O/T Bradley student killed

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

O/T Bradley student killed

Post by Lake Camelot » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:59 am

BREAKING: @bradleyu and Peoria County Coroner Jamie Harwood confirm 1 of the 2 victims of double-homicide at 1821 W. Bradley Ave. was a BU student, Nasjay Murry, 18, a pre-med major from Chicago

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Re: O/T Bradley student killed

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Horrible. Seems like there is a tragic death at Bradley almost every other year if not annually.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:34 pm

And this is the second death of a BU student this year. There was a suicide earlier in the spring semester as well.

So senseless. A minority pre-med student that could have been a true future leader.

Hope the shooter is also not affiliated with the school.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Bradley will fly its flags at half mast for 3 days. And since this has created confusion for some in the past-this means Bradley University flags-not the US/State of Illinois flags.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

ATGGuy
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by ATGGuy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Peoria Crimestoppers will pay a cash award of $5,000 for information that leads to the arrest and charging of a suspect in homicides by gunfire.

Speak-up here: http://www.peoriaareacrimestoppers.com/index.aspx

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:48 pm

First murder in the 121 year history of the university. Just absolutely tragic.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Seems really unusual to me that a large party with around 100 people is taking place and there is no information on descriptions of people.

RobertsonFieldHouse7
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by RobertsonFieldHouse7 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:03 pm

What kind of "descriptions of the people" are you searching for?

Think back to the last party of 100 you attended.

Maybe it was like that.

Or maybe it wasn't.

Why do the "descriptions of the people" matter? Are you concerned that they were all overweight? A convention of Little People? Too many people from East Peoria? Not enough from Chillicothe? Perhaps they were all on a binge from Bueller Home?

What possible depth of understanding could "descriptions of the people" bring to your knowledge that a tragedy occured, and one of the people is dead? Someone's son. What more description do you need?

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:10 pm

I guess people was the wrong word. I thought it could be more than one. I was talking about the shooter/shooters. Not the partygoers.

I thought it might help to locate them is the reason I thought there would be a description.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:22 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:48 pm
First murder in the 121 year history of the university. Just absolutely tragic.
*Involving a student. There were two faculty murders (Constance, and Volturno; although neither on campus, one was near the Northwestern campus), and although while technically not murder, the Danny Dahlquist episode was a retaliatory joke gone horribly wrong. Nevertheless, still completely and totally senseless.

RobertsonFieldHouse7
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by RobertsonFieldHouse7 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Sorry Camelot ... I over-reacted ... you're right that descriptions of the shooters can help the public ID for PD ...

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:13 pm

No problem. My post was confusing.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:20 pm

RobertsonFieldHouse7 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 pm
Sorry Camelot ... I over-reacted ... you're right that descriptions of the shooters can help the public ID for PD ...
It sounds like the police are keeping their information close to the vest, which is not unusual. I suspect they have an idea of who they're looking for, and still want to build as strong of a case as possible before making an arrest. If they move too soon they risk losing out on the indisputable evidence needed for a conviction. It really angers me that this senseless violence has now reached the borders of Bradley's campus. I really feel for the family and friends of everyone involved here.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

ATGGuy
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by ATGGuy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:48 am

Police arrested a 16 year old male Wednesday night and charged him with first degree murder. Since he is a juvenile no further information about the suspect was released.

http://www.centralillinoisproud.com/new ... 1117132476

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:02 am

ATGGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:48 am
Police arrested a 16 year old male Wednesday night and charged him with first degree murder. Since he is a juvenile no further information about the suspect was released.

First degree murder means it was willful and premeditated. Wow.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:24 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:02 am
ATGGuy wrote:

I was told that this stemmed from an earlier argument at a liquor story... Crazy and sad. Hopefully they treat the killer as an adult when the case goes to trial.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 am

Braves4Life wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:24 am
BradleyBrave wrote:
ATGGuy wrote:

I was told that this stemmed from an earlier argument at a liquor story... Crazy and sad. Hopefully they treat the killer as an adult when the case goes to trial.
Why do we get to pick and choose when juveniles are adults? It’s a terrible ordeal. If this kid did it then he should be treated and judged fairly and to the full extent of the law as a juvenile. Which he is.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 am
Braves4Life wrote:
BradleyBrave wrote:

Why do we get to pick and choose when juveniles are adults? It’s a terrible ordeal. If this kid did it then he should be treated and judged fairly and to the full extent of the law as a juvenile. Which he is.
Is a 16 year old able to help lead discourse on gun control and safety?

