BU @ SIU

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Re: BU @ SIU

Post by tribecalledquest » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:41 pm

DB and Eli played well together for the first time in a long time. That had a lot to do in getting the win.

Childs only took one three pointer. Much better all around for everyone.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:52 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:41 pm
DB and Eli played well together for the first time in a long time. That had a lot to do in getting the win.

They deserve credit...but I’d like to hear Barry explain why he didn’t run a double at Eli immediately every time he touched the ball. As has been said by many all season, Eli on the block in a 1 on 1 matchup is usually good for us. When they run the double at him he usually makes a bad decision. SIU sure let him operate pretty free and easy today...and we took advantage.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:10 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:52 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:41 pm

They deserve credit...but I’d like to hear Barry explain why he didn’t run a double at Eli immediately every time he touched the ball. As has been said by many all season, Eli on the block in a 1 on 1 matchup is usually good for us. When they run the double at him he usually makes a bad decision. SIU sure let him operate pretty free and easy today...and we took advantage.
Harder to double him when he is operating in the lane by himself, the other 4 were outside . LVB , DB, NK, EC, and LL are right now the 5 players that are contributing the most. Bar misses too many layups plus clogs the lane up too much which hurts us more on offense .

Dallas Brave
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Dallas Brave » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:10 pm

Interesting minute distribution by Coach Wardle. For today anyway, it seemed like the right team dynamic for who started and who came off the bench. There were some cringe-worthy mistakes by some of the guys, but a great team win on the road.

ER3
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by ER3 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Great to see DB and Eli make some huge plays down the stretch...and Nate made a couple huge 3s...we are gonna need that to continue if we want to get on any sort of run in the league.

Majik45
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Majik45 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Amazing what can happen when DB goes 4 of 6 from 3 and Nate goes 3 of 6 from 3.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:51 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:31 pm
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:39 pm
Starters:

DB
LL
NK
LVB
EC
Rotation:
DLO
AB
KB
deep rotation if needed you get to Henry/Hodgson
100% agree. I can do without Brummett, but I suppose if you want to buy a minute or 2 he is active defensively.I’d prefer to not see Hodgson or Pittman on the floor again this season .

This place is so funny. It’s lit up like a Christmas tree during games and especially after losses, but after a road win?

*crickets*
This was my exact rationale for putting Brummett in the rotation. I can live with the turnovers because he has a pretty good chance of creating one at the other end, and he’s a freshman. He just can’t be on the floor at the same time as Lundy and Bar. He needs to be on the floor with someone who can score since he really can’t.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:23 pm

Nice to win a game especially on the road. Lets not get carried away as we only scored 57 points which will get you beat most nights.Our offense needs to improve going forward if we expect to win more games. I like it when we put Eli alone inside with 4 outside players that can shoot the 3. Brown, Nate and Luuk are capable of doing just that so we need Lundy to be our play maker. Koch is a great guy but he just slows everything down on offense and also struggles to defend. I still say Henry would be a better choice to score and defend down low.

ollienanyes

Post by ollienanyes » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:30 am

BradleyBrave wrote:
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:39 pm

This place is so funny. It’s lit up like a Christmas tree during games and especially after losses, but after a road win?

*crickets*
To be honest, I caught only the last 7-8 minutes on TV because I was watching the women's team beat SIU at home in OT. I loved what I saw though..evidently I saw the best part of the game.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:41 am

BradleyBrave wrote:

*crickets*
It’s really funny. Some obvious offenders too. Meatballs.

jim beam
All World
All World

Post by jim beam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:31 am

Meatballs? Obvious offenders? What offense is being committed?

Are you guys really calling out anonymous posters on a message board because some folks haven't been as quick to praise a win as they have to complain after a loss?
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:37 am

jim beam wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:31 am
Meatballs? Obvious offenders? What offense is being committed?

Are you guys really calling out anonymous posters on a message board because some folks haven't been as quick to praise a win as they have to complain after a loss?
I’m poking fun at mostly myself and anyone else who feels like what I said pertains to them.

#Triggered
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

jim beam
All World
All World

Post by jim beam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:01 am

#Triggered...I only know that to be a hashtag from my kids in their 20s and 30s. otherwise I do not understand the whole # language..But no, it didn't trigger anything for me other than I think its dumb when posters call out other posters for this kind of thing.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 am

jim beam wrote:

Yes I am. You are 100% correct that is what I am doing. Make no mistake about it, I want there to be no confusion. I am absolutely calling out anonymous posters on a message boards.

