The Good the bad and the ugly

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

The Good the bad and the ugly

Post by dogsrus »

bad news is we could be 2-0
good news is we aren’t 0-2
reality is we are 1-1

what do you like
what don’t you like
early season thoughts.....???
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Re: The Good the bad and the igly

Post by SFP »

I like our defense and have faith that BW will have this team playing their best ball come March. He has a track record doing just that.

I'm most worried about our 3 point shooting outside of Ville. We need spacing if we're going to score points.
As Desmond Tutu said: “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SaintLouBrave22 »

SFP wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:06 pm I like our defense and have faith that BW will have this team playing their best ball come March. He has a track record doing just that.

I'm most worried about our 3 point shooting outside of Ville. We need spacing if we're going to score points.
I'm already fully believing we absolutely can not play with East and Kingsby on the floor at the same time...

Too much wanting to be "the general" out there ---- Wardle needs to make a choice and say, you're THE guy.

I think once that happens, the offense should open up a bit more, but you're right, the spacing is terrible for the most part, and its clear why Ville is the shooter he is --- simply because he is one of the very few that is actually good at moving around and to open spots without the ball while others stand and spectate.

The broadcasters aren't concerned about McAdoo just yet, but I kind of am. He doesn't look as though he has much toughness to him and he isn't vocal enough or strong enough to go get shots that are solid percentage looks.

I'm definitely going to need to see a lot more to be convinced once the lights go on.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

SFP wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:06 pm I like our defense and have faith that BW will have this team playing their best ball come March. He has a track record doing just that.

Yes.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

SaintLouBrave22 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:15 pm

I'm already fully believing we absolutely can not play with East and Kingsby on the floor at the same time...

Too much wanting to be "the general" out there ---- Wardle needs to make a choice and say, you're THE guy.

I think once that happens, the offense should open up a bit more, but you're right, the spacing is terrible for the most part, and its clear why Ville is the shooter he is --- simply because he is one of the very few that is actually good at moving around and to open spots without the ball while others stand and spectate.

The broadcasters aren't concerned about McAdoo just yet, but I kind of am. He doesn't look as though he has much toughness to him and he isn't vocal enough or strong enough to go get shots that are solid percentage looks.

I'm definitely going to need to see a lot more to be convinced once the lights go on.
No offense to Kevin McAdoo but if anyone had him at being more than a 12-15 minute a game rotation piece they were fooling themselves.
~Thomas Jefferson
ER3
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by ER3 »

tribecalledquest wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:17 pm

No offense to Kevin McAdoo but if anyone had him at being more than a 12-15 minute a game rotation piece they were fooling themselves.
McAdoo is “just a guy”...I’m sure he’ll have a few games where he hits a few shots and helps us at that end, but he looks like he’s a pretty big liability on the defensive end...so it’s hard to see him being much more than the 5th guard in the rotation...nothing wrong with that, though, he will have some moments in that role, hopefully.
braves1996
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by braves1996 »

East and Nolan are not Darrel, and that’s the problem so far.

Once somebody can knock down the 29 footer when the offense goes stagnant, this team will be good. The defense is excellent.

Ari needs to keep improving.

We are a team that’s going to go 7-2 and 12-6 right now. Good but not quite great. Yet
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

ER3 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:42 pm
McAdoo is “just a guy”...I’m sure he’ll have a few games where he hits a few shots and helps us at that end, but he looks like he’s a pretty big liability on the defensive end...so it’s hard to see him being much more than the 5th guard in the rotation...nothing wrong with that, though, he will have some moments in that role, hopefully.
So my problem there is, we have this depth at the Guard spot, but we had 32 minutes today and 33 minutes yesterday split between 2 players who are a collective 2 of 14 from the field that are "just guys" then.

At some point, thats where I would point to Thomas (or even Kent) getting some minutes.

Hell, as much trouble as Thomas has shooting the ball, even he can figure out how to actually get it in the hoop every once in awhile.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

ER3 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:42 pm
tribecalledquest wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:17 pm

He wasn't a standout player at Eastern Michigan and he transferred to a better league and better program. Again - he's not a bad player. But he's a role guy. Every team needs them.
~Thomas Jefferson
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

Good points so far.... going to be fun to follow Xavier and see how good they are.... or are not.

They were favored..... we had a chance. On the line to win or tie...... just didn’t happen.

Like others said.... like our D it it will most likely
only get better.

Our offense is going to be a work in progress..... until we can figure it out we absolutely have to rebound better and value the ball.

