Attendance

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
BeBrave
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Attendance

Post by BeBrave » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:34 am

I thought it might be interesting to keep a running thread of home attendance numbers, as well as a comparison to last year. I know there is the argument over paid tickets vs butts in seats. But so far this season these numbers seem fairly accurate to how many people were actually there (according to my eye test). Early results are pretty similar to last year. If they can win 3+ in this next stretch of 5 games there should be a nice crowd for the Dec 1 Saturday nighter vs New Mexico.

2018 - 2019
Game 1 - Wisconsin Parkside - 4,610
Game 2 - SEMO - 5,181
Game 3 - Jacksonville State - 4,706

2017 - 2018
Game 1 - IUPUI - 4,936
Game 2 - Delaware - 4,556
Game 3 - Missouri S&T - 4,655
Game 4 - Georgia Southern - 4,670
Game 5 - Eastern Illinois - 5,275
Game 6 - Little Rock - 4,670
Game 7 - UNI - 5,684
Game 8 - Valpo - 5,294
Game 9 - Southern Illinois - 5,319
Game 10 - Evansville - 6,205
Game 11 - MOST - 5,041
Game 12 - Loyola - 5,753
Game 13 - Drake - 7,793
Game 14 - illinois state - 7,731
Game 15 - Indiana State - 7,827
Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Brian Wardle?

@J_Dub_Sep

CHUCKYT'S
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: Attendance

Post by CHUCKYT'S » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:02 am

I know there was about a 10% increase in season ticket sales for this season so that should give the attendance a little boost this year.

BeBrave

Post by BeBrave » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:29 pm

CHUCKYT'S wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:02 am
I know there was about a 10% increase in season ticket sales for this season so that should give the attendance a little boost this year.
Does anyone know how many total season tickets Bradley sold for this year?

@J_Dub_Sep

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Attendance continues to be down just because the non con. schedule so far is not good. Hoping New Mexico draws at least 8,000 or more.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:20 pm

real fan wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:18 pm
Attendance continues to be down just because the non con. schedule so far is not good. Hoping New Mexico draws at least 8,000 or more.

Win the cancun challenge and tell everyone the Boya’s are back in town and BOOM ....8K easily!!!
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:29 pm

CHUCKYT'S wrote:
In that case, other ticket sales must be down. It doesn't appear, by the numbers listed here, there has been a 10% increase so far.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:32 pm

shaunguth wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:29 pm
CHUCKYT'S wrote:
In that case, other ticket sales must be down. It doesn't appear, by the numbers listed here, there has been a 10% increase so far.
I also heard that season ticket sales were up this summer, sure does not look like it.

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 pm

The game the other night was kind of embarrassing really...
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 pm

The season starts too early anymore. I’m sorry, but events like these Turkey tourneys on Feast Week used to start the season and get you fired up for hoops. Now everyone has been playing for 2+ weeks. Are we really surprised the place isn’t packed for Parkside, SEMO, and Jacksonville St in early November? I’m not.

Attendance will be better than last year. Book it.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:33 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 pm
The season starts too early anymore. I’m sorry, but events like these Turkey tourneys on Feast Week used to start the season and get you fired up for hoops. Now everyone has been playing for 2+ weeks. Are we really surprised the place isn’t packed for Parkside, SEMO, and Jacksonville St in early November? I’m not.

Not surprised by that at all. I am surprised walkup ticket sales are so much lower than last season, assuming season ticket sales are indeed up 10%.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:56 pm

shaunguth wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:33 pm
BradleyBrave wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Not surprised by that at all. I am surprised walkup ticket sales are so much lower than last season, assuming season ticket sales are indeed up 10%.
I agree with BB. I wish they would at least wait until high school football was over to start games. Outside of the blue blood programs attendance is down across the board.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

BUFanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by BUFanatic » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:34 am

For me it sort of depends on what's going on in the world of sports. By this time most years Notre Dame had fouled up and knocked itself out of contention and I had lost all interest in the NFL. This year the Bears actually win games and Notre Dame may end up winning out. The quality of the opponents BU has played so far have just been meh compared with the excitement UND and Da Bears have given me. I usually really get into it during Turkey week (and dangit I wish we could get in a tourney where we played on Thanksgiving!).
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

BigB
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by BigB » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 am

