Childs Surgery

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Childs Surgery

Post by tribecalledquest »

chitown fanatic wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:04 am
bufan39 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:04 pm
Dallas Brave wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:26 pm
This was a major FU by the coaching staff to bring back Eli so quickly. This early season conference games are not must win games as much as we like to hype them. The MVC is a one bid league. Just win the **** tournament which means let Eli fully heal. The team (it is a team sport) was playing well without Eli. This development is the most disappointing thing I have seen out of Coach Wardle.
I think that’s a really bad take. Eli was cleared but the team doctors. That has nothing to do with Wardle. If your player is cleared you’re going to play them.
I agree. UNI is the team to beat this year. If your best player is cleared, you absolutely play him, especially if you want to try and win the conference. The conference winner still gets an auto NIT bid, not saying thats a goal, but it is a good consolation prize if you fail in st louis. The rest get nothing but EIEIO
I agree. The NIT these days is a great event. Winning the league regular season means something.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

BradleyMathGrad wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:02 am
JeffR16 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:21 am
I think UNI may have had a chance for an at-large bid if they finished the Valley season with one loss and lost in the finals, but that loss needed to be @Loyola, @Bradley, or @Drake. I think the @ISUr loss ended their hopes for an at-large.
So you think if UNI wins out until Sunday and goes 28-3, they won't get in?
Am I the only one who doesn't think UNI is that good? Maybe they win the league but they aren't losing less than 4 MVC games.
~Thomas Jefferson

bufan39
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by bufan39 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:23 am
BradleyMathGrad wrote:
JeffR16 wrote:
I think UNI may have had a chance for an at-large bid if they finished the Valley season with one loss and lost in the finals, but that loss needed to be @Loyola, @Bradley, or @Drake. I think the @ISUr loss ended their hopes for an at-large.
Am I the only one who doesn't think UNI is that good? Maybe they win the league but they aren't losing less than 4 MVC games.
I agree. If it wasn't for a heroic performance from AJ Green on Saturday, UNI would have started 0-2. They are good, don't get me wrong. But They aren't in the same class as a Wichita St. or Creighton or even a 2017-2018 Loyola.
~Compete. Defend. Rebound.~

NCAA Tournament Appearances - 2019, 2006, 1996, 1988, 1986, 1980, 1955, 1954, 1950
MVC Tournament Champions - 2019, 1988, 1980
MVC Regular Season Champions - 1996, 1988, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1962, 1950

theheemymonster

Post by theheemymonster »

tribecalledquest wrote:
BradleyMathGrad wrote:
JeffR16 wrote:
Agreed... 12 or 13 wins could win the valley

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

I have said all along, defend home court, steal a couple on the road and we will still be good going into St. Louis. Child’s will be back by then. We don’t have to win conference, which without EJ is more unlikely now.
go cubs go!

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave »

ICEMANBU wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:37 am
JD wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:57 pm
Well we needed to win St. Louis anyway.

IF he can be back then, who knows.
Not to veer too OT, but provided UNI does what they're projected to do at this point: win the league, would they even have enough if they didn't win in STL?
I think they can overcome one slip up at ISU if they only lose 3-4 more and none are to the dregs of the league. If UNI is sitting there on Selection Sunday at 28-6 and their losses are 1 pt to a ranked West Virginia team, 4 league losses, and a title game loss to Bradley, with the regular season title and strong non-con wins, I think they're in.

