Hired Tennessee State head coach Dana Ford. Ford played at Illinois State and served on the bench at both Illinois State and Wichita State.

Nicholls State Richie Riley left to become South Alabama head coach.

North Alabama Bobby Champagne not renewed.

Pepperdine Fired Marty Wilson. Hired Arizona interim head coach, and former Pepperdine, SLU and Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar.

Pittsburgh Kevin Stallings fired.

Rhode Island Dan Hurley left to become UConn head coach.

San Diego Lamont Smith resigned after being placed on administrative leave following non-basketball legal issues.

South Alabama Matthew Graves fired. Hired Nicholls State head coach Richie Riley.

South Dakota Craig Smith left to become head coach at Utah State.

Tennessee State Dana Ford left to become Missouri State head coach. Hired Illinois State assistant coach Penyn Collins.

UC Riverside Dennis Cutts fired. Hired TCU assistant David Patrick.

USC Upstate fired Kyle Perry.

UNC Asheville Nick McDevitt left to become head coach at MTSU.

Utah State Tim Duryrea fired. Hired South Dakota head coach Craig Smith.

UTEP Tim Floyd retired. Hired Fresno State head coach Rodney Terry.

Western Carolina Larry Hunter retired.
Last edited by squirrel on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Bona's Mark Schmidt interviewed at Pitt.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:53 pm

Going back to Niko, and apologies of this was already mentioned, but he left Furman last year while they were still playing in the CIT.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Update regarding who may be replacing Kermit Davis at Middle Tennessee:

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:16 am

McDevitt to Middle Tennessee is official:

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:38 am

Interesting tweet.

“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:53 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:38 am
Interesting tweet.

Not sure what the axe to grind here is...Wardle wanted to bring at least one other assistant with him, and was unable to do so. Bradley has to also recruit nationally, not just regionally...even though it's ignored the regional part too much lately.

But Cornelius has been employed each of the 3 years since Wardle has taken the Bradley job. Being bitter because you've been toiling in the HBCU leagues doesn't mean you're unemployed. :lol:

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:09 am

squirrel wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:53 am
BradleyBrave wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:38 am
Interesting tweet.

Not sure what the axe to grind here is...Wardle wanted to bring at least one other assistant with him, and was unable to do so. Bradley has to also recruit nationally, not just regionally...even though it's ignored the regional part too much lately.

But Cornelius has been employed each of the 3 years since Wardle has taken the Bradley job. Being bitter because you've been toiling in the HBCU leagues doesn't mean you're unemployed. :lol:
Yeah, not sure what the grind is either. Just found it interesting.

The guys who run this are a little sketchy but it’s a pretty good follow this time of year.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:31 am

McDevitt to MTSU official.

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:32 am

I’m not anti Chicago, but we went so hard after it and it ended so poorly, & you know how this works...there will have to be recriminations in the short term. You will be on “The List”.

Too much egg on the face, and too clean a break turning over almost the entire roster to patch that over with one assistant hire. Wardle was smart enough to know he had to look other directions given the background of the job he was taking, and he has done so with some success. Hopefully, we can get more involved and start getting some talent up there again soon though.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:59 am

The Giannini thing was interesting timing, because I was thinking about guys that are squarely on the hot seat that have been done for some time now...he would have been on that list.

Some others:

Mark Turgeon, Maryland This one may seem odd to appear here, but one has to understand Maryland's perspective. They view themselves as title contenders, and when they first moved into the Big Ten, they were. However, in each of their 4 years since the move, the win totals have declined to the point of missing the NCAA this season. It's a very short lease moving forward.

Fran McCaffery, Iowa How many non-NCAA years will the Hawkeys tolerate? It stands at two consecutive misses now, with just an 11 win season this year.

Tim Miles, Nebraska This is going to be one of those perpetual hot seat situations. Likely gone this year, the Huskers won 22 games and went to the NIT this year. But it's just Miles' second winning year there in 6 seasons.

Danny Manning, Wake Forest NCAA in 2017 is the only bright spot, as the other 3 seasons have all been below .500, and this year with losses to Liberty, Drake, and Georgia Southern.

