BU's Financial Results ...bumbling and troubling

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
jim beam
All World
All World

Re: BU's Financial Results ...bumbling and troubling

Post by jim beam » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:32 am

jim beam wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:32 am
Hopefully the new BU President won’t crap all over himself and the university at the next Charley Steiner Sports Media Symposium.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

jim beam
All World
All World

Post by jim beam » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:45 am

Im curious what others thought of this release. Personally I thought it unnecessary.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:51 am

jim beam wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:45 am
Im curious what others thought of this release. Personally I thought it unnecessary.
Agreed. However, the folks that release these things also find it a good idea to continue to let Gary get in front of a microphone and/or reporters and continue to be incontinent.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:53 am

JMM28 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:51 am
jim beam wrote:
Agreed. However, the folks that release these things also find it a good idea to continue to let Gary get in front of a microphone and/or reporters and continue to be incontinent.
Bladder and bowel control has been an issue more than it should be, that’s for sure.
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

LJSites
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by LJSites » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Are we talking about diarrhea of the mouth here?

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:52 pm

If I was not on this board I would not know any of this. :P

Most BU alums are not participating here. What is the answer to get BU back on a solid financial footing? I have my theories but the board to me appears to be a bunch of very conservative individuals that are trying their best to keep running this school the way it has been running for the last half century.
"Wardle: Thanks for calling. I appreciate it."

PH
All World
All World

Post by PH » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:27 pm

I think the esports is good, and like cross-country and track might offer some synergies with game design

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:32 pm

PH wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:27 pm
I think the esports is good, and like cross-country and track might offer some synergies with game design
Bass fishing. Not kidding. We have Bass Pro and a top practice facility minutes from campus. A buddy of mine coaches bass fishing at a suburban Chicago HS. We could be the bass fishing hub of the Midwest. ESPN broadcasts the championships annually...only 1 division, similar to hockey. Why not?

https://www.collegiatebasschampionship.com/
“Bradley is a dream job for me. Why Bradley? It’s very simple. I knew all about Bradley growing up. I played at Carver Arena a couple of times. We didn’t win those games, but I plan on winning a lot there in the future.” - Brian Wardle, March 27, 2015

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:43 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:51 am
jim beam wrote:
I'm not around Peoria so I don't know how much traction this rumor had, but it seems to be a case of the BOT (or chairman) flexing their muscle to let everyone know who's in charge. Weaver is a conservative man of high character and integrity who probably didn't deserve to be "put in his place" publicly by someone at BU (that's how I read this).
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

PH
All World
All World

Post by PH » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:04 pm

BradleyBrave wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:32 pm
PH wrote:
Bass fishing. Not kidding. We have Bass Pro and a top practice facility minutes from campus. A buddy of mine coaches bass fishing at a suburban Chicago HS. We could be the bass fishing hub of the Midwest. ESPN broadcasts the championships annually...only 1 division, similar to hockey. Why not?

Good idea!
At the high school level, it seems to be affordable enough for small schools to pickup when there’s student and parent involvement.

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 pm

PH wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:04 pm
BradleyBrave wrote:
PH wrote:

Good idea!
At the high school level, it seems to be affordable enough for small schools to pickup when there’s student and parent involvement.
Just because Bass fishing is not my thing I have to believe you're on to something. Why not? I know someone who has made a really nice living on the tour.

There is also gaming competition. Doesn't BU have a major in gaming? A kid in HS made a cleared $3 million in a competition not too long ago.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/29/fortnit ... ament.html

BUFanatic
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by BUFanatic » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:53 pm

If we’re talking adding sports (other than Football which people around here are probably sick of hearing from me) hockey and lacrosse would be good gets. Both have men’s/women’s divisions and many of the students come from Chicago (strong Blackhawks support though maybe not as much lately). If you want to go big time we would have to join the Big East/ACC/B1G in hockey and the Big East/ACC in lacrosse. Not sure if that would be viable with a start up program.
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your hearts and you'll never walk alone, you'll never walk alone! One day soon we'll be back.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:23 am

SFP wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 pm
PH wrote:
BradleyBrave wrote:

Good idea!
Just because Bass fishing is not my thing I have to believe you're on to something. Why not? I know someone who has made a really nice living on the tour.

There is also gaming competition. Doesn't BU have a major in gaming? A kid in HS made a cleared $3 million in a competition not too long ago.
Game design and gaming ability are two completely different realms.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:58 pm

squirrel wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:23 am
SFP wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 pm
PH wrote:

Good idea!

Game design and gaming ability are two completely different realms.
Really? :roll:

dss03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dss03 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Hockey is really expensive. There’s a ton more good players in Illinois and Missouri than ever before, so there is a real growth opportunity, but you still would have to recruit wide. Travel for games would be expensive too.

If you’re a school that is financially sound and willing to pursue a long term growth opportunity, hockey could be a great idea. If you’re trying to get people to go on contract, and take part time, don’t think it is viable.
FunchessonPopcorn - "DSS03 is fantastic!"