JMM28
All World
All World

Post by JMM28 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 am

Perhaps his parents should also be locked up...

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 am

Murderers, especially ones who kill multiple people, should not be treated any differently, whether 16 or 60
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 am

JD wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 am
Murderers, especially ones who kill multiple people, should not be treated any differently, whether 16 or 60
Why do we make a distinction between juveniles and adults?
~Thomas Jefferson

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 am

squirrel wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 am
Braves4Life wrote:

Is a 16 year old able to help lead discourse on gun control and safety?
Absolutely. But there is nothing in our laws about that. It’s freedom of speech. As you well know.

If we want juveniles treated as adults in our courts then let’s just take away that distinction officially. That’s my point. I don’t like the random picking of choosing. Just because a juvenile does something we hate doesn’t make them automatically older or no longer a juvenile.
~Thomas Jefferson

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:26 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 am
JD wrote:
Who do you mean by we?

Again, for some matters, like driving a car or drinking, I could see reasons to treating younger people differently.

For a 16 year old, there is no doubt that person knew he was pulling a trigger and killing or potentially killing someone.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

BUFanatic
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by BUFanatic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:29 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
JD wrote:
I may be flawed in my assessment (as I did no historical research before making this post) however I believe the distinction is the result of physiological and psychological research coming together starting in around the 1930s. (As I wrote this I did a quick fact check, the first instance of a distinction between a juvenile and an adult was made in 1899 in Cook County where the court ruled that those over age 7 were capable of criminal intent. This judgement was made based on the criminal not the crimes).

If a juvenile is ruled by experts to be either or both mentally ill or capable of fully understanding their actions and the resulting consequences, the courts rule that they are to be tried as adults.

With this specific case, if the crime was a premeditated retaliation for an argument at the liquor store one of two things would happen to determine whether the youth should be tried as a juvenile or as an adult: (It's very simplistic sorry technical lawyers on the board, I'm a hack who is just very much interested in common law)

1. The court finds that the youth has a hot temper, has evidence that the youth and potential accomplices knowingly planned to enter the party and execute the individuals, and show either no remorse (potential mental illness) or show remorse but more in an "I didn't mean to kill the victims I only wanted to scare them" (an adult who made a mistake but understood that death was a potential outcome) as opposed to "I don't know what I did/I can't believe I shot those people/etc." (this case would indicate a rash action of a juvenile who does not comprehend life/death and the consequences of his actions. This can also be blamed on being raised in a particular culture where disputes are resolved by violence instead of compromise/diplomacy).

.... I was going to split that into two points but I think I covered it in one, oops. Additional evidence that would support trying the accused as a juvenile would be a clear lack of understanding of the gravity of the situation, panicked realization of his actions, and professional expert's opinions of his capabilities based on his psychological age.

There.... my hack opinion. I hope it's not all idiotic babble ha.

Edit/Addendum: I realized I didn’t directly answer the question which means I would make a great politician. The distinction is made to protect juveniles who committed a serious crime as they have a better chance at being rehabilitated (rather than incarceration for the protection of society). Juveniles are tried as adults if they are judged to be a danger to society with little chance at rehabilitation. The sentence for an adult is jail time, the sentence for a juvenile is jail time with rehabilitation services.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 pm

JD wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:26 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
JD wrote:
Who do you mean by we?

Again, for some matters, like driving a car or drinking, I could see reasons to treating younger people differently.

For a 16 year old, there is no doubt that person knew he was pulling a trigger and killing or potentially killing someone.
So in every law breaking situation we shouldn't have juvenile courts? All potential suspects should be tried as adults?
~Thomas Jefferson