For 60 years fans attended Bradley games because it was a cultural phenomenon in Peoria. Not just entertaining but like a family gathering with all your old friends as well. The fans were treated both on the court & off as if they were the key part of the entire experience. It was part of the Peoria culture, alums and non-alums had a loyalty that even carried Bradley through bad seasons. Nobody ever wanted to give up their Bradley season tickets and families even fought over them when someone passed away. It would have required a nuclear option to destroy that culture and tradition, but then, that is exactly what happened. Between 2009 and 2015, more than half the fan base had gone for good. Good lifelong fans and donors were treated like Stain treated his enemies in the Great Purge. It can still be fun and attendance can rebound, but it will never be like it was.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:45 am

BigB wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 am
For 60 years fans attended Bradley games because it was a cultural phenomenon in Peoria. Not just entertaining but like a family gathering with all your old friends as well. The fans were treated both on the court & off as if they were the key part of the entire experience. It was part of the Peoria culture, alums and non-alums had a loyalty that even carried Bradley through bad seasons. Nobody ever wanted to give up their Bradley season tickets and families even fought over them when someone passed away. It would have required a nuclear option to destroy that culture and tradition, but then, that is exactly what happened. Between 2009 and 2015, more than half the fan base had gone for good. Good lifelong fans and donors were treated like Stain treated his enemies in the Great Purge. It can still be fun and attendance can rebound, but it will never be like it was.
Boy it’s to bad you feel like you’ve been treated poorly. Have you ever brought that to the attention of anyone AT BU?

I never had the pleasure of real old time hoops as i didn’t come to Peoria until they moved to PCC ( 86 ). Since then, for me, it’s been a religion. Missed my first
game in decades weds due to flu.... had it been ISU or New Mexico I woulda made it.

Just so many other entertainment options these days. Back in the 50-60’s the choices were no where near what we have today.

I do agree the University needs to do all it
can to keep the fan base interested. A good team is the first priority but then after that they really need to work on the fan experience. Not saying they don’t but it can always be better.
Last edited by dogsrus on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

1 yard short
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by 1 yard short » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:08 am

Have the games on campus and boom increase in students attending the games.
Give them all a trophy for their effort. :lol:

CHUCKYT'S

Post by CHUCKYT'S » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:47 am

1 yard short wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:08 am
Wish it were that easy....they've tried on campus games over the past years in the RenCo and student attendance was no better. its pretty simple. Students have more entertainment options and BU Basketball is pretty far down that list.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 am

CHUCKYT'S wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:47 am
1 yard short wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:08 am
Wish it were that easy....they've tried on campus games over the past years in the RenCo and student attendance was no better. its pretty simple. Students have more entertainment options and BU Basketball is pretty far down that list.
And as a not to be named BU representative at a not to be named event with a BU presence recently said .... “””#%&? the students... we aren’t begging them to show up.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:36 pm

BigB wrote:
I what way were these super important life long donors treated poorly? Sounds pretty awful. What are some of the examples.

Man. Some people really didn’t like JoAnne Glasser.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

BeBrave

Post by BeBrave » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 pm

The biggest jump in attendance last year came after the 4 game conference win streak. After that streak attendance jumped from 5k vs Loyola to 7.8k/7.7/7.8 over the last 3 home games.

Winning grows crowds. Hopefully this year they start in even better standing attendance wise throughout the noncon and then have similar (hopefully more) success in conference than last year. If they are a top 3/4 team, 9k isn’t out of the question come February.

It’s all about the momentum.

@J_Dub_Sep

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:17 pm

BUFanatic wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:34 am
For me it sort of depends on what's going on in the world of sports. By this time most years Notre Dame had fouled up and knocked itself out of contention and I had lost all interest in the NFL. This year the Bears actually win games and Notre Dame may end up winning out. The quality of the opponents BU has played so far have just been meh compared with the excitement UND and Da Bears have given me. I usually really get into it during Turkey week (and dangit I wish we could get in a tourney where we played on Thanksgiving!).
Last time i checked, football doesn't happen on Wed evenings, local HS football had already *** the bed in the playoffs, and even if you wanted to use ND as a reference, the last weekend game played in the afternoon and they had a night game.

People can use any excuse they want...like the i was treated poorly narrative --- cry me a god **** river!

I think the most obvious is that people are lazy these days and dont want to leave the house or dont have the attention span to follow along with a 2-2.5 hr basketball game.

As Chucky said, they tried the on campus thing. The students supporting athletics is apparently a thing of the past and a sorry embarrassment for "school spirit" and support of your institution, but thats something some of us have discussed...but what really is the point?

Attendance is bad and most of us know its bad and there isnt anything any of us on here can do about it.

