Luke

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
bu30
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:41 pm

Luke

Post by bu30 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Went to the BU volleyball game last night and saw Luke in a boot and on crutches.

User avatar
spoon
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Luke

Post by spoon » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:16 pm

bu30 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 pm
Went to the BU volleyball game last night and saw Luke in a boot and on crutches.

User avatar
Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Luke

Post by Lake Camelot » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:21 pm

Can't remember who it was that caused this jinx in another thread. But someone just posted that we have problems this time of year.😁

Not as bad as the Bulls and Markkenan.

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 29604
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: Luke

Post by squirrel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Who is Luke?
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5596
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Luke

Post by JD » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:30 pm

This is not good
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

User avatar
Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Luke

Post by Lake Camelot » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:38 pm

squirrel wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 pm
Who is Luke?
I am your father, light saaber, the force, etc.

User avatar
Majik45
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:00 am

Re: Luke

Post by Majik45 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Lake Camelot wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:21 pm
Can't remember who it was that caused this jinx in another thread. But someone just posted that we have problems this time of year.😁
Guilty one right here

User avatar
shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4077
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: Luke

Post by shaunguth » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:14 pm

JD wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:30 pm
This is not good
When are injuries good?
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5596
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Luke

Post by JD » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:10 pm

shaunguth wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:14 pm
JD wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:30 pm
This is not good
When are injuries good?
Touché
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

User avatar
BradleyMathGrad
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Luke

Post by BradleyMathGrad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:19 am

JD wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:10 pm
shaunguth wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:14 pm
JD wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:30 pm
This is not good
When are injuries good?
Touché
I mean, I never want anyone to get hurt, but it helped the Cardinals when Fowler got hurt this year. I'm not saying this scenario applies to us, just throwing it out there.
Remember that atmosphere when we played against Michigan, having a stretch of play where it actually got loud enough that we forced them to call Timeout.

Let's get back to that.

User avatar
BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 14488
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Emergency Room
Contact:

Re: Luke

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:40 am

A healthy and productive Luuk could be an important component of our success this year. On one hand, this supports my argument for not starting practice so early. On the flip side, the silver lining is that he should be healed before the opener, and we don't need to push him given how much time we have until we're playing meaningful games. The reality is that Luuk doesn't need to be healthy until January.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

User avatar
JD
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5596
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Heartland

Re: Luke

Post by JD » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 am

BradleyMathGrad wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:19 am

I mean, I never want anyone to get hurt, but it helped the Cardinals when Fowler got hurt this year. I'm not saying this scenario applies to us, just throwing it out there.
Drew Bledsoe's injury. Wally Pip.

There are examples.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

User avatar
shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4077
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: Luke

Post by shaunguth » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:10 am

JD wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 am
BradleyMathGrad wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:19 am

I mean, I never want anyone to get hurt, but it helped the Cardinals when Fowler got hurt this year. I'm not saying this scenario applies to us, just throwing it out there.
Drew Bledsoe's injury. Wally Pip.

There are examples.
Of course, in hindsight, there are examples where it may have ultimately helped an organization. However, it doesn't make the injury itself a "good thing".
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5632
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: Luke

Post by real fan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Starting practice early has zero to do with injuries. The more reps our players get in practice should make for a better fundamental team.

User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8200
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: The Gate City
Contact:

Re: Luke

Post by Braves4Life » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:54 pm

It doesn't sound like the injury is serious. I'm guessing Luuk will be just fine when we need him to be fine. If anything, this will allow others to get important early season reps.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

Image

real fan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5632
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Re: Luke

Post by real fan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:52 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:54 pm
It doesn't sound like the injury is serious. I'm guessing Luuk will be just fine when we need him to be fine. If anything, this will allow others to get important early season reps.
Exactly, Luuk already knows the system .

