Down to two weeks

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Down to two weeks

Post by squirrel »

Practices start a week from Friday and the Red-White scrimmage is now just two weeks from Tuesday!

This offseason can not end soon enough :lol:
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Down to two weeks

Post by dogsrus »

squirrel wrote:Practices start a week from Friday and the Red-White scrimmage is now just two weeks from Tuesday!

It will only get worse S.....If Geno doesn't go undefeated and make the finals of the MVC in year ONE the screams of "I told you so", "fallout" and the desire to return to the 9 years of mediocrity will be heard from...well I think you no where it will be the loudest.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Haha...well, this is also true. However, for the most part it is also true EVERY time there is a coaching change. So, if someone wants to be Captain Obvious, more power to 'em. :salute
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
Mrcoachdude
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by Mrcoachdude »

dogsrus wrote:
squirrel wrote:Practices start a week from Friday and the Red-White scrimmage is now just two weeks from Tuesday!

It will only get worse S.....If Geno doesn't go undefeated and make the finals of the MVC in year ONE the screams of "I told you so", "fallout" and the desire to return to the 9 years of mediocrity will be heard from...well I think you no where it will be the loudest.
I doubt you hear anything but praise for Geno and company....regardless of the outcome in year one... :mrgreen:

Supported Mo...supported JL...will support Geno too...its a Brave thing..... :td
Murph
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by Murph »

I'm jacked...... :score
leopardbutt
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by leopardbutt »

dogsrus wrote:It will only get worse S.....If Geno doesn't go undefeated and make the finals of the MVC in year ONE the screams of "I told you so", "fallout" and the desire to return to the 9 years of mediocrity will be heard from...well I think you no where it will be the loudest.
I also think, on the other side of the coin, that you will have people satisfied with results under GF that they would not have been satisfied with under JL. I think there are fans this year saying "just keep us out of Thursday" which, if JL was coach, would be calling for a championship. There are fringe people on both sides.
If people make fun of you, that probably means you're doing something right. –Evanescence
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

leopardbutt wrote:
dogsrus wrote:It will only get worse S.....If Geno doesn't go undefeated and make the finals of the MVC in year ONE the screams of "I told you so", "fallout" and the desire to return to the 9 years of mediocrity will be heard from...well I think you no where it will be the loudest.
I also think, on the other side of the coin, that you will have people satisfied with results under GF that they would not have been satisfied with under JL. I think there are fans this year saying "just keep us out of Thursday" which, if JL was coach, would be calling for a championship. There are fringe people on both sides.
:lol: OK. While you have a point, I don't think ANYONE would be calling for a championship if JL was the coach, except as an ultimatum which, obviously, is no longer applicable. But I also think one would be a fool if they thought a 10-year span without a championship is even acceptable. And that difference in year 1 and 9 makes that argument completely irrelevant.
ICEMANBU

Post by ICEMANBU »

leopardbutt wrote:
No objections to your final comment, that's absolutely correct. But, it's a false comparison you make regarding this year's results. You're trying to compare Year (what would've been) 10 of Jim Les to Year 1 of Geno Ford. By the time Year 10 comes around, there are much, much, much higher expectations for a coach as opposed an inaugural season for a coach. By Year 10, there's supposed to be a consistent base of talent and success. Years 1 of any coach are normally (not always) due to poor performance that led to the previous coach's dismissal. A Year 1 coach should pretty much always get more leeway than a Year 10 coach........
A real fan celebrates the successes, but acknowledges the failures of his team.

I am a Bradley Fan, not a Bradley Fascist.

Twitter: @DRustyCabbage
ICEMANBU

Post by ICEMANBU »

squirrel wrote:
leopardbutt wrote:
:lol: OK. While you have a point, I don't think ANYONE would be calling for a championship if JL was the coach, except as an ultimatum which, obviously, is no longer applicable. But I also think one would be a fool if they thought a 10-year span without a championship is even acceptable. And that difference in year 1 and 9 makes that argument completely irrelevant.
Dang you squirrel, you beat me to the punch.
A real fan celebrates the successes, but acknowledges the failures of his team.

I am a Bradley Fan, not a Bradley Fascist.

Twitter: @DRustyCabbage
leopardbutt

Post by leopardbutt »

squirrel wrote::lol: OK. While you have a point, I don't think ANYONE would be calling for a championship if JL was the coach, except as an ultimatum which, obviously, is no longer applicable. But I also think one would be a fool if they thought a 10-year span without a championship is even acceptable. And that difference in year 1 and 9 makes that argument completely irrelevant.
I didn't say anything about JL's results being acceptable or unacceptable. I'm just saying that there are a lot of people around here hoping for results under GF that they would have condemned under JL. And, interestingly enough, to these same people, GF is John Wooden compared to JL. So, if GF is a better coach, shouldn't the expectations be higher, not lower? Why the lowball?
If people make fun of you, that probably means you're doing something right. –Evanescence
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

leopardbutt wrote:
squirrel wrote::lol: OK. While you have a point, I don't think ANYONE would be calling for a championship if JL was the coach, except as an ultimatum which, obviously, is no longer applicable. But I also think one would be a fool if they thought a 10-year span without a championship is even acceptable. And that difference in year 1 and 9 makes that argument completely irrelevant.
I didn't say anything about JL's results being acceptable or unacceptable. I'm just saying that there are a lot of people around here hoping for results under GF that they would have condemned under JL. And, interestingly enough, to these same people, GF is John Wooden compared to JL. So, if GF is a better coach, shouldn't the expectations be higher, not lower? Why the lowball?

Agree on the "fringe" part.