Fran Dunphy, Temple Just one NCAA appearance since moving to AAC, and just 1 game over .500 overall over last 2 seasons.

Wayne Tinkle, Oregon State Despite taking the Beavers to their first NCAA appearance in a really long time in 2016, has not finished higher than 6th in the Pac-12 in 4 years, winning just 1 league game in 2017. They did bounce back to .500 overall this year.

Chris Mooney, Richmond Another perpetual hot seat situation, this is a program that expects NCAA appearances, and they haven't gone since 2011 with just 2 NIT appearances in the 7 years since, and the team finishing just 12-20 this year (but .500 in league).

Phil Martelli, St. Joseph's Most likely saved his job when his incredibly young Hawks surged from 9-14 to 16-16, winning 7 of their last 9, including a win at Rhode Island and giving them fits again in the A10 semis. But with the .500 finish, the Hawks have finished at or below the break even point 3 of their last 5 seasons, but the other 2 seasons have also been NCAA appearances. Pressure really elevates if the team doesn't contend next year.

Greg Lansing, Indiana State Still not entirely sure why he didn't more aggressively try and get out of Terre Haute earlier in his tenure, but after 4 straight postseasons has 4 straight losing seasons.

Mike Dunlap, LMU 48-75 (23-49 WCC) after 4 seasons, without a winning record overall or in league.

Anthony Evans, FIU Zero winning seasons in 5 years with the Panthers.

Dan Monson, Long Beach Once a dominant force in the Big West, the 49ers have not finished better than 3rd since 2013, and have quickly collapsed into mediocrity over the past 5 years. Parlayed a brutal schedule into an NIT appearance in 2016 which probably gives him some breathing room.

Steve Masiello, Manhattan His ill-fated return to Manhattan in 2014 has been exactly that. Though they reached the NCAA in 2015, the program has had 3 straight losing seasons.

Mark Montgomery, NIU It took a 5 long, grueling years and lots of patience, but the Huskies became respectable in 2016, winning 21 games and participating the inaugural Vegas 16. But things have gone in reverse since then, with 2016 remaining the program's only winning year in Montgomery's 7, and .500 being the best league finish.

Jay Spoonhour, EIU After four straight 3rd place OVC divisional finishes, the Panthers have dropped to 5th and 8th. Only overall winning season was year 3 (18-15) and only winning league campaigns were years 3 and 4.

Billy Wright, WIU Quickly becoming put up or shut up time for Wright, as the program has a solid core of young players returning with 7 of their top 8 coming back, and the Kansas prep player of the year coming in.

Jon Harris, SIUE Just 12-67 after 3 years and win totals of 6-6-9, and a former successful coach recently available, this one probably turns over within another year or two.

Matt Matheny, Elon How much shelf life he'll get out of 2017's 4th place CAA finish is TBD. While he had built a good Southern Conference program, they're just 72-88 in 4 years after moving to the CAA.

Sydney Johnson, Fairfield A name familiar to Bradley fans from the 2011 search, parlayed a strong Princeton performance into this questionable move, after 7 seasons is 107-125 (62-72 MAAC), with just 3 CIT appearances and 14 or more losses every season.

Andrew O'Toole, Robert Morris The Colonials have surprisingly suffered three straight losing seasons and have not finished higher than 5th in the NEC, where several programs have shown upward movement.

Tommy Dempsey, Binghamton Probably given a longer leash after inheriting a program in major probabtion trouble. Has failed to eclipse 5 league wins or 12 overall in 6 years. However, since this is a NY State school, this could be a slow moving one that happens closer to the end of their fiscal year which could be May, June or July.

Mike Brennan, American Led Eagles to NCAA in first season following a second place season. But in each of his 5 seasons, the wins have decreased 20-17-12-8 to 6 this year, with just 3 league wins.

Fran O'Hanlon, Lafayette Not really a hot seat so much as a gentle push toward retirement. The 70-year O'Hanlon has led the Leopards since 1994, and despite an NCAA appearance in 2015 (in a year they finished .500 and 4th in the Patriot League), otherwise have 4 losing seasons in 5 with 11 wins being the high water mark of the losing campaigns.