ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
Post Reply
User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 28901
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by squirrel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:35 am

"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
tombs14
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster
Posts: 2895
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Peoria County

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by tombs14 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:01 am

When you say "What was free" - is that in regards to the WatchESPN app?

If so, even customers who can authenticate with their cable provider credentials are going to still need to pay going forward?

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 28901
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by squirrel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:19 am

tombs14 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:01 am
When you say "What was free" - is that in regards to the WatchESPN app?

If so, even customers who can authenticate with their cable provider credentials are going to still need to pay going forward?
No, I would think your normal login will get you access that way-however-you may not be able to access content that would be on the U or News, for example, if not included in your normal subscription.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
MissouriValleyUnite
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 11:23 am

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 am

Wasn’t MVC’s espn3 contract thru 2024?

If this takes away Valley hoops...

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 19506
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:27 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 am
Wasn’t MVC’s espn3 contract thru 2024?

If this takes away Valley hoops...
It won't take it away. At worst you would pay $4.99/month.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 28901
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by squirrel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:27 am
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 am
Wasn’t MVC’s espn3 contract thru 2024?

If this takes away Valley hoops...
It won't take it away. At worst you would pay $4.99/month.
Well, for a couple years. I imagine around 2020 it'll get bumped up to $7.99 or $9.99, and then a couple years after that, a couple dollars more.

But more to the question, no, without a cable or satelite scrip, you won't get it free anymore. This was announced late last summer, but the exact details were just announced last week.
Last edited by squirrel on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 19506
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 am

squirrel wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:27 am
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 am
Wasn’t MVC’s espn3 contract thru 2024?

If this takes away Valley hoops...
It won't take it away. At worst you would pay $4.99/month.
Well, for a couple years. I imagine around 2020 it'll get bumped up to $7.99 or $9.99, and then a couple years after that, a couple dollars more.
Which I am fine with. We have been spoiled in the age of free content.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
MissouriValleyUnite
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 11:23 am

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by MissouriValleyUnite » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:07 pm

It wasn’t free. You had to pay for a cable package to access it.

Now it’s an add-on cost.

It’s not the contract the MVC and other leagues signed up for.

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 19506
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by tribecalledquest » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:14 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:07 pm
It wasn’t free. You had to pay for a cable package to access it.

Now it’s an add-on cost.

It’s not the contract the MVC and other leagues signed up for.
Do we know how this affects the MVC or are we just guessing?
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

PH
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster
Posts: 2865
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:58 am

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by PH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:14 pm
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:07 pm
It wasn’t free. You had to pay for a cable package to access it.

Now it’s an add-on cost.

It’s not the contract the MVC and other leagues signed up for.
Do we know how this affects the MVC or are we just guessing?
The press release specifically mentions college Men’s basketball and the MVC being included

I don’t know if that also excludes our current WatchESPN access

User avatar
oftenrunning52
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:52 pm
Location: at a cross country course somewhere

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by oftenrunning52 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:28 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:07 pm
It wasn’t free. You had to pay for a cable package to access it.

Now it’s an add-on cost.

It’s not the contract the MVC and other leagues signed up for.
Thank you for pointing this out! Everyone keeps referring to ESPN as free. Not according to my cable bill every month! The only free sports anymore is large events (championships, playoffs) or some large pro sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR). Everything else has migrated to pay channels, including the NCAA basketball tourney.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions

houstontxbrave
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Posts: 1917
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:03 pm
Location: Houston Texas
Contact:

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by houstontxbrave » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:11 pm

So I have Comcast cable and within that cable bill I pay extra for their sports package that I then can use to access among other things ESPN+.

From this press release it is assumed I will have to continue to pay Comcast the cost of the access to the sports package but also get the chance to pay an additional $4.99 a month to also use ESPN+

I keep Comcast to have the ability to watch Bradley on ESPN+, I never use ESPN+ for anything else. The bill is already bloated and continues to increase. It will be interesting to see if the cable company notifies of this increase or just does it. Seems like a money grab by ESPN and their ESPN+ providers.

Years ago I used to search online for pirated BU games, maybe it is time to just ditch Comcast and go that way or old school and just listen to games.

User avatar
44 Belly
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:23 pm

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by 44 Belly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:26 pm



First game on ESPN+ = Bradley baseball at Evansville 4/13
The rich history of Richwoods Football
27 Conference Championships
30 Playoff Qualifiers
12 Quarterfinal Appearances
7 Semifinal Appearances
Runner-Up: 1987 (5A), 2011 (6A)
State Champions: 1969 (Mythical), 1984 (5A), 1988 (5A)

PH
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster
Posts: 2865
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:58 am

Re: ESPN direct-to-consumer app to launch at $4.99/mo

Post by PH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:53 pm

It sounds like current (included with cable) WatchESPN content will be phased out in favor of the new subscription service, including MVC basketball:

http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2018/04 ... ing-shift/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: real fan, Sam Hannam and 14 guests