User avatar
shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4077
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: Luke

Post by shaunguth » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:04 pm

real fan wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:52 pm
Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:54 pm
It doesn't sound like the injury is serious. I'm guessing Luuk will be just fine when we need him to be fine. If anything, this will allow others to get important early season reps.
Exactly, Luuk already knows the system .
So these other players wouldn't be getting these reps if Luuk were healthy? :?
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

User avatar
BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 14488
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Emergency Room
Contact:

Re: Luke

Post by BradleyBrave » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:00 am

From Dave's article on spaghetti it looks like Luuk has a fractured fibula. Yikes. They're still saying he's back to practicing in a couple of weeks...to me that sounds very optimistic. As I said before, I think he's got until January to get right, no need to push it.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4862
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Luke

Post by deejay » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:28 am

I sat next to Luuk at the dinner last night. He mentioned “broken femur”. He also said that he is not allowed to shoot around or anything for at least a couple weeks. Also sat and talked with Ari, man is he a big guy. Can’t wait to see him on court. Makes Child’s look like a small forward. My grandson looked like his hair!
go cubs go!

User avatar
SFP
All World
All World
Posts: 3213
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Luke

Post by SFP » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:33 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:00 am
From Dave's article on spaghetti it looks like Luuk has a fractured fibula. Yikes. They're still saying he's back to practicing in a couple of weeks...to me that sounds very optimistic. As I said before, I think he's got until January to get right, no need to push it.
A cracked femur is not as bad as structural damage by a wide margin (I'm assuming the crack is not right next to the hip). The problem is cardio training. I'm sure the staff will have him doing everything he can to maintain a decent starting point once he can resume on court activities.

I also wonder how it happened.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8200
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: The Gate City
Contact:

Re: Luke

Post by Braves4Life » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Luuk is an IS major and obviously doesn't know biology. :lol: He's wearing a walking boot so it can't be a cracked femur... that's the thigh. He has a cracked tibia, a bone in the lower leg. If he had a cracked femur he'd likely be done for the year. As it is the healing time for a broken tibia is generally 3-6 months. Hopefully it's just a stress fracture and will heal quicker.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

Image

User avatar
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 10829
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Re: Luke

Post by dogsrus » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:44 am

Braves4Life wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:35 pm
Luuk is an IS major and obviously doesn't know biology. :lol: He's wearing a walking boot so it can't be a cracked femur... that's the thigh. He has a cracked tibia, a bone in the lower leg. If he had a cracked femur he'd likely be done for the year. As it is the healing time for a broken tibia is generally 3-6 months. Hopefully it's just a stress fracture and will heal quicker.
Tibia would be a bad sign but I thought it was the Fibula....Fib only bears about 15% - 20% of our weight compared to 80% on the tib. The Fib is more for ankle stability......The walking boot is a good sign.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

User avatar
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 10829
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Re: Luke

Post by dogsrus » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:49 am

SFP wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:33 pm
BradleyBrave wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:00 am
From Dave's article on spaghetti it looks like Luuk has a fractured fibula. Yikes. They're still saying he's back to practicing in a couple of weeks...to me that sounds very optimistic. As I said before, I think he's got until January to get right, no need to push it.
A cracked femur is not as bad as structural damage by a wide margin (I'm assuming the crack is not right next to the hip). The problem is cardio training. I'm sure the staff will have him doing everything he can to maintain a decent starting point once he can resume on court activities.

I also wonder how it happened.
Its such a long slender bone it is pretty easy to do....rolling the ankle is one way....repeated stress....direct blow.....the anticipated quick return was a good sign.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

User avatar
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 8200
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: The Gate City
Contact:

Re: Luke

Post by Braves4Life » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:30 am

dogsrus wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:44 am
Braves4Life wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:35 pm
Luuk is an IS major and obviously doesn't know biology. :lol: He's wearing a walking boot so it can't be a cracked femur... that's the thigh. He has a cracked tibia, a bone in the lower leg. If he had a cracked femur he'd likely be done for the year. As it is the healing time for a broken tibia is generally 3-6 months. Hopefully it's just a stress fracture and will heal quicker.
Tibia would be a bad sign but I thought it was the Fibula....Fib only bears about 15% - 20% of our weight compared to 80% on the tib. The Fib is more for ankle stability......The walking boot is a good sign.
I'm sure you're right dogs. I thought I heard someone say tibia earlier, but the fibula would make much more sense since all indications have been that this is not that serious and that he'll be available sooner rather than later. Thanks for the clarification.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

Image

User avatar
BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 14488
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Emergency Room
Contact:

Re: Luke

Post by BradleyBrave » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:58 am

If only there was a doctor on the board who could clear this up for us.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: geopkovacs, pndbaseball12 and 28 guests