Go sit on your pitchforks.

jim beam
All World
All World

Post by jim beam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:47 am

JMM28 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 am
jim beam wrote:

Yes I am. You are 100% correct that is what I am doing. Make no mistake about it, I want there to be no confusion. I am absolutely calling out anonymous posters on a message boards.

So now that youve made that clear and you are so adamant that there be no confusion, what is the point of it. Why are you calling out? What offense has been committed and why are the offenders meatheads.

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:01 am

There are a few obvious trolls that pop up and taunt or complain when things are going really bad, often they are new posters or have less than 10 total posts. Those are the "meatballs" I think they're calling out... Still waiting for them to rear their ugly head after a big win though. :roll:
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

theheemymonster

Post by theheemymonster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:13 am

JMM28 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 am
jim beam wrote:

:td :td :td

jim beam
All World
All World

Post by jim beam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:21 am

Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:01 am
There are a few obvious trolls that pop up and taunt or complain when things are going really bad, often they are new posters or have less than 10 total posts. Those are the "meatballs" I think they're calling out... Still waiting for them to rear their ugly head after a big win though. :roll:
Ive never noticed that.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am

I did manage to watch the game between the Saints - Rams game (I'll never complain about reffs again). EC played with purpose yesterday and the team played lose. Imagine them on the road winning in that fashion. We have to give Wardle credit because he did look as if he was playing his best guys and letting them play.

On another note KB did not bring anything to that game, at least the times I was watching. Hoping we keep playing small and adding in KB and Boya to give guys some rest and that is it.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

GreyStreetDawg

Post by GreyStreetDawg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 am

Hopefully one of the greatest frauds of my lifetime in the MVC is first to go. Berruh is a complete travesty and joke. He's an intelligence test on ones understanding of what a good head coach is. I despised the hire when it was made and every day since, in regards to the once important Saluki basketball program.

Wardle is prickly and not perfect, but he's not even the same stratosphere of travesty that Berruh is.

MERCY
I have it on possibly credible authority

ER3
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by ER3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:54 am

I’m happy for the win...I hope we go on a 15 game winning streak...but the reality of this game is that is was still a disgusting offensive effort...we shot 35% from the field as a team. That type of ineptitude offensively is gonna get you beat 80% of the time.

Thankfully, we had DB, Eli, and Nate step up and make some plays in the second half when we needed it. Hopefully this frees some guys up mentally and allows for a better offensive performance going forward.

RobertsonFieldHouse7

Post by RobertsonFieldHouse7 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:55 am

Late to the party, but good win.

Was only able to "watch" the espn gamecast updates and Reynolds' Twitter ... looks like they did indeed find a way to man up and grit their way to a win ... the gamecast line still shows an awful lot of "missed layup" and "missed 3pt jumper" entries, but, hey, it's a start.

And, for all the griping I've done about the lack of effective coaching response to this 2-month long slide, it looks like, finally, there was a coaching response ... but did anybody else choke on BW's quote in the PJStar game story, to the effect of: "we've been working on these changes for a few weeks ..."

Why in the world he kept his changes under wraps for so long is a great mystery -- sure would have been nice to see him trot them out in early December ...

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:14 pm

RobertsonFieldHouse7 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:55 am
... but did anybody else choke on BW's quote in the PJStar game story, to the effect of: "we've been working on these changes for a few weeks ..."

Why in the world he kept his changes under wraps for so long is a great mystery -- sure would have been nice to see him trot them out in early December ...
Because that would have been admitting that he's reading/hearing/reacting to what the fans have been saying lately. He's obviously too proud to accept that maybe he's been too inflexible and unwilling to change.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:14 pm
... but did anybody else choke on BW's quote in the PJStar game story, to the effect of: "we've been working on these changes for a few weeks ..."

Because that would have been admitting that he's reading/hearing/reacting to what the fans have been saying lately. He's obviously too proud to accept that maybe he's been too inflexible and unwilling to change.
ding ding ding ding You win a chicken dinner! :P He did look different on the bench and the players looked like they were in the game and having fun. There's a fine line between taking this serious and understanding this is just a game. For a few this may be a vocation to make some good money but for the rest they need to sit back and totally enjoy this experience and make the most out of it.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:55 pm

Yes. We had a trip to Europe and an entire non-conference schedule to figure this out. The staff sees our players in practice every day. How were we so poor at our own self-scouting? Lundy and Van Bree didn't just wake up one day and become better options than what we had been running out there. I guess you can say 'better late than never', but quite frankly it might have happened too late.