Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

For the civil discussion of pro sports
User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11056
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Did hear on the radio earlier today that this is the first time the Hawks have been shutout in back to back playoff games since 2002, when they were shutout by the Blues in Games 3 and 4 (both at the UC). They would go on to lose that series in 5 games. The coach of that Hawks team?...Brian Sutter.

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7411
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Reggie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:26 am

So nice of the Blackhawks to morph into the love child of the playoff Blues and playoff Capitals this series. Pretty sad when a team is down 3-0 when its goalie has given up one and two regulation goals in two of the three games. For a team lauded for its star power on offense is certainly has taken the entire series off.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

User avatar
Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7160
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: Goose Landing

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Mike Radigan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:54 am

Reggie wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:26 am
So nice of the Blackhawks to morph into the love child of the playoff Blues and playoff Capitals this series. Pretty sad when a team is down 3-0 when its goalie has given up one and two regulation goals in two of the three games. For a team lauded for its star power on offense is certainly has taken the entire series off.
It certainly appears they'll be well rested for next season. We've been beat at every facet of the game. Being outshot 49 - 36 ain't gittin' ur done. Do or die Thursday.

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11056
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 pm

A lot of talk coming out of Chicago about the age of the Blackhawks core starting to show itself in this series against Nashville.

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7411
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Reggie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:47 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 pm
A lot of talk coming out of Chicago about the age of the Blackhawks core starting to show itself in this series against Nashville.
A few years back the Blackhawks seemed poised for a long run with youngsters like Saad, Leddy, and Teravainan. Saad and Leddy were traded for salary cap purposed and Terevainan because he went backwards after a promising start. Panarin has been very good but there really have not been any young players to take the place of those they lost. The signing of Campbell and trade for Oduja were odd as both seem to have very little left in the tank. While I appreciate what both of those guys did for the Hawks in their respective Stanley Cup years it would seem that the Hawks would have been better served by going a different direction.

It will be an interesting off-season for the Hawks (I am assuming they do not come back from the dead in this series). While it is not exactly time to blow the whole thing up if would seem after two straight first round exits that they need to take another course than the one they have been on.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

User avatar
Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7160
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: Goose Landing

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Mike Radigan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 am

Reggie wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:47 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 pm
A lot of talk coming out of Chicago about the age of the Blackhawks core starting to show itself in this series against Nashville.
A few years back the Blackhawks seemed poised for a long run with youngsters like Saad, Leddy, and Teravainan. Saad and Leddy were traded for salary cap purposed and Terevainan because he went backwards after a promising start. Panarin has been very good but there really have not been any young players to take the place of those they lost. The signing of Campbell and trade for Oduja were odd as both seem to have very little left in the tank. While I appreciate what both of those guys did for the Hawks in their respective Stanley Cup years it would seem that the Hawks would have been better served by going a different direction.

It will be an interesting off-season for the Hawks (I am assuming they do not come back from the dead in this series). While it is not exactly time to blow the whole thing up if would seem after two straight first round exits that they need to take another course than the one they have been on.
Terevainan was traded as Carolina insisted he be part of the trade for the Hawks to dump Bickell's salary. Of course Bickell has been back in the news with the revelation he suffered from MS. He just announced his retirement. Sad.

Also yesterday, Chicago announced that they have recalled forwards Kyle Baun and Tyler Motte, and defenseman Erik Gustafsson from the Rockford IceHogs. I do not understand this at all.

User avatar
Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7160
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: Goose Landing

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Mike Radigan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 am

In an attempt to balance the offense between the Toews line and the Anisimov line I would swap left wings. Move the Bread Man up and move the left wing du jour on the top line down probably Smaltz. The Toews line needs to produce and hopefully Panarin can help provide that spark.

User avatar
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11311
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 am

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by soccerforever » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 pm

Dominated!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

User avatar
Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7160
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: Goose Landing

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Mike Radigan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Congrats to the Preds and to Rinne. They were the better team.

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11056
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm somewhat surprised how quiet this thread got during this series.

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11056
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm

So they're asking the following question on the Blackhawks postgame show that I'd like to get you all's perspective on...

How would you describe the Predators sweep of the Blackhawks?

A. One bad week
B. Bad matchup vs. Preds
C. Roster had playoff flaws

WILSON1
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:14 pm
Location: Peoria, Il.

