Re: Chicago Cubs 2017

Post by soccerforever » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:13 pm
soccerforever wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:47 pm
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:48 pm

This play kind of seals my opinion on what I want to happen when Russell comes back, even if its next year. Javy should play short and Russell should play 2nd. Javy has better range, a better glove, and a better arm. And I know this isnt REALLY important, but Javy also has a more stereotypical SS bat as well.
Russell will be the SS for the Cubs for the next 5 years and maybe beyond. What I want is Bryant to move to LF next year and put Baez at 3rd, but you know who is clogging up LF against right handed pitchers. That allows Happ to go to 2nd and Zobrist to be the utility player. I doubt Jay will be back so that puts Almora in CF next year.
In reality, we have 6 players for 5 spots (1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF): Rizzo, Baez, Russell, Bryant, Happ, Schwarber. Injuries happen. Slumps happen. People need rest. If we have those 6 for 5 spots, we're good. Almora/Jay/Heyward/free agent X will have our other 2 OF spots covered. Contreras at catcher. We're good.

(Honestly, I think Zobrist is on his last legs. If we get a good year out of him next year, great, but I think we're into anything-else-is-a-bonus territory).
I agree with your post, especially your comment about Zobrist.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Pipe dream: trade Almora, Schwarber, and a boatload of prospects for Trout. Happ, Trout, Heyward across the OF. Bryant, Russel, Baez, Rizzo across the infield and Contreras behind the plate :D

a guy can dream right?
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 pm

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:25 pm
Pipe dream: trade Almora, Schwarber, and a boatload of prospects for Trout. Happ, Trout, Heyward across the OF. Bryant, Russel, Baez, Rizzo across the infield and Contreras behind the plate :D

a guy can dream right?
You're going to need a bigger boat.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:31 am

Bryant for Trout.

Rizzo/Happ/Russell/Baez infield. Schwarber/Trout/Heyward outfield. It works
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:27 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 pm
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:25 pm

a guy can dream right?
You're going to need a bigger boat.
Hence the words pipe dream :D
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:14 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:31 am
Bryant for Trout.

Rizzo/Happ/Russell/Baez infield. Schwarber/Trout/Heyward outfield. It works
You would need a lot more than just Bryant such as Bryant, Schwarber, and prospects. Bryant is very good, but Trout is a generational type player.

jim beam
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by jim beam » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:59 am

I think Cub Nation would not be happy with any move that involved Bryant or Rizzo. Mike Trout IMO is the best player in the game, and clearly he would make every team better. But, also IMO , the Cubs don't need him. They are going to win the division, they are more than likely going to the WS again and I think will for the foreseeable future.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:06 pm

jim beam wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:59 am
I think Cub Nation would not be happy with any move that involved Bryant or Rizzo. Mike Trout IMO is the best player in the game, and clearly he would make every team better. But, also IMO , the Cubs don't need him. They are going to win the division, they are more than likely going to the WS again and I think will for the foreseeable future.
Fans would get over it very quickly. Look at the situation with Arrieta where 2 years ago he was untouchable, then it was Cubs should let him walk. Hanging on to players even great ones and turning down deals that would make the team better would be a huge mistake and is the difference between a good run and a dynasty.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 pm

lol people taking Bryant for Trout seriously

I said it half in jest....I don't think we'll ever see that, after 1 title it's going to be ride-or-die with this core from here on.

Besides, if we trade Schwarber for Trout who else are the Angels throwing into the deal to even it out? :joker

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 am

Baseball never ceases to amaze...Indians flirting with history-setting win streak concurrent with a Dodgers losing streak that is their longest since leaving Brooklyn, in the same season they were flirting with an all-time leaderboard win total.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:20 pm

squirrel wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 am
Baseball never ceases to amaze...Indians flirting with history-setting win streak concurrent with a Dodgers losing streak that is their longest since leaving Brooklyn, in the same season they were flirting with an all-time leaderboard win total.
I saw a stat on Twitter that if the Indians were "chasing" the Dodgers in the standings, they would have picked up something crazy like 14 games in 19 days.
-Tommy Lasorda

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 pm

It would be huge if Schwarber could get hot the next couple weeks. Need the offense to wake up!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Walks in the ninth especially with a big lead drive me nuts. The Cubs do win however and maintain their lead at two. But the division is still up for grabs with four teams in the hunt. Cincinnati was mathematically eliminated tonight.

