ICYMI: Bradley baseball

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

ICYMI: Bradley baseball

Post by squirrel » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Opened their season 2-1 in Georgia over the weekend, including a 10-7 win over #29 Georgia Tech.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Re: ICYMI: Bradley baseball

Post by BradleyBrave » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 am

squirrel wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm
Opened their season 2-1 in Georgia over the weekend, including a 10-7 win over #29 Georgia Tech.
Also, sophomore sensation Brendan Dougherty was the MVC Player of the Week.

http://www.mvc-sports.com/news/2018/2/1 ... eb_19.aspx
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 am

I have really no base of knowledge on the baseball team historically, but it seems like Elvis is doing a pretty good job in relation to the historic results of the program?

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 am

Baseball swept a doubleheader from South Dakota St and had the finale rained out. They sit at 4-1 on the young season.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:26 pm

Bradley baseball increased their winning streak to 5 games with a win today over South Dakota St to complete the 3 game sweep. They now sit at 5-1 on the season.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:40 am

The Braves also swept Belmont over the weekend to improve to 8-1. They'll play a 3-game set at Jacksonville this weekend, as well as a one-off at UCF before their spring break tournament.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:55 pm

BU alum vying for a spot in the Sox bullpen.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:19 am

Baseball Braves avoided a sweep against Jacksonville with a 12-8 win in the series finale. Losing 2 of 3, the record is now 9-3 and they will play Top 20 UCF (13-3) in a one-off before starting their spring break tourney in FL.

Several Valley teams are off to a strong start, with Illinois State 7-5, but 24 in the RPI. Bradley is 38 after the Jacksonville series (they were 73 last week) and should get a boost from UCF tomorrow. Indiana State is 42 at 8-5. Dallas Baptist has struggled early at 8-6 but still rank 63.

ollienanyes
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by ollienanyes » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:09 pm

I go to a fair number of these and often sit right behind home plate. Feel free to say "hi".

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Tough 6-5 loss to UCF, but the Braves went 2-1 in their Florida tourney, defeating Webber (not Weber St) 11-1 and splitting with UMass to improve 11-5 overall. Also, Elvis earned career win 400 with the win over Webber.

They next play a softer string of Chicago St and 3 non-DIs before playing Illinois and Iowa.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:44 pm

After weather has forced the cancellation of three straight games (all vs. non-DI's), tomorrow's game against Illinois has been postponed, and efforts will be made to get this one in at a TBD future date.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:14 pm

Braves take 2 of 3 from the Sycamores to improve to 17-8 on the year. They've won both league series (the other being Valpo) before heading to Evansville next weekend. They host Iowa on Tuesday night and visit SLU on Wednesday for a couple mid-week non-conference games.

The Illinois game was rescheduled for April 24, but will now be a road game (but also on BTN+).

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:44 am

Tonight's game with Iowa has been cancelled.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:20 am

#25 Dallas Baptist beat #4 Texas Tech 6-5 last night. Their RPI is only 53, however. Bradley is 69 in the RPI, and one of 4 league teams ranked between 40-70. One of those is Indiana State, whom the Braves took 2 of 3 from over the weekend.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Baseball Braves came from behind to beat the Aces 8-5, taking the first two in the series. With a sweep tomorrow, they'll have win #20 (20-9 overall) and improve to 7-2 in Valley play, having won each of their 3 series in league (granted those teams currently occupy 3 of the last 4 spots in the standings).

They lost their midweek game to SLU.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 pm

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:27 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 pm
Thanks Joanne.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:10 pm

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Big win today for the Braves against Missouri St. Rubber game tomorrow.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Huge loss for the Braves. Hopefully his absence is a short one.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:42 pm

Brutal afternoon: 13-2 Bears.

BUFanatic

Post by BUFanatic » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:12 am

squirrel wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:42 pm
Brutal afternoon: 13-2 Bears.
oof, that's like a terrible cricket innings. 130 for 8 against 20 for 10. Bears win by two wickets in a low scoring ODI haha! Still great run by the Braves so far!
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:43 am

Historians - what was our conference finish, RPI, and SOS when we got our at large bid a few years ago? Right now we sit at 3rd in the MVC with an RPI of 70 (MSU is 51, DBU is 42) and an SOS of 205. The MVC is the 10th rated conference. Just curious how that aligns with our NCAA year. With a strong finish and strong showing in the conference tourney I’d think we’d be close to at large consideration again.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:04 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:43 am
Historians - what was our conference finish, RPI, and SOS when we got our at large bid a few years ago? Right now we sit at 3rd in the MVC with an RPI of 70 (MSU is 51, DBU is 42) and an SOS of 205. The MVC is the 10th rated conference. Just curious how that aligns with our NCAA year. With a strong finish and strong showing in the conference tourney I’d think we’d be close to at large consideration again.
Don't have any numbers for verification, but I do recall that season was fairly unique because the Big Ten was loaded and had a bunch of NCAA teams, while the Valley was lifted by that because the two leagues play a considerable number of games and series against each other, with the Valley doing very well that year in those matchups. This year with the crummy weather and cancellations, the rankings are poor this year with Indiana checking in at 19 and Minnesota at 28 and Ohio St at 38 as the only top 40 teams.

So I would still imagine it's win the conference tournament to get in.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sun May 06, 2018 6:16 pm

Braves take 2 of 3 from the Redbirds to match the most road wins in a single season in program history. Braves are now 28-12 and 10-5 MVC, having won all 3 league road series to date.