If UNI loses 6-7 league games, then I think their ceiling is the NIT.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

JeffR16

Post by JeffR16 »

BradleyMathGrad wrote:
JeffR16 wrote:
I think after watching the NCAA committee handle UNC Greensboro and Furman last year, UNI would be on the wrong side of the bubble at 28-3. It also would be similar to the St. Mary's snub in 2018.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

There is not one team in the league that I think will get an at large bid because no team is really great in the Valley.
I just hope we can continue to bring in great talent and become that one team that can dominate this league. I think we are getting close to being there yet we need to find another top notch recruit this spring.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave »

A 3 loss UNI team would probably be a 11 or 12 seed, maybe even lower. Their numbers would be through the roof in every meaningful category.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

BradleyMathGrad

Post by BradleyMathGrad »

tribecalledquest wrote:
BradleyMathGrad wrote:
JeffR16 wrote:
I'm not saying I think they'll go 28-3. I don't think that they are that good and I don't think they will do that. I am saying that "if" I am wrong and "if" they do that, I think they would absolutely get in. By definition then, their at large chances would still be alive. I think UNI could finish 15-3 and lose on sunday and still have a chance of getting in.

I don't think they will go 15-3, but "if" they did, I think their resume would give them a shot.
Remember that atmosphere when we played against Michigan, having a stretch of play where it actually got loud enough that we forced them to call Timeout.

Let's get back to that.

VromanFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by VromanFan »

JMM28 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:16 am
Dallas Brave wrote:
This was a major FU by the coaching staff to bring back Eli so quickly. This early season conference games are not must win games as much as we like to hype them. The MVC is a one bid league. Just win the **** tournament which means let Eli fully heal. The team (it is a team sport) was playing well without Eli. This development is the most disappointing thing I have seen out of Coach Wardle.
This isn’t West Canaan. Bud Wardle isn’t sticking the needle into Wendell Childs hand to get him ready for the second half. Darrell Moxon isn’t storming out of the locker room with Nate Tweeder and Billy Bob Bar.

Wardle has zero control over the healthcare of his players. An OSF doctor isn’t going to be pressured to give the all clear by anyone at BU. The training/performance staff at BU isn’t able to clear anyone to play without the doctor saying it’s ok. It was a freak thing that could have happened @UNI, @UE, or v SIU.
(in a terrible approximation of a southern accent)

"I DON'T WANT YOUR LIFE!!"

That's all I have to contribute to this topic.
Everyone's favorite poster!

"I don't think I've ever understood any of his posts"

the "style that they are written in draws me to read the whole thing and realize that I've wasted my time."

Dallas Brave
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Dallas Brave »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:21 am
chitown fanatic wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:04 am
bufan39 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:04 pm

I think that’s a really bad take. Eli was cleared but the team doctors. That has nothing to do with Wardle. If your player is cleared you’re going to play them.
I agree. UNI is the team to beat this year. If your best player is cleared, you absolutely play him, especially if you want to try and win the conference. The conference winner still gets an auto NIT bid, not saying thats a goal, but it is a good consolation prize if you fail in st louis. The rest get nothing but EIEIO
I agree. The NIT these days is a great event. Winning the league regular season means something.
OK, OK, OK … but, Coach Wardle gets paid several hundred thousand dollars a year to decide who plays. Not the doctor, not the players. IMO, even though Eli was medically cleared, it was premature to play him. Call it hindsight if you want but I was thinking that before the game that I wouldn't play Eli if I was in Wardle's position. To me, an early season road game at UNI is not worth having the added insurance of giving his finger some more time to heal. Especially with how well the team played against Toledo. He reinjured his finger so someone screwed up and it's not Eli. If it is the Doctor's fault, then maybe Eli should have not been cleared or the doctor prescribed the wrong treatment on the original injury.
:hammer bash me … I'm getting use to it. :D

Dallas Brave
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Dallas Brave »

BradleyBrave wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:21 pm
I remember the play - rebound on a free throw. Fell to the floor, was fouled. Stayed on the ground for a bit. Was shaking his hand. Missed both FTs. Played the rest of the game.

SMH.
The doctor said it was OK to keep him in the game :D

Bigslim
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Bigslim »

If he’s medically cleared and he wants to play, you play him. I can’t imagine the reaction on this board if UNI had beaten us by 25 with a medically cleared Eli on the bench.

