Wrong direction

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Wrong direction

Post by real fan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:31 pm

We are headed in the wrong direction and can no longer make excuses about our youth because SIU and Ill. st. return everybody next season while we lose Thomas which is to us a huge loss. Where is the improvement after playing so many games because right now I see the opposite as we are going the wrong way.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Wrong direction

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:36 pm

I think we might have 1 win left.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:38 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:36 pm
I think we might have 1 win left.
Just sad, tired of losing with no end in sight.

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Does this say more about Wardle or BU
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 pm

JD wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:50 pm
I think it says absolutely nothing about anything.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:07 pm

We are where most of us thought we'd be. Let the season play out guys.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:54 pm

JD wrote:
Both, to me this type of play this late in the year against average competition at best says we are a long way from seeing good winning basketball. We have too many below average players on this team because we decided to keep them instead of finding better ones. That decision may be the reason why we begin the process of finding a new leader in 2 seasons. I see us playing 3 to 4 players that are basically role guys off the bench because they cannot play both ends of the floor. Why this staff cannot find a good shooting guard like most of the teams have is just hard to understand.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:08 pm

i’m frustrated too.... i get it.... but i think we have to take a deep breath and remember just how bad we were 2 years and 20 some games ago....

We are better.... i’m a broken record but how many recruiting classes has Porter had..... Lusk....Mueller.....Marty...... InSU.....it’s a talent issue plain n simple IMO.

Kennel, Hodgson need to be guys coming off the bench. We are 2 solid players short right now... end of the year with DT going it will be 3.

We have 4 games left... 2-2 would be a good season.... 3-1 would be very good.... 1-3, 0-4 would be rather disappointing but just further prove we need more talent.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

braves1996
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by braves1996 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:17 pm

dogsrus wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:08 pm
i’m frustrated too.... i get it.... but i think we have to take a deep breath and remember just how bad we were 2 years and 20 some games ago....

We are better.... i’m a broken record but how many recruiting classes has Porter had..... Lusk....Mueller.....Marty...... InSU.....it’s a talent issue plain n simple IMO.

Kennel, Hodgson need to be guys coming off the bench. We are 2 solid players short right now... end of the year with DT going it will be 3.

We have 4 games left... 2-2 would be a good season.... 3-1 would be very good.... 1-3, 0-4 would be rather disappointing but just further prove we need more talent.
Exactly.

Last year 219

This year 106.

DRASTIC improvement in a FAR better conference.

People
Who don’t see this can’t be helped. Still the youngest team in the valley. Want to push blame? Talked to glasser and co. This is a 5 year rebuild that has this team and next years team in he 4-6 range. Right on par with what we should have expected. Year 5 will be title run year. (But look how close we were to 2nd place. this year. Sadly Mo isn’t coaching and recruiting, another guy is. And it will take time)

bradley_townie
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by bradley_townie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:27 pm

JD wrote:
Good question. I don't believe Drake, UNI or SIU are that much more talented than Bradley. So then it becomes a question of why this team cannot compete lately. Lack of mental toughness and communication among the players leads to easy buckets from the opposition when the going gets tough. The score widens, guys hang their heads, they lose focus. Coaches get frustrated at the players, players get frustrated with themselves. Lack of ability for the coaches to get through to the players is both a coaching problem and a player problem. Good coaches need to recruit players who can be vocal leaders on the court and lead through their play. No one has really stepped up to be that guy on this Bradley team yet. Maybe another year or so someone will emerge.

Braveman
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Braveman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Easy people..... the sky is not falling... We can argue whether SIU is better than us, but the fact is we are much better than a year ago....
“The powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?”

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:41 pm

bradley_townie wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:27 pm
JD wrote:
Good question. I don't believe Drake, UNI or SIU are that much more talented than Bradley. So then it becomes a question of why this team cannot compete lately. Lack of mental toughness and communication among the players leads to easy buckets from the opposition when the going gets tough. The score widens, guys hang their heads, they lose focus. Coaches get frustrated at the players, players get frustrated with themselves. Lack of ability for the coaches to get through to the players is both a coaching problem and a player problem. Good coaches need to recruit players who can be vocal leaders on the court and lead through their play. No one has really stepped up to be that guy on this Bradley team yet. Maybe another year or so someone will emerge.
Well we split with two of those teams... dang near stole one on the road from the other and laid an egg against them at out place. Quite frankly the DU home loss is really our biggest failure....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:06 pm

braves1996 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:17 pm
dogsrus wrote:

Exactly.

Last year 219

This year 106.

People
Who don’t see this can’t be helped. Still the youngest team in the valley. Want to push blame? Talked to glasser and co. This is a 5 year rebuild that has this team and next years team in he 4-6 range. Right on par with what we should have expected. Year 5 will be title run year. (But look how close we were to 2nd place. this year. Sadly Mo isn’t coaching and recruiting, another guy is. And it will take time)
Far better conference my ***. We lost a top 25 program and replaced it with a last place program. The team that tied with them for the title has had almost total roster turnover.

