O/T Bradley student killed

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Re: O/T Bradley student killed

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:42 pm

BUFanatic wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:29 pm
Edit/Addendum: I realized I didn’t directly answer the question which means I would make a great politician. The distinction is made to protect juveniles who committed a serious crime as they have a better chance at being rehabilitated (rather than incarceration for the protection of society). Juveniles are tried as adults if they are judged to be a danger to society with little chance at rehabilitation. The sentence for an adult is jail time, the sentence for a juvenile is jail time with rehabilitation services.
Right. But do we REALLY look at their "chances of rehabilitation" or do we pick and choose when they get to be juveniles or when they are tried as adults?

The idea of "rehabilitation" in the American Criminal Justice system is a humongous joke anyway.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:34 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:42 pm
Right. But do we REALLY look at their "chances of rehabilitation" or do we pick and choose when they get to be juveniles or when they are tried as adults?

The idea of "rehabilitation" in the American Criminal Justice system is a humongous joke anyway.
For some reason I think you already know the answer to your question tribe. :lol: And yes, our criminal justice system has always been a joke, filled with inherent prejudices and favoring the educated and wealthy. How do you rehab someone when you place them in isolation with generally bad, unmotivated criminals? If it's true that you become like the people you associate with then we're going about rehab completely wrong.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:34 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:

For some reason I think you already know the answer to your question tribe. :lol: And yes, our criminal justice system has always been a joke, filled with inherent prejudices and favoring the educated and wealthy. How do you rehab someone when you place them in isolation with generally bad, unmotivated criminals? If it's true that you become like the people you associate with then we're going about rehab completely wrong.
https://www.theonion.com/15-years-in-en ... 1819576202
~Thomas Jefferson

BUFanatic
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by BUFanatic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:21 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BUFanatic wrote:
Edit/Addendum: I realized I didn’t directly answer the question which means I would make a great politician. The distinction is made to protect juveniles who committed a serious crime as they have a better chance at being rehabilitated (rather than incarceration for the protection of society). Juveniles are tried as adults if they are judged to be a danger to society with little chance at rehabilitation. The sentence for an adult is jail time, the sentence for a juvenile is jail time with rehabilitation services.

I can’t speak to that haha, I only know why it is the way it is, and the benefit/flaw of common law is its ability to be adapted so that it is always changing and each case is subject to numerous variables including personal bias towards a crime and criminal. In a perfect world my description is honorably, nobelly, and objectively followed however as with any religion because the system is run by man it is inherently flawed and biased, no matter the noble words that lead the men.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:36 pm

BUFanatic wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:21 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
BUFanatic wrote:

I can’t speak to that haha, I only know why it is the way it is, and the benefit/flaw of common law is its ability to be adapted so that it is always changing and each case is subject to numerous variables including personal bias towards a crime and criminal. In a perfect world my description is honorably, nobelly, and objectively followed however as with any religion because the system is run by man it is inherently flawed and biased, no matter the noble words that lead the men.
If the system were run by a religion and not man it wouldn’t be flawed or biased? Maybe I misunderstood your point.
~Thomas Jefferson

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:35 pm

By the way, it has already been determined this kid is an adult.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 pm
JD wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:26 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 am

Why do we make a distinction between juveniles and adults?
Who do you mean by we?

Again, for some matters, like driving a car or drinking, I could see reasons to treating younger people differently.

For a 16 year old, there is no doubt that person knew he was pulling a trigger and killing or potentially killing someone.
So in every law breaking situation we shouldn't have juvenile courts? All potential suspects should be tried as adults?
Read my post
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

Baseball Junkie

Post by Baseball Junkie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Did 1 bullet kill 2 people?

JMM28
All World
All World

Post by JMM28 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Baseball Junkie wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:38 pm
The only theory that makes any sense is that the guy who got killed shot back at the 16 year old and hit her instead of him, thus only 1 murder charge. Sad story all around.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:51 pm

My understanding on this shooting is the 16 year old chased the other kid into the house and started shooting at him and unfortunately the BU student was shot also, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This happens way too much to innocent people and kids. I hope they throw the book at this thug.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:16 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Baseball Junkie wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:38 pm
The only theory that makes any sense is that the guy who got killed shot back at the 16 year old and hit her instead of him, thus only 1 murder charge. Sad story all around.
Right....just because more than one person was killed doesn't mean only one person did the shooting.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."