BracketBusters Update

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
Bobby Parker
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

BracketBusters Update

Post by Bobby Parker »

I suspect this might spark a little debate:

http://www.bradleybraves.com/ViewArticl ... =205303782
Bradley Associate AD for Communications
Twitter: @BPtheBrave
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Re: BracketBusters Update

Post by squirrel »

Thanks for the info Bobby!

Mo returneth?
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
braves12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by braves12 »

NCAA berths from teams that played in the Bracket Buster games -
2006 = 19
2007 = 17
2008 = 15
2009 = 13
2010 = 12
2011 = 13

Is this a telling trend, or am I missing something?
Liars need to have good memories. "I was talking to Al B. at the airport".
PH
All Universe
All Universe

Post by PH »

braves12 wrote:NCAA berths from teams that played in the Bracket Buster games -
2006 = 19
2007 = 17
2008 = 15
2009 = 13
2010 = 12
2011 = 13

How many teams stopped participating? Does that include Gonzaga and Butler? (I don't think either was a BB team last year)
ICEMANBU
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by ICEMANBU »

Look at Bobby spilling the gas and waiting for the inevitable spark!!!!

I'll be happy to provide it!!!

The BB is definitely a devil's bargain. Ooooohhhh, there's a chance we get to be on ESPN! :td Buuuuut, there's a much, much, much, bigger chance we won't and we'll be stuck with a middling matchup (granted, that means we're middling, too :evil: ) Whole lotta risk, and not a whole heckuva lot of opportunity for a reward. Even with the premium matchups, the little guys beat up on each other and the big guys come out unscathed......bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

The BB may have had some usefulness early on, but it's become so bloated that there's more disadvantage than advantage. Go back to targeted matchups only and allow the rest of the teams to try and figure it out on their own as opposed to forced crummy matchups that can saddle a team for an additional season, as well.

Basically, I think it's outlived its usefulness or gotten out of control (part of the "everybody gets a trophy" malaise) as not to "offend" the schools that, plainly, ain't good enough to deserve a premium matchup/matchup to benefit their RPI.

Time to cut bait.......
A real fan celebrates the successes, but acknowledges the failures of his team.

I am a Bradley Fan, not a Bradley Fascist.

Twitter: @DRustyCabbage
braves12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by braves12 »

ICEMANBU wrote:Look at Bobby spilling the gas and waiting for the inevitable spark!!!!

I'll be happy to provide it!!!

The BB is definitely a devil's bargain. Ooooohhhh, there's a chance we get to be on ESPN! :td Buuuuut, there's a much, much, much, bigger chance we won't and we'll be stuck with a middling matchup (granted, that means we're middling, too :evil: ) Whole lotta risk, and not a whole heckuva lot of opportunity for a reward. Even with the premium matchups, the little guys beat up on each other and the big guys come out unscathed......bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

The BB may have had some usefulness early on, but it's become so bloated that there's more disadvantage than advantage. Go back to targeted matchups only and allow the rest of the teams to try and figure it out on their own as opposed to forced crummy matchups that can saddle a team for an additional season, as well.

Basically, I think it's outlived its usefulness or gotten out of control (part of the "everybody gets a trophy" malaise) as not to "offend" the schools that, plainly, ain't good enough to deserve a premium matchup/matchup to benefit their RPI.

Time to cut bait.......
I hear what you are saying and I don't disagree, but if BU were to start being relevant, they could get a good game. It is up to BU to make it a positive and not a negative. I don't care what happens to the other teams. BU needs to compete for the top of the conference and thus get a meaningful game. I don't care to accept mediocrity like the last 9 years. ;)
Liars need to have good memories. "I was talking to Al B. at the airport".
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

It *** primarily for Valley schools because most of us could get a better game if we're not in the TV features. The problem for BU is we haven't been good enough. It starts there. The one year we could've really been a feature, we weren't, and the one year we were a feature and beat a team on their floor that went on to beat Duke in the NCAA and it didn't work.

Like many things, there are things I like about it and things I don't. The expansion I'm OK with because it does facilitate things for the lower-tiered schools.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave »

As I said in another thread, BU needs to do whatever they can do to get into a better league when things start to shift. That includes getting out of the joke of a promotion called the 'BracketBusters'. We get enough garbage matchups in the non-con, why do we have to enter into something that gives us powerhouses like Loyola, UT-Martin, ETSU, and NIU? How is the program benefiting at all by ceding another part of our scheduling to yet another 3rd party? We already cede 18 games to the MVC (which is assumed), cede 4 more games to an exempt tourney organizer, and are more or less at the mercy of the PCC when it comes to scheduling home games. I would rather go on the road to a BCS powerhouse and get crushed annually than play in the BracketBusters.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation »

braves12 wrote:NCAA berths from teams that played in the Bracket Buster games -
2006 = 19
2007 = 17
2008 = 15
2009 = 13
2010 = 12
2011 = 13

Some of it is blind luck - ESPN always tries to invite projected conference champions from the bottom third of D-1 conferences, and they whiffed moreso than usual the last couple of years.

The other part of it is the MVC crapping the bed.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

The BrackerBuster might be not what it used to be, but as far as Bradley, we got meaningless games because we were just plain bad. Blame it on coaching, lack of talent or a combination of both but, BU put themselves in this position. Play well , coach well, and winning games will put us in a much better position and a televised game. Getting crushed by BCS teams do us no good. (Duke in 2010 for example). Nuff said!
go cubs go!
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

BradleyBrave wrote:As I said in another thread, BU needs to do whatever they can do to get into a better league when things start to shift.
If the growing rumor of TCU, WVU, Cinci and Louisville leaving the Big East are true, when the presidents of the Big East schools meet on Sunday, it could very well be about the dissolution of the league so that its members can find new homes quickly and without penalty.
BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave »

squirrel wrote:
BradleyBrave wrote:As I said in another thread, BU needs to do whatever they can do to get into a better league when things start to shift.
If the growing rumor of TCU, WVU, Cinci and Louisville leaving the Big East are true, when the presidents of the Big East schools meet on Sunday, it could very well be about the dissolution of the league so that its members can find new homes quickly and without penalty.
That's when we throw everything plus the kitchen sink at joining the new basketball only superleague with DePaul, Marquette, Butler, Dayton, Xavier, SLU, etc.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015
TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation »

While we throw that kitchen sink, I'd actually try harder to convince a 4-team expansion of Marquette, DePaul, St Louis, and Butler to the MVC and let the Catholic schools have their own 10 team league on the east coast.

Then both leagues can join the good side of a split.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/