BeBrave
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by BeBrave »

VromanFan wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:18 pm
JMM28 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:16 am
Dallas Brave wrote:
This isn’t West Canaan. Bud Wardle isn’t sticking the needle into Wendell Childs hand to get him ready for the second half. Darrell Moxon isn’t storming out of the locker room with Nate Tweeder and Billy Bob Bar.

Wardle has zero control over the healthcare of his players. An OSF doctor isn’t going to be pressured to give the all clear by anyone at BU. The training/performance staff at BU isn’t able to clear anyone to play without the doctor saying it’s ok. It was a freak thing that could have happened @UNI, @UE, or v SIU.
(in a terrible approximation of a southern accent)

"I DON'T WANT YOUR LIFE!!"

That's all I have to contribute to this topic.
“You’re fat, you’re slow, now all of a sudden you’re lazy.” -Coach Bud Wardle
Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Brian Wardle?

@J_Dub_Sep

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

Bigslim wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:45 am
If he’s medically cleared and he wants to play, you play him. I can’t imagine the reaction on this board if UNI had beaten us by 25 with a medically cleared Eli on the bench.
This is a good post.

ER3
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by ER3 »

Bigslim wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:45 am
If we would have lost by 25 with a medically cleared Eli sitting on the bench, my reaction probably would have been, "no biggie, we clearly were gonna lose that one with or without Eli"...however, if we would have lost by 4 or 5 with a medically cleared Eli sitting, then I think there would have been a collective meltdown on the board...

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

If he was medically cleared and he didn’t play i don’t think it would have been announced ( that he was cleared )..... Dallas Brave has a point but i disagree that BW messed up.... with the caveat that we know nothing about his injury .....bones take 6 weeks to heal. He was cleared to play at 3 weeks.... i think it’s a reasonable conclusion that he wasn’t 100%..... there was most likely a risk/reward type decision made.....i’m sure the choice to play EC was a group decision but, in the end, BW has final say following medical clearance...... .... you can have medical clearance before your 100%.

I’m not being critical of BW.... doctors..... anyone. Again I don’t have any facts.....

It probably took exactly what happened to lead EC to surgery.... a hard fall. He was most
likely ok for “ normal “ basketball contact. Also they coulda have waited 6 weeks and the same thing could have happened.....

Usually a bone is stronger after healing at the break point so maybe not.....we will never know.

Again.... not being critical..... just pointing out that there was most likely some risk with the decision to play him beyond the normal risks a fully healthy player faces. Heal quickly EC!!!!!
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

There is a risk of injury doing just about everything, what s-cked about him injuring the hand again was the unpredictable fall he took in the game . When he fell face first I was afraid at the time that this could happen because the only thing that kept him from hitting his face or head on the floor was his hands, it was a very unconventional fall. Hoping for some better luck moving forward.
A WIN TONIGHT WOULD BE A START.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP »

Stuff happens! No really.

OK guys how did the surgery go. That is what I want to know. The good news it is his non-shooting hand.
~Thomas Jefferson

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

real fan wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:41 pm
There is a risk of injury doing just about everything, what s-cked about him injuring the hand again was the unpredictable fall he took in the game . When he fell face first I was afraid at the time that this could happen because the only thing that kept him from hitting his face or head on the floor was his hands, it was a very unconventional fall. Hoping for some better luck moving forward.
A WIN TONIGHT WOULD BE A START.
Williams not playing tonight hopefully turned our luck around for the good.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Braves are 3-1 without Elijah.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

squirrel wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:54 pm
Wonder how long it will take for tribe to chime in and gloat?

"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Braves4Life wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:59 pm
squirrel wrote:
Wonder how long it will take for tribe to chime in and gloat?

I was in this camp, too. . . 8 )
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BeBrave

Post by BeBrave »

squirrel wrote:
Ewing Theory watch?

Reference: https://proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=1193711
Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Brian Wardle?

@J_Dub_Sep