Cedar Falls

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
BUFanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Cedar Falls

Post by BUFanatic »

shaunguth wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:32 pm
BUFanatic wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:22 pm
JMM28 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:17 pm
BU covered. Free throws are frustrating, but that’s a hard place to win. I’m not happy but I’m not angry. Happy to see Eli back.
I’ll agree there, can’t remember the last time I was screaming/cussing at the TV @ UNI under 5 minutes because we had a chance to win the game. :lol: It’s hard to win away in the Valley and we just got past one of our toughest roadies.
Eleven months ago?
I was reminded of that shortly after I made this post. Tbh because of the mediocre season overall last year I only really remember being there for both ISU games, winning both, and the conference tourney run.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

BUFanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by BUFanatic »

spoon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:01 pm
I hope Brian’s not too hard on the team, because in the road against the alleged top team in the valley, a 5-Point loss is ok. You can always say “Well if we would have just ...” or “If that shot would have fallen...” but guess what... that’s basketball.

I’m looking ahead to Evansville. Let’s get that game. It’s 1000 times more important than this game was. The recipe for success in March? Hold serve at home, beat the bottom 4-5 MVC teams on the road. Win Arch Madness. This is a one-bid league again. Honestly if this team even just stays out of Thursday we’ve got a shot.
Heard about half of Coach on the post game show, I don’t think he will be. Mentioned how great the UNI crowd was and how it was difficult for them to hear most of the night.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 »

I appreciate the optimism guys, but a couple things:

I'm not one who is in to moral victories.

Also, maybe we should actually win a road game first before we proclaim the thought we can win 5.

We haven't won one yet, have lost to multiple bad teams on the road, and have done anything but be consistent in any area on the road besides the losing part.

All of this while our supposed "star" player has shot 19% from the floor in road games --- and no that is not a typo.

I am ready to get one on Wednesday where Valpo won tonight, BUT lets not put the cart before the horse is all I am saying.

Tonight for me is just filled with frustration because I still ultimately feel like we should have had it.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:19 pm

Also, maybe we should actually win a road game first before we proclaim the thought we can win 5.

We haven't won one yet, have lost to multiple bad teams on the road, and have done anything but be consistent in any area on the road besides the losing part.

All of this while our supposed "star" player has shot 19% from the floor in road games --- and no that is not a typo.

I am ready to get one on Wednesday where Valpo won tonight, BUT lets not put the cart before the horse is all I am saying.

Tonight for me is just filled with frustration because I still ultimately feel like we should have had it.

Agree with the last paragraph and thats
what makes it sooooo frustrating. Maybe not SHOULD have had it but definitely COULD have had it...... again that’s what so tough about
road games.... the little things.... take any
one of free throws... illegal
picks.....missed bunnies..... clean up any one of those and we’d walk out with a W.....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

who has the stats .... how many shots did Nate and ville have second half. I saw one....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

I get the reservations about winning on the road, and I'm Mr. "I assume all road games are losses until proven otherwise," but. . .the program has won on every floor in the league over the last 2 seasons, with the lone exception of Valpo and I think we win there this year. The team is better now. There are also probably better teams overall than last year. So I'm not going to pin a number on it, but it's not as though there is a void of empirical data.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

PH
All World
All World

Post by PH »

dogsrus wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:43 pm
who has the stats .... how many shots did Nate and ville have second half. I saw one....
Playing with UNI’s stats (can filter play by play by team and player) https://unipanthers.com/sidearmstats/mb ... ay-by-play
I count Nate making 3 of 6 field goals in the 2nd half. (One made layup, the rest were 3’s)

Ville only subbed in and out in the 2nd half.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth »

SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:19 pm

Same here. We won four Valley road games last season....including UNI and ISUr. Oddly enough, ISUr just did to UNI what UNI did to us...recovered from a double digit deficit to win at home. I'm not comfortable "expecting" a win in Normal....or really anywhere else.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

Until THIS team proves they can win on the road I think we will ALL have some doubts.....last
night was encouraging while also frustrating because , as has been mentioned, it was there for the taking.

We need home DB to show up on the road....free throws have to go down at a better clip.....unforced turnovers have to be limited and in last nights game it was illegal screens!!!!

No moral victory but i’m cautiously encouraged we can get it done.....clean up a few things and go get one at UE!!!!!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Like everyone else thoughts , we need to show up and win on the road. We seem to get beat inside all the time, and our big man is a 4 year starter, along with our point guard. Somewhere, somehow we need to get these guys to play on the road.
go cubs go!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

I think too many times we can nitpick things the role players do. Basketball is still a sport with only five guys on the court at a time. The ability for one player to influence the results is so great. Last night was no different. We can look at every single thing we want but last night really came down to this. UNI's guy played great, Bradey's didn't. AJ Green isn't THAT good. He had a great game. And we hope road game Darrell in 2019-20 will normalize some. We hope anyway.

AJ Green - 38 minutes, 10-21, 7-13, 8-8 for 35 points (no rebounds and one assist)
Darrell Brown - 36 minutes - 3-14, 0-5, 6-10 for 12 points (one rebound and three assists)
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:15 pm
I think too many times we can nitpick things the role players do. Basketball is still a sport with only five guys on the court at a time. The ability for one player to influence the results is so great. Last night was no different. We can look at every single thing we want but last night really came down to this. UNI's guy played great, Bradey's didn't. AJ Green isn't THAT good. He had a great game. And we hope road game Darrell in 2019-20 will normalize some. We hope anyway.

AJ Green - 38 minutes, 10-21, 7-13, 8-8 for 35 points (no rebounds and one assist)
Darrell Brown - 36 minutes - 3-14, 0-5, 6-10 for 12 points (one rebound and three assists)
Agree 100%. Green is normally not that good shooting 3 pointers , until DB starts shooting better on the road we will struggle to win games. Hoping Childs is ok. after that hard fall last night.