We’re p-ssing away a resurgent season. Starting fast and finishing near the bottom (Thursday) in a depleted league isn’t progress. It’s leveling off. Instead of picking fights AGAIN with the beat writer maybe just answer the questions and figure out how to save the *** season.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

ollienanyes

Post by ollienanyes » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Braveman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:32 pm
Easy people..... the sky is not falling... We can argue whether SIU is better than us, but the fact is we are much better than a year ago....
Agreed. We have a good shot at winning two more games and breaking even in MVC play. That is an improvement from the past few years.

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Our 2nd, 3rd, 4th worst defensive efficiency games of the season are our last 3 games. We’re now 8th in conference in defensive efficiency. I did not see that coming.

Maybe it’s moving up in class and having a team see us twice. I’d suggest we don’t have enough guys that are consistent enough and good enough to be pulling 30 plus mins, and maybe going essentially 7 deep isn’t serving the team all that well.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 pm

dss03 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 pm
Our 2nd, 3rd, 4th worst defensive efficiency games of the season are our last 3 games. We’re now 8th in conference in defensive efficiency. I did not see that coming.

Maybe it’s moving up in class and having a team see us twice. I’d suggest we don’t have enough guys that are consistent enough and good enough to be pulling 30 plus mins, and maybe going essentially 7 deep isn’t serving the team all that well.
Maybe there was a method to the frequent subbing some folks complained about? Guys look awfully tired now.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:27 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:06 pm
braves1996 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:17 pm
dogsrus wrote:

Exactly.

Last year 219

This year 106.

People
Far better conference my ***. We lost a top 25 program and replaced it with a last place program. The team that tied with them for the title has had almost total roster turnover.

We’re p-ssing away a resurgent season. Starting fast and finishing near the bottom (Thursday) in a depleted league isn’t progress. It’s leveling off. Instead of picking fights AGAIN with the beat writer maybe just answer the questions and figure out how to save the *** season.
Great post.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:30 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 pm
dss03 wrote:

Maybe there was a method to the frequent subbing some folks complained about? Guys look awfully tired now.
SIU was going with 7 players pretty much and other teams are also playing their starters many minutes. Tired to me is only an excuse to lose.

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 pm
dss03 wrote:

Yeah that’s what I think, but whatever the case, the one constant had been that they will guard people and then, poof, it’s gone. Pretty stunning.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 am

People realize we're still E for the conference year, right? The only reason we got 2 above .500 is because of a schedule quirk that put back to back home games, leaving back to back road games this week.

We beat a bad team on the road (InSU) and lost at home to our one bad matchup (the Drake). It just happened that the InSU win was sandwiched by 3 home games and Drake happened right in front of 2 roadies. This current situation is just simply a creation of the scheduling Gods. I haven't seen our play dip too much as of late. Just running into a meatier spot on the schedule.

Now if your argument is we should be improving, fine.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

ollienanyes

Post by ollienanyes » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 am

A thought: if you go by the ESPN power index correction, 3 conference games didn't go the way that the index predicted:

Loyloa at home (mild BU upset)
ISU-blue on the road (mild BU upset)
Drake at home (mild Drake upset)

The rest of the games went the way that the index predicted.

However, we seem to fall apart toward the end of losing games and lose by bigger scores than the point spread would predict.

Lefty
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lefty » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:39 am

dss03 wrote:

Exactly.....if you have a team of upperclassmen you might be able to go 7 deep and play consistently well......pretty hard to do with a young team IMO

jim beam
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by jim beam » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:52 am

A lot of you guys are way more analytical than I when it comes to what you base your thoughts and opinions on. Indexes, power rankings, what experts say and see. That's fine and I learn some stuff from reading here. But none of it really means anything to me personally. I just base my opinions and thoughts on what I see. Bottom line for me is I don't see a lot of improvement as a trend. I see pockets and glimmers of improvement. I'm not talking about wins and losses. I'm talking about on the court performance. I see laziness, poor decisions, lack of effort, poor fundamentals. Bad shooting is one thing, guys don't try to miss shots..but they can control how they respond to a bad pass, poor defense, getting used on the glass and I don't see much difference in some of these guys today than week one.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

bcg

Post by bcg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:56 am

I agree that BU is going in the wrong direction currently, but the jury is still out on the season. If Bradley beats Illinois State and Indiana State at home, I think the momentum for the program continues forward.

Obviously, Bradley needs to upgrade the talent level and not have so much dead weight on the end of the bench.

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:07 am

I'm so *** sick of the young and tired comments...those are just more excuses for people that are ok with being average or mediocre.

When will it end?! STOP providing built in excuses for why we haven't gotten better over the course of the season...

If it's not one thing its something else!
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---