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by WILSON1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 pm

C. I stated before the playoffs even started the Hawks would lose early. They were not doing the things successful playoffs teams do. Puck possession, faceoffs, shots on goal. They struggled most of the year with this. Am I surprised they lost? No. Am I surprised they got swept? Yes.

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7411
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Reggie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:42 am

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm
So they're asking the following question on the Blackhawks postgame show that I'd like to get you all's perspective on...

How would you describe the Predators sweep of the Blackhawks?

A. One bad week
B. Bad matchup vs. Preds
C. Roster had playoff flaws
A. Obviously
B. Hard to say that when the Hawks dominated the regular season series
C. Too many "names" rather than "players"

I cannot remember a more disappointing exit for the Blackhawks. It sure appears that 2015 was the last cup that will be won by this group of players. Nothing shabby about what they accomplished but it appears as though some retooling will have some of those cup winners headed elsewhere.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7411
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Reggie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:43 am

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 pm
I'm somewhat surprised how quiet this thread got during this series.
In all fairness all the threads on this message board have become quiet lately.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

User avatar
Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7160
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: Goose Landing

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Mike Radigan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am

The Hawks were a veteran club that was not prepared, they overlooked the Preds. And they ran into a hot goalie.

User avatar
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11311
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 am

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by soccerforever » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 am

Reggie wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:43 am
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 pm
I'm somewhat surprised how quiet this thread got during this series.
In all fairness all the threads on this message board have become quiet lately.
I made this point about a week or two ago. There are about 10 posters keeping the pro sports threads alive.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

User avatar
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7411
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:40 pm
Location: Butcher Hollow, KY

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Reggie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm

soccerforever wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 am
Reggie wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:43 am
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 pm
I'm somewhat surprised how quiet this thread got during this series.
In all fairness all the threads on this message board have become quiet lately.
I made this point about a week or two ago. There are about 10 posters keeping the pro sports threads alive.
Texting, twitter, and such have made message boards what newspapers are...dinosaurs.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

User avatar
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11056
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Petersburg
Contact:

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Reggie wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm
soccerforever wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 am
Reggie wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:43 am


In all fairness all the threads on this message board have become quiet lately.
I made this point about a week or two ago. There are about 10 posters keeping the pro sports threads alive.
Texting, twitter, and such have made message boards what newspapers are...dinosaurs.
I would disagree. Message boards can and still are active.

If anything changes, people get more active outside of places like this and so they may not post on here as often as they did in the past.

User avatar
Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7160
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: Goose Landing

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Mike Radigan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:28 am


deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 4000
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by deejay » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:04 pm

I am not a big hockey fan, but watch Hawks. I'd say they overlooked the Predators. Hard to fathom not showing up at home was the most alarming.
go cubs go!

User avatar
TheRoller
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by TheRoller » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:34 am

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm
So they're asking the following question on the Blackhawks postgame show that I'd like to get you all's perspective on...

How would you describe the Predators sweep of the Blackhawks?

A. One bad week
B. Bad matchup vs. Preds
C. Roster had playoff flaws
A- more than a bad week. After posting back to back wins over Pittsburgh and Columbus to finish March the Hawks went 0-4 to limp into the playoffs. I had hoped it was just a case of "We've got the #1 seed locked up so let's take it easy the rest of the way" but clearly there was more at work than that. With the exception of the first 30 minutes of game 3 they never did match the Preds intensity. Shockingly disappointing for a team with the pedigree the Hawks have.

B- As Reggie pointed out, the Hawks dominated the regular season series.

C- This is the same roster that won 50 games. Yes playoff hockey is different but still, no way this lineup should be in ANY danger of being humiliated the way they were.

I am VERY interested to see what the off season brings both in player moves and "stories". After Sharp moved on to Dallas there were lots of stories about "locker room distractions". Most of it is disputed (you can look it up yourselves if you feel the need) and I am not trying to bash Sharp, but it is clear this squad had no interest in this series. Very odd for a team that had a chance to put themselves in the class of the greatest franchises in history to bow out with nary a whimper, and not even seem to care. "Something" happened that fans don't know about and maybe never will but there is a reason a 3X Champion mailed it in and got swept.
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.

User avatar
Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 7160
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: Goose Landing

Re: Chicago Blackhawks 2016 - 2017

Post by Mike Radigan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 pm


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests