Fire Wardle

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
future walk-on
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Re: Fire Wardle

Post by future walk-on » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am

Wardle's resume didn't impress me when he was hired...but I am willing to go a calendar year longer before I light the torch and grab a pitchfork.

I have always been a proponent of hiring a top assistant under a proven HC...not a head coach at a low major program who had an extremely brief run that was successful.

Dallas Brave
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Dallas Brave » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:41 am

I watched the game on ESPN3 Sunday. As a glutton for pain, I rewound and watched some sections multiple times. If I am Coach Wardle, the one thing that I would sit players for would be turnovers, because turnovers = carelessness … which means Childs and Brown would be spending a lot more time on the bench. The first 3 minutes and the last 3 minutes of this game were pathetic. These guys are good enough players to win a lot of games. We saw that last year and a little bit this year. But if the players have no understanding of how important each possession is, then they should not be on the floor. In comparison to Bradley’s abysmal 21 turnovers against MSU, Loyola has zero turnovers in the first half against IL St. LU had 7 turnovers in the second half and you could see the major impact it had with far fewer points being scored the second half. The Braves will sink or swim based on Childs and Brown … they need to get their heads screwed on right and start leading by example. I hope the coaching staff has the team watching film of the opening and closing minutes of Saturday’s game. Those combined six minutes showed a team that is sloppy and does not care.

quince

Post by quince » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 am

If you sit everyone on this team for making turnovers, you'll run out of players by the under 12 timeout in the first half. lol

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 am

Dallas Brave wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:41 am
I watched the game on ESPN3 Sunday. As a glutton for pain, I rewound and watched some sections multiple times. If I am Coach Wardle, the one thing that I would sit players for would be turnovers, because turnovers = carelessness … which means Childs and Brown would be spending a lot more time on the bench. The first 3 minutes and the last 3 minutes of this game were pathetic. These guys are good enough players to win a lot of games. We saw that last year and a little bit this year. But if the players have no understanding of how important each possession is, then they should not be on the floor. In comparison to Bradley’s abysmal 21 turnovers against MSU, Loyola has zero turnovers in the first half against IL St. LU had 7 turnovers in the second half and you could see the major impact it had with far fewer points being scored the second half. The Braves will sink or swim based on Childs and Brown … they need to get their heads screwed on right and start leading by example. I hope the coaching staff has the team watching film of the opening and closing minutes of Saturday’s game. Those combined six minutes showed a team that is sloppy and does not care.
I agree! There is though a fine line between playing aggressive and careless. We just are not talented enough to even be close to the careless part of the equation. Teams that have good 3 point shooting can recover from being behind but our guys just do not have the fire power. In short our margin of error is very small.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

Dallas Brave
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Dallas Brave » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:28 am

SFP wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 am
Dallas Brave wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:41 am
I agree! There is though a fine line between playing aggressive and careless. We just are not talented enough to even be close to the careless part of the equation. Teams that have good 3 point shooting can recover from being behind but our guys just do not have the fire power. In short our margin of error is very small.
Agree. You can be agressive and still take care of the ball if you're mentally into the game. I just rewatched (I need to see a Dr. if I keep this up) the first 3 minutes of Saturday's game. I have never seen a Bradley more disinterested at the start of a basketball game than this group. 5 possessions in the first 3 minutes resulting in 3 turnovers (Lundy, Childs, and DLO) and 2 missed shots (one of which was a "what are you thinking" 3 pt attempt by Childs which should be counted as a turnover). Leaders need to lead and this team is sorely missing leadership.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 am

future walk-on wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am
Wardle's resume didn't impress me when he was hired...but I am willing to go a calendar year longer before I light the torch and grab a pitchfork.

I have always been a proponent of hiring a top assistant under a proven HC...not a head coach at a low major program who had an extremely brief run that was successful.
That's pretty much where I am-the glaring weakness on his resume was he never made it to the NCAA. He did leave behind a team though that went the year after he was gone. What that says, I don't really know.

I do think in the context of Wichita's utter dominance of the Valley, it was easier for teams outside the Valley to get players that wanted to play in the NCAA-and it was hard for some Valley schools, and I would put Bradley in this category, to make a case while recruiting that was possible. I believe that is also in part why you're seeing so many smaller college teams with unusual strength this year.

I think there is probably some overlap in the Valley talent floodgates opening a little bit, and Wardle's tenure starting and choosing to go the long road. From a foundational standpoint, I think it was the right approach. For a fan base that just wants to win, it was the wrong one. I don't think either approach is fundamentally wrong, except for time being the judge.

I don't have time to recall the thread, but it was Bradley Brave that pointed out we might actually have a league finish worse than year one. That would really be something...it's a vastly superior team on paper, but at the same time, you still have 2 seniors that were regular starters on that team, playing roles for this year's team. And as others have pointed out-that is a big part of the problem and demonstrates the inability to recruit over them. In fact, I remember discussing Van Bree as a possible 13th man by his senior year. DNPs aside, he's in the 8-9 man rotation.

But it is also in part why one more year, as bitter a pill this year has been to take, is the right approach. Those 2 seniors will be gone. Even though the talent is not where it needs to be overall, next year's seniors are a solid group...do we really want to spoil that opportunity? It is far easier to make a judgment after back-to-back severe disappointments over just the very first one.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:00 pm

There are so many things wrong with this team;
Turnovers
Shooting
Passing
Attitude at times
The biggest thing that is missing is TALENT :roll:

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:01 pm

If we are going to hire a top assistant we should probably be looking into successful tree's right?

Someone above mentioned Izzo and i can't really point to a very successful assistant coming from his tree.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:01 pm
Someone above mentioned Izzo and i can't really point to a very successful assistant coming from his tree.
Tom Izzo -> Tom Crean -> Brian Wardle ;)
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

VromanFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by VromanFan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:43 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:30 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:27 pm
Jerrance Howard and AJ Guyton will never be head coaches at Bradley University. Let’s all go ahead and have our mourning ceremony now and put it to rest forever.
What about Hunter Rhodes with lead assistant Jeremy Crouch?
Add Matt Roth to that staff and I'm all in
Everyone's favorite poster!

"I don't think I've ever understood any of his posts"

the "style that they are written in draws me to read the whole thing and realize that I've wasted my time."

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:12 am

Right, because we all know it will be Sergio. C'mon guys. Get with it. :lol:
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 am

VromanFan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:43 pm
JMM28 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Jerrance Howard and AJ Guyton will never be head coaches at Bradley University. Let’s all go ahead and have our mourning ceremony now and put it to rest forever.
Add Matt Roth to that staff and I'm all in
LOL VromanFan now that was funny! :lol: Now if someone said Larry Brown, I'd be all over that.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

BeBrave
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by BeBrave » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:34 pm

If we don't get Dwanye Wade the top assistant job after he retires this year what are we even doing?
Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Brian Wardle?

@J_Dub_Sep

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 pm

BeBrave wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:34 pm
If we don't get Dwanye Wade the top assistant job after he retires this year what are we even doing?
What he said.

I'd also settle for a sizable donation to the program to help support our recruiting efforts.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:11 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 pm
BeBrave wrote:
What he said.

I'd also settle for a sizable donation to the program to help support our recruiting efforts.
I love it! :td

But we're really effective at getting highlight tape to ESPN. Now the tape might never make it out of the production room. :lol:

With residences in LA, Miami, and Chicago, I don't think he and Union would be interested in spending any time in the PIA.

But if he wants to become a Friend of the Program, I'm on board with that :td

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:58 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
BeBrave wrote:
What he said.

We already spend more than everyone in the Valley. His sizeable donation will help ensure that we really $uck! Hell, it might even help us get to D2 faster.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 am

JMM28 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Majik45
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Majik45 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:27 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Problem is his wife is a huge Nebraska Cornhusker fan, so any donation money is probably going there. Wade and his wife attend at least 1 Husker football game a year.

BeBrave

Post by BeBrave » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 am
JMM28 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Perfect timing. Well done :lol: :lol:
Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Brian Wardle?

@J_Dub_Sep

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:29 pm

I see this thread went to complete *** --- much like our current coaching, without so much as legitimate candidate mentions besides 1 single post.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Rick Pitino is available :joker :joker :joker
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:31 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:07 pm
Isn't he already taking the UCLA job? :D

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:12 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:29 pm
I see this thread went to complete *** --- much like our current coaching, without so much as legitimate candidate mentions besides 1 single post.
It’s too depressing to legitimately discuss that.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

BUFanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by BUFanatic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:03 pm

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:31 pm
TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:07 pm
Isn't he already taking the UCLA job? :D
I thought he went to Greece with Panathanikos?
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

Lake Camelot
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Lake Camelot » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm

How many pages will this thread be tomorrow ?