Nathan has come in and tried, but there's only so much he can do about it...if people dont want to go, they'll find a laundry list of reasons not to, even if tickets were taxied to them and at cut rate prices.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:44 pm

BigB wrote:
You made some pretty good points BigT until your last few sentences. What happened between 2009-2015 had little to do with Bradley's declining attendance. It was a tsunami of a poor economy, poor play, aging demographics, and alternative entertainment options. We will probably never get back to our past phenomenal attendance numbers even if we start winning again since demographics are only going to get worse.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:26 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:44 pm
BigB wrote:
You made some pretty good points BigT until your last few sentences. What happened between 2009-2015 had little to do with Bradley's declining attendance. It was a tsunami of a poor economy, poor play, aging demographics, and alternative entertainment options. We will probably never get back to our past phenomenal attendance numbers even if we start winning again since demographics are only going to get worse.
Its weird. It's almost like having really bad teams leads to really poor attendance.
~Thomas Jefferson

BigB
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by BigB » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:25 am

dogsrus wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:45 am
Have you ever brought that to the attention of anyone AT BU?
A lot of people did and it worked. That's why they finally woke up and cut loose the cancer that was killing Bradley Athletics.
As for bad basketball killing attendance, of course that had a lot to do with it, but the attendance always snapped back quickly when Bradley started winning again. It hasn't this time and probably we never will see those regular 9,000-10,000 crowds again. The permanent damage to the long time fan base is what we see now. Glasser accomplished what had never otherwise been done in 80 years. Not a national scandal, not the ho-hum teams from the late-Stowell era, not NCAA penalties, not the controversy of the alum-judge walking out on the search committee nor the boring Mo-style, not the community boycott by the McClain-loyalists, not even the horrible teams of the Albeck era. Nothing had ever killed the attendance and interest for more than a couple years. The Kirk Wessler approach is to try to blame everyone else but the one person who truly is responsible, but facts are facts, and even the board that hired her finally saw it. Can you name anywhere else ever that a President, AD and head basketball coach were all fired essentially in one move because of the direction a program was going (other than national scandal)?

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 am

BigB wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:25 am
dogsrus wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:45 am
Have you ever brought that to the attention of anyone AT BU?
A lot of people did and it worked. That's why they finally woke up and cut loose the cancer that was killing Bradley Athletics.
As for bad basketball killing attendance, of course that had a lot to do with it, but the attendance always snapped back quickly when Bradley started winning again. It hasn't this time and probably we never will see those regular 9,000-10,000 crowds again. The permanent damage to the long time fan base is what we see now. Glasser accomplished what had never otherwise been done in 80 years. Not a national scandal, not the ho-hum teams from the late-Stowell era, not NCAA penalties, not the controversy of the alum-judge walking out on the search committee nor the boring Mo-style, not the community boycott by the McClain-loyalists, not even the horrible teams of the Albeck era. Nothing had ever killed the attendance and interest for more than a couple years. The Kirk Wessler approach is to try to blame everyone else but the one person who truly is responsible, but facts are facts, and even the board that hired her finally saw it. Can you name anywhere else ever that a President, AD and head basketball coach were all fired essentially in one move because of the direction a program was going (other than national scandal)?
You are giving Joanne Glasser far, far, far too much credit in all of this. Clearly you hate her. That’s fine. But the President doesn’t play much of a role over attendance at university sporting events. Sorry. They don’t. The #1-10 driver is the product on the court. Of course societal factors are driving in game attendance change but that’s not unique to Bradley. But I can guarantee you the university President and any thing they did/didn’t do isn’t close to mattering. That’s only an argument a small group of self important people make.
~Thomas Jefferson

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:38 am

BigB wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:25 am
You gave yourself away here BigT since you've posted almost the exact same verbiage many times elsewhere. I know you're obviously a fairly intelligent man so I'm surprised that you allow this venom and poison to blind you from ALL the facts. Past Bradley "scandals" were always met by a resounding economy, a growing and prospering Caterpillar and Peoria, a younger demographic with limited entertainment options looking for a place to "be seen"; these former Bradley fans are now either dead, disabled, in a nursing home, or retired in Florida and Arizona. Your diagnosis of Bradley's attendance problems is clearly skewed and blinded by your hatred for the last administration. I'd hate to go to a doctor :dustin with such tunnel vision who refused to look at ALL of the mitigating circumstances before making a diagnosis. This would be a doctor who would be a strong candidate for a malpractice lawsuit.
Last edited by Braves4Life on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"