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Infrastructure is often overlooked. That's where most of the expense is, beyond the annual scholarships.

Women's soccer would make the most sense. Too bad it's not a spring sport, though, as I think DeRose has earned the right to monopolize the facilities.

They'd be getting into the Lacrosse game about 15 years too late. . .And same thing with sand volleyball. . .

eSports is interesting. . .also bass fishing. . .but those aren't NCAA sports. If we're just throwing stuff out there, then we should have a club curling team. . .but there are no facilities in the immediate area.

I'd be all about water polo.

The NCAA also recognizes rugby as an emerging sport for women, and EIU had a very good program a number of years ago. I don't know if that is still the case.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Bumbling and troubling.

Bumbling. And. Troubling.

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Congratulations to Gary Roberts for setting a goal and smashing through it. 8,000,000 is a historic high deficit number!

I’ve got an easy way to cut 500k from that deficit. Stop his paychecks.

What do you think Pawn King would give for the scholastic bowl trophy?

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:54 pm

There are ~70 K living alumni. BU for the most part has been fiscally responsible. They should reach out and ask each alumni to pitch in $100 to help out on this special and hopefully one time occasion. They could also, have a special fund raising event in each key geographic location. It just takes a bit of thinking outside of the box.

Make it as a matter of fact. BU needs you because we're going through some hard financial time due to........explain it as plain and truthful as possible.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:06 pm

SFP wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:54 pm
There are ~70 K living alumni. BU for the most part has been fiscally responsible. They should reach out and ask each alumni to pitch in $100 to help out on this special and hopefully one time occasion. They could also, have a special fund raising event in each key geographic location. It just takes a bit of thinking outside of the box.

Make it as a matter of fact. BU needs you because we're going through some hard financial time due to........explain it as plain and truthful as possible.
Hard pass. They jeopardized the accreditation of one of their academic areas that I have a personal stake in by eliminating a critical service area of the library. As painful as the truth may be, maybe they shouldn't be so short-sighted in their cost-saving moves, and then turn around and ask for money to fix their faux-pas for a personal pet project. Until that is fixed (really and addressed in a much more generous manner including adequate facilities), they aren't getting one red cent from me outside of athletics.

BradleyBrave
All Universe
All Universe

Post by BradleyBrave » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:16 pm

PSA - If you want to ensure your generous donations make it where they belong (athletics) make sure you join or donate to the Braves Club. 100% of all donations and gifts to the Braves Club go to athletics...which is why we’re all here, right? Don’t let a bumbling and troubling situation elsewhere prevent Bradley Athletics from going where it needs to go!

Braves4Life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Braves4Life » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:47 pm

News flash BU!!!! Adding crappy little sports that very few care about ain't gonna fix this problem. Challenging demographics over the next decade are just going to make recruitment even more difficult. It's time to restructure the entire university and accept the inevitable shrinking enrollment. There are some good ideas around consolidation of colleges, departments, faculty and resources, including shrinking full-time faculty and utilizing part-time status for some professors to save on benefits. And while you're at it be sure to cut some of that bloat in the administration. Hopefully our now successful basketball team (and other sports teams) can begin bringing in a million plus in revenue by making (and advancing) in the NCAA tournaments. Get a new president who's well connected and who's a successful fundraiser. Bradley needs to find a few people willing to make $5M+ donations. Bradley needs to make it a priority to connect with some of their successful 70+ year old alums who may have an interest in creating a legacy with Bradley University.
"Once A Brave Always A Brave"

SFP
All Universe
All Universe

Post by SFP » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:47 pm
News flash BU!!!! Adding crappy little sports that very few care about ain't gonna fix this problem. Challenging demographics over the next decade are just going to make recruitment even more difficult. It's time to restructure the entire university and accept the inevitable shrinking enrollment. There are some good ideas around consolidation of colleges, departments, faculty and resources, including shrinking full-time faculty and utilizing part-time status for some professors to save on benefits. And while you're at it be sure to cut some of that bloat in the administration. Hopefully our now successful basketball team (and other sports teams) can begin bringing in a million plus in revenue by making (and advancing) in the NCAA tournaments. Get a new president who's well connected and who's a successful fundraiser. Bradley needs to find a few people willing to make $5M+ donations. Bradley needs to make it a priority to connect with some of their successful 70+ year old alums who may have an interest in creating a legacy with Bradley University.
They need to connect with all their albums. I agree with adding crappy little sports will probably do very little to move the needle. Curious to know how the current Administration has impacted the overall influx of foreign students. Where I feel strong about is your comment "accept the inevitable shrinking enrollment." Fact is this is happening to the majority of Universities. As a country we are in deep trouble if this trend is not put in check. The winners of the new economy will be those with highly educated citizens. Take a look at the states/counties with the highest education and see the difference between those and the lowest. :shock:

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:12 pm

Bradley's biggest problem is they have great ideas on where they need to go, but don't invest in them on the resource side for them to be successful...they can spend money in smart ways where they can grow enrollment. . .but they like to do things for the sake of doing them; not for the sake of them being successful or toward any meaningful benefit.