Think it’s too early to start nit picking on players especially the new guys..... Wardle has some work to do and figure out just what he has and how to use each player most effectively..... i’m confident he will.

Really feel bad for Nolan..... you could just see the pain in his eyes after he missed that free throw.....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

The good: Wardle teams respond
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
Bradleyfan2005
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by Bradleyfan2005 »

Start Ville. Have Danya lead the 2nd unit. Sean and Danya are not a good match together.
One thing that most people aren't even recognizing is how Darius Hannah played. He played fairly well. He made a really good pass to Ari for a layup and was all around very solid. If Reink continues to be a no show for us, one should really consider Darius at this point.
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

Bradleyfan2005 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:12 pm Start Ville. Have Danya lead the 2nd unit. Sean and Danya are not a good match together.
One thing that most people aren't even recognizing is how Darius Hannah played. He played fairly well. He made a really good pass to Ari for a layup and was all around very solid. If Reink continues to be a no show for us, one should really consider Darius at this point.
A friend of mine mentioned Hannah also and thought he looked fairly good for his first game..... i honestly didn’t watch him much.... hopefully he’ll get some more playing time friday.......
real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

Offensively we need to penetrate into the lane which will open up our 3 point shooters in order for them to get open shots because most of our 3 point shots are contested. I think McAdoo will shoot the ball better from the outside if he can get more open looks. I would split his minutes with Kingsby and possibly give Thomas a few of them and see what shakes out in the next several games. We need to remember how bad of a start Ville had last season shooting the 3 and how great he was after he began to make those shots. To me it is a mental thing and confidence one. I expect to see more players getting opportunities in the next few games.
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

dogsrus wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:28 pm
Bradleyfan2005 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:12 pm Start Ville. Have Danya lead the 2nd unit. Sean and Danya are not a good match together.
A friend of mine mentioned Hannah also and thought he looked fairly good for his first game..... i honestly didn’t watch him much.... hopefully he’ll get some more playing time friday.......
I've liked what I've seen from Hannah, even though he had some freshman mistakes. I like that he's athletic and shows no fear. He has the potential to be a very good player before he's done.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Braves4Life wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:11 pm
I've liked what I've seen from Hannah, even though he had some freshman mistakes. I like that he's athletic and shows no fear. He has the potential to be a very good player before he's done.
Hannah is definitely my guy from the entry group.

I'll stake my rep to that as much as I did when Childs was a HS Senior and en route to Bradley
real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

I expect Hannah and Kent to become very good players over time as they both appear to have very good skills.
ICEMANBU
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by ICEMANBU »

The good thing is that our guards seem to be pretty interchangeable...

The bad thing is that our guards seem to be pretty interchangeable...
A real fan celebrates the successes, but acknowledges the failures of his team.

I am a Bradley Fan, not a Bradley Fascist.

Twitter: @DRustyCabbage
Butler Blue
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

real fan wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:19 pm I expect Hannah and Kent to become very good players over time as they both appear to have very good skills.
I agree. Love the length they will bring to the wing position.
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

ICEMANBU wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:44 am The good thing is that our guards seem to be pretty interchangeable...

The bad thing is that our guards seem to be pretty interchangeable...
Post of the year thus far.

I will amend that the one who isn’t interchangeable- IMO - is Ville. He has a skill none of the others have.
~Thomas Jefferson
real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

SaintLouBrave22 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:47 pm

I'll stake my rep to that as much as I did when Childs was a HS Senior and en route to Bradley
I will second the opinion on Hannah, also believe Kent is going to become a very good player.
Butler Blue
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Butler Blue »

real fan wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:14 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:47 pm

I will second the opinion on Hannah, also believe Kent is going to become a very good player.
Hannah might have been a steal because he was injured.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Some others. . .

Good
East averaging 5 assists
Childs is now a career top 10 rebounder (690) chasing Donte (718) and top 4 (solo) shot blocker (134) chasing POB (147)
Nolan and Ville shooting .429 (both 6-14) from 3

Igly
16-29 FTs :gagr
"You're only as good as your last game in this business; always know that. You're never as good as you think, you're never as bad as you think." - Brian Wardle
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

squirrel wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:32 pm Some others. . .

Good
East averaging 5 assists
Childs is now a career top 10 rebounder (690) chasing Donte (718) and top 4 (solo) shot blocker (134) chasing POB (147)

Igly
The turnovers are a huge ugly as well.
~Thomas Jefferson
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

squirrel wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:32 pm Some others. . .

Good
East averaging 5 assists

Igly
55%..... we shoot that Thursday and we win
the game. :shock: :?