Dave Snell's game notes.

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Dave Snell's game notes.

Post by JMM28 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:20 am

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:15 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:24 pm

No. You have to be a rationally thinking human to realize Bradley to D2 is ridiculous.
Agreed. I don’t think people realize how big of a drop there is between D2 and even the low levwls of D1. I went to a D2 school that at the time was in arguably the toughest all around athletic conference in D2. Bradley would lap those teams and do it easily, IN EVERY SPORT. Just because the men’s basketball team is struggling doesn’t mean the entire athletic department is going to drop to D2. Women’s basketball: best start in school history. Volleyball: almost made a run to the national tournament. Soccer: struggled lately but the best program on the hilltop in the last decade plus. Baseball: receiving votes in the Collegiate Baseball national preseason poll. Tennis: Valley champs. Men’s golf: Valley champs. You can’t just drop to D2 in one sport it’s an entire athletic department move and everyone but men’s basketball is pulling their weight.

Well stated. These people that say “Bradley should drop to D2” are overly emotional or exceptionally dumb. Or both, I suppose.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:27 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 pm
Sure, Bradley can be D-II.

That's what it'd be called when the P5 (or P6) break away and leave everyone else, and I mean literally everyone else, behind.

Bradley's not leaving the Top 200 schools in the country, though.
The NCAA tour. would never be the same, it would be a huge gamble on their part to split as the revenue could go down. I doubt I would be as interested as without any cinderella stories it would be a very boring tour. with the same old teams playing pretty much every season. Never mess with something that works very well.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:31 am

I just don’t believe the NCAA won’t allow their tourney to be destroyed. Basketball pales in comparison to football, and the P5 have already gone off and essentially done their own thing there. If the NCAA decided 350+ teams were too many for D1, I can’t say that would break my heart too much. About 100 probably don’t belong in D1. But if they ever took that approach, I think Bradley and the MVC would remain safely in D1. Just my gut feeling though...which is wrong a lot.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:40 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:31 am
I just don’t believe the NCAA won’t allow their tourney to be destroyed. Basketball pales in comparison to football, and the P5 have already gone off and essentially done their own thing there. If the NCAA decided 350+ teams were too many for D1, I can’t say that would break my heart too much. About 100 probably don’t belong in D1. But if they ever took that approach, I think Bradley and the MVC would remain safely in D1. Just my gut feeling though...which is wrong a lot.
I do not think the NCAA wants to change anything. The power conferences have been considering breaking away and playing by their own rules so they keep all the money.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:06 pm

real fan wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:40 am
BradleyBrave wrote:
I do not think the NCAA wants to change anything. The power conferences have been considering breaking away and playing by their own rules so they keep all the money.
Basketball and football aren’t apples to apples. Would they include the Big East, who was won multiple national titles in the last 5 years? Would they include the WCC, who has an annual Final Four contender? What about The American, which has also won a national title and usually puts multiple teams in the tournament? The tournament not being ‘the tournament’ anymore wouldn’t be as profitable for the P5 as it is now - less teams, less games, less advertising time to sell. Just my 2 cents.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:39 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:06 pm
real fan wrote:
BradleyBrave wrote:
Basketball and football aren’t apples to apples. Would they include the Big East, who was won multiple national titles in the last 5 years? Would they include the WCC, who has an annual Final Four contender? What about The American, which has also won a national title and usually puts multiple teams in the tournament? The tournament not being ‘the tournament’ anymore wouldn’t be as profitable for the P5 as it is now - less teams, less games, less advertising time to sell. Just my 2 cents.
Eh, I wouldn’t be surprised to see an FBS/FCS type split in college basketball. I think these conferences right now would be considered “FBS”: ACC, SEC, B1G, Big 12, Pac 12, American, Big East. On the “fringe” would be: WCC, Mountain West, A10, The Valley, maybe Horizon? If you take those 11 conferences (not counting Horizon)right now as they sit it’s 133 teams. The “big boys” by themselves have 87. They could definitely make a tournament that would be just as profitable, if not more, with themselves. The other teams would bring in a little, but they would be able to sell more advertising because after the first round nobody wants upsets and you would have more “marquee matchups” in the earlier rounds since you wouldn’t have the stereotypical 16 seeds.

Where Bradley falls on this depends on how many conferences the big boys want to let into the party. My guess is this order for being let in: WCC(strictly for Gonzaga), Mountain West, A10(due to market size), then the Valley last out of those 4 “fringe” leagues.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:19 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:06 pm
real fan wrote:
BradleyBrave wrote:
It wouldn't be as profitable...but what matters is they think it would be more profitable.

Without diving too deep into the numbers, there is some more money in cutting out the bottom 20 or so conferences and distributing it back to the power conferences. But would the tourney have the same value to the networks after doing that?
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/