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:42 am

Justin Wilson drives me nuts. Obviously it's in his head now. He is such a huge disappointment. Was supposed to be a late inning lock down guy and Cubs can't even use him. He can't even pitch one inning in an 8-2 game!!! I don't blame front office, his numbers were good in Detroit, no way to know he'd come here and choke his *** off. Luckily Avila has been very good for them, but with the bullpen as bad as it's been lately, sure could use a guy like the Tigers Justin Wilson, not this sorry bum that pitches in a Cubs uniform.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Almora is our best defensive player in center, yet he is getting little playing time down the stretch.
go cubs go!

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:34 pm

There you go. 3 run HR for Almora. I agree he should get more starts. Maddon has made it between him and Happ for PT. IMO, it shouldn't be, Almora should be in CF and Happ in right. Heyward should sit more often than not. I love Heyward as a person and leader, but his production at plate is awful, no way to argue that both Albert and Happ shouldn't be in the lineup over him.

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am

bigtime54 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:34 pm
There you go. 3 run HR for Almora. I agree he should get more starts. Maddon has made it between him and Happ for PT. IMO, it shouldn't be, Almora should be in CF and Happ in right. Heyward should sit more often than not. I love Heyward as a person and leader, but his production at plate is awful, no way to argue that both Albert and Happ shouldn't be in the lineup over him.
As my post a couple days ago showed I also want to see Almora in center, do you really want to bench Heyward and play Schwarber? I don't see how that makes the Cubs better.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:04 am

soccerforever wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am
bigtime54 wrote:
As my post a couple days ago showed I also want to see Almora in center, do you really want to bench Heyward and play Schwarber? I don't see how that makes the Cubs better.
Personally, yes I would like Schwarber in LF, Almora in CF, and Happ in RF, on most days. Of course that would vary depending on if Zobrist is playing second or not. Also, flexibility to play Willson in LF and catch Avila. But yes if it was between an outfield of Happ in LF, Almora in CF, and Heyward in RF....or Schwarber in LF, Almora in CF and Happ in RF I would take the 2nd option. Schwarber has come alive a bit at the plate lately and his numbers since the break are actually quite good. Just my opinion.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:31 am

bigtime54 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:04 am
soccerforever wrote:
bigtime54 wrote:
Personally, yes I would like Schwarber in LF, Almora in CF, and Happ in RF, on most days. Of course that would vary depending on if Zobrist is playing second or not. Also, flexibility to play Willson in LF and catch Avila. But yes if it was between an outfield of Happ in LF, Almora in CF, and Heyward in RF....or Schwarber in LF, Almora in CF and Happ in RF I would take the 2nd option. Schwarber has come alive a bit at the plate lately and his numbers since the break are actually quite good. Just my opinion.
Heyward is a gold glove defender. There are bats up and down the lineup that can more than compensate for his lack of production at the plate. There is NOBODY on the cubs roster that is a better outfielder than Heyward. Happ in LF vs. Lefties Schwarber vs righties, Almora in CF, and Heyward in RF is the ideal lineup IMO. Then you bring in Happ or John Jay as a defensive sub for Schwarber late in the game.
-Tommy Lasorda

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:31 am
bigtime54 wrote:
soccerforever wrote:

Heyward is a gold glove defender. There are bats up and down the lineup that can more than compensate for his lack of production at the plate. There is NOBODY on the cubs roster that is a better outfielder than Heyward. Happ in LF vs. Lefties Schwarber vs righties, Almora in CF, and Heyward in RF is the ideal lineup IMO. Then you bring in Happ or John Jay as a defensive sub for Schwarber late in the game.
I agree with this.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:26 pm

soccerforever wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:31 am
bigtime54 wrote:

I agree with this.
Me too.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 pm

bigtime54 wrote:
Schwarber has hit .249 since the break. However, this is because Maddon is only using him situationally almost exclusively against right handers. His road .161 vs. home .249 splits for the season are awful as well. He has thus far shown his best usage is strictly platoon preferable for the Cubs at home vs. righties.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 pm
bigtime54 wrote:
Schwarber has hit .249 since the break. However, this is because Maddon is only using him situationally almost exclusively against right handers. His road .161 vs. home .249 splits for the season are awful as well. He has thus far shown his best usage is strictly platoon preferable for the Cubs at home vs. righties.
I agree with everything you say here, but it's still a very small sample big picture with Schwarber, and he's still a guy that you want to get as many ABs as possible, for continued development of a natural hitter. But in the WS chase, you play the numbers.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Tseng looks as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:30 pm

It's always felt like Maddon wanted Almora to be the tag-team partner of Schwarber (defense-offense). Almora is forcing his hand.