CalCriddle
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by CalCriddle »

We were in McLeod Center last night - great atmosphere...UNI folks we spoke to before and after were very impressed with BU...they stated what a few here have said, AJGreen is good but not “last night good”. To them it came to to us not making FTs.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

We needed a 6 point play.......

OrangeandBlack74
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by OrangeandBlack74 »

dogsrus wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:09 pm
We needed a 6 point play.......
Only once in a lifetime...
Once a Brave...Always a Brave

Majik45
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Majik45 »

Difference in the game was free throws. We were 14-25, they were 19-25. We lost by 5. We are shooting 71% as a team on the year so we should have made more.

Let's focus on something positive. How about Nate Kennel continuing to be our most consistent player. 18 points last night, had 9 rebounds for the 3rd game in a row and continues to shoot great from beyond the arc. And the heads up play to get down to the corner and the drain a 3 after AJ Green hit the dagger 3 off the offensive rebound to put them up 6. That play allowed us to have a wide open 3 in the air to tie the game with 10 seconds left.

He has turned into more than just the 6th man of the year this year.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

Majik45 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:25 pm
Difference in the game was free throws. We were 14-25, they were 19-25. We lost by 5. We are shooting 71% as a team on the year so we should have made more.

Let's focus on something positive. How about Nate Kennel continuing to be our most consistent player. 18 points last night, had 9 rebounds for the 3rd game in a row and continues to shoot great from beyond the arc. And the heads up play to get down to the corner and the drain a 3 after AJ Green hit the dagger 3 off the offensive rebound to put them up 6. That play allowed us to have a wide open 3 in the air to tie the game with 10 seconds left.

Nate is our MVP to date.....
Free throws woulda helped.....
Wide open 3 by...... EC..... probably not the best choice and a reason he was open.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave »

dogsrus wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:40 pm
Majik45 wrote:

Wide open 3 by...... EC..... probably not the best choice and a reason he was open.
Agree 100%. Nate’s our MVP by far. What a complete player he has become.

Darrel is shooting historically bad right now on the road. These things have a way of evening out, which bodes well for us in the final 8 roadies.

I don’t get the b*tching about Childs taking that shot. Pretty sure Jacobson knows who the first couple options are gonna be. Childs has made that shot many times and drained a 3 earlier in the game. He got as good of a look as you could hope for, and it looked good when he let it go. Sometimes you just miss.

A couple made layups and a couple FTs and we win. We’ve got several road wins left in us this year, that I’m confident of. First one comes Wednesday.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:00 pm
dogsrus wrote:
Majik45 wrote:

Darrel is shooting historically bad right now on the road. These things have a way of evening out, which bodes well for us in the final 8 roadies.

I don’t get the b*tching about Childs taking that shot. Pretty sure Jacobson knows who the first couple options are gonna be. Childs has made that shot many times and drained a 3 earlier in the game. He got as good of a look as you could hope for, and it looked good when he let it go. Sometimes you just miss.

A couple made layups and a couple FTs and we win. We’ve got several road wins left in us this year, that I’m confident of. First one comes Wednesday.
Childs got a great look and barely missed that shot, UNI was not going to let NK or DB or even VT get off an open shot from 3. We had a lot of opportunities to win this game yet because of our poor free throw shooting another game slipped away.

shaunguth
All Universe
All Universe

Post by shaunguth »

BradleyBrave wrote:
dogsrus wrote:
Majik45 wrote:

I love the whole "if we would have..." scenarios. If the rest of the Panthers hadn't shot 1/13 from three, they would have put us away rather easily. Without looking at their stats to date, I doubt 8% is their normal shooting percentage.

As for Childs...his percentage has also dropped every season so far.

28%...24%...20%

There's a reason a team's worst 3-point shooter is wide open.
"There's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense."

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

All i was saying was EC wasn’t our best option due to his 20% rate..... i do agree he did have a good look and it almost went down.... if only he was tossing grenades....

Let’s go get UE....

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

shaunguth wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:42 pm
BradleyBrave wrote:
dogsrus wrote:

I love the whole "if we would have..." scenarios. If the rest of the Panthers hadn't shot 1/13 from three, they would have put us away rather easily. Without looking at their stats to date, I doubt 8% is their normal shooting percentage.

28%...24%...20%

That’s a good point.... the losing teams fans, when it’s close, many times play that “ if only “ card when in truth BOTH teams can say the same thing.....

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

dogsrus wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:12 pm
shaunguth wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:42 pm
BradleyBrave wrote:

28%...24%...20%

That’s a good point.... the losing teams fans, when it’s close, many times play that “ if only “ card when in truth BOTH teams can say the same thing.....
Exactly.
~Thomas Jefferson

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

I thought the difference was the 3 point shooting of AJ Green, home cooking by the reffs and letting EC sit on the bench way to long at the end of the game. He did not go to the scorer's table until 3 minutes left. Our O could not get off a decent shot. Our biggest issue is we need another player that can hit jumpers. I thought KB had a decent jumper from the FT line? Also, when Nate is hot why do we not set up plays for him? Why not have him go from side to side through screens? I'm also having EC touch the ball in the paint every offensive set. They could not handle him until they doubled him up. We just needed Henry running the baseline for those passes instead of Kingby. I'm betting Wardle will clean some of this up.
~Thomas Jefferson

SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 »

dogsrus wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:04 pm
All i was saying was EC wasn’t our best option due to his 20% rate..... i do agree he did have a good look and it almost went down.... if only he was tossing grenades....

Let’s go get UE....
Revisiting this.

Definitely makes one wonder now knowing Eli was playing with one good hand at that point.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---