Disagree on the Wooden/Ford comparison. I think what you are "hearing" is just that excitment brought on from "what MIGHT be." Most rational fans I talk to realize its all in the results. But just like spring baseball EVERYONE is undefeated until they throw out that first pitch.

I will also add this......Geno will NEVER get 9 years to prove himself......5-6 tops. If he's not above the mendoza line they won't keep him around like they did Jim. Thats NOT a shot at JL either. I understood it with him.

And of COURSE year 1 for a NEW coach will have much lower expectations and standards vs ANY coach in year 9. If BOTH JL's 9th and Geno's 1st season has the bar set at keeping us out of thursday.... :? :?
Last edited by dogsrus on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

dogsrus wrote:
leopardbutt wrote: And, interestingly enough, to these same people, GF is John Wooden compared to JL.
Disagree on the Wooden/Ford comparison.
That's what is referred to on the interwebs as Trolling, Dogs.
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus »

squirrel wrote:
dogsrus wrote:
leopardbutt wrote: And, interestingly enough, to these same people, GF is John Wooden compared to JL.
Disagree on the Wooden/Ford comparison.
That's what is referred to on the interwebs as Trolling, Dogs.
I quit trying to figure out troll vs non-troll .....I'm simply going to have a discusion with whomever as long as its reasonable and polite.

So bu_fn is SOL........
braves12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by braves12 »

leopardbutt wrote:
I think Coach Les got a pass on his 1st year that Coach Mo would not have gotten.
Liars need to have good memories. "I was talking to Al B. at the airport".
braves12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by braves12 »

Ford = Wooden probably not, but who knows down the road. All I know is that Coach Ford has shown he can win conference championships at Kent State. Can he do it at BU.....time will tell. He certainly does a lot of things different than the previous coach. Seems to me he has more Coach Mo and Coach Stowell in him than Coach Les and Coach Versace.
leopardbutt

Post by leopardbutt »

squirrel wrote:That's what is referred to on the interwebs as Trolling, Dogs.
Anything that disagrees with the party line is trolling? I think my points have been valid. And civil.
leopardbutt

Post by leopardbutt »

braves12 wrote:Ford = Wooden probably not, but who knows down the road. All I know is that Coach Ford has shown he can win conference championships at Kent State. Can he do it at BU.....time will tell. He certainly does a lot of things different than the previous coach. Seems to me he has more Coach Mo and Coach Stowell in him than Coach Les and Coach Versace.
I agree.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

leopardbutt wrote:
squirrel wrote:That's what is referred to on the interwebs as Trolling, Dogs.
Anything that disagrees with the party line is trolling? I think my points have been valid. And civil.
Outright distortion in the spirit of attempting to make others look bad is neither valid, nor civil.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Just win at home! The rest of the win/losses will take care of themselves. The makeup of this team, at least on paper, appears to be stronger with a deeper bench. At least a bench that will get some minutes. I'm more optimistic this season than the last several.
go cubs go!
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

I have no problem with leopardbutt's opinion. I disagree with much of it but some of what he says is valid. Where I disagree with him is in his comparison of Geno's first year expectations versus Les' 9th year results. Remember leopardbutt, Les' 7, 8th, and 9th years all showed steady decline. If Geno has not put a winner on the floor by year 3, and a team that legitimately contends for a conference championship (Top 2) by year five I will be less inclined to give him as much time as I gave Les..... Les NEVER even gave us even a Top 3 team in his nine years.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"
real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

Code: Select all

I
I
I cannot believe how many posters keep bringing Jim Les"s name up into these conversations, he is gone and it is time to move on to a new era, coach Ford has proven that he can coach by being named coach of the year at Kent State 2 seasons in a row, we should be excited about him and what he can do to get Bradley back to the top in basketball and stop all the negative crap.
braves12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by braves12 »

real fan wrote:

Code: Select all

I
I
I cannot believe how many posters keep bringing Jim Les"s name up into these conversations, he is gone and it is time to move on to a new era, coach Ford has proven that he can coach by being named coach of the year at Kent State 2 seasons in a row, we should be excited about him and what he can do to get Bradley back to the top in basketball and stop all the negative crap.
I am sure there will be negative things said about Coach Les' tenure at BU. I am also sure he can handle it. I think he wears big boy pants. Hopefully, negative comments deal with the results and not the person.
Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life »

I think it is the excitement for change and for Geno that have many continuously invoking Les' name....... Think about that for a moment. 8 )
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

real fan wrote: we should be excited about him and what he can do to get Bradley back to the top in basketball and stop all the negative crap.
Agree 100%. Like I said, this offseason can't end soon enough!
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

leopardbutt...I respect your opinion but your comparison is wildly off base here and I think you know it.

Let's try comparing apples to apples here.

A coach was at a place for 9 years. He got fired for not winning enough. A new guy takes over..usually this means the program is not in very good shape (or else the previous guy wouldn't have gotten fired). As a result, the new coach is allowed some time to A) get better players and B) put his stamp on the program. This stuff takes time. Again, I think you know this but you were just trying to be argumentative.

No coach is expected to have the same results in year one taking over for a dismal program to a coach who is in his 9th or 10th year as head coach of the same program. To expect otherwise is extremely shortsighted and uninformed.

Now, everybody knows my stance here....Geno Ford, just by his mere presence, will not work magic. It's about "Johnny and Joe's" and not "x's and o's". I'm sure the culture change will matter somewhat but nothing will matter until he has time to get better players on campus. It's always about the talent on the court. Always has been, always will be.

That right there is the reason, leopardbutt, that people say if Geno gets out of Thursday he has done a heck of a job. He was left with a really cruddy roster of talent.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson