For the civil discussion of pro sports
quince
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Re: Chicago Cubs 2017

Post by quince » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:18 pm

deejay wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:53 pm
We all know it's coming. They should and players can't adjust? Our defense has been susceptible this Series. The ability to make plays.
Well, Strasburg is a pretty darn good MLB pitcher. Part of that is, well, being able to pitch.

A 95 mph fastball gets to the plate in 0.4 seconds. A change up looks like a fastball. His change up is also diving off the table.

Sometimes, pitchers aren't very hittable.

Do you actually watch much baseball, and when you do watch, do you know what you are seeing? Or do you just like to complain?

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:21 pm

See everyone tomorrow night. Time for the bats to come alive.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Well..... that stunk. It would've been cool if CJ could throw strikes.
"The Pack Leader"

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:22 pm

**** :x
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

quince
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by quince » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 pm

One thing I have always wondered about. Why does Wrigley have that stupid basket? That's not a slam if the basket isn't there. That's caught for an out.

oftenrunning52
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 pm

Edwards Jr. should not be on this team next year. He has little control and looks scared on the mound in pressure situations. The Kyle Schwarber experiment has failed while we are at. Trade him to an AL team for whatever they might offer.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Smart move to get to Strasburg's spot in the order by any means necessary. We'll get the runs we need off the pen :joker
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Joe goes to Edwards once too often. Still have to throw strikes to win games.
go cubs go!

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:31 pm

quince wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 pm
One thing I have always wondered about. Why does Wrigley have that stupid basket? That's not a slam if the basket isn't there. That's caught for an out.
Unruly bleacher creatures. Especially during the 1969 season, there were numerous instance of bleacher fans jumping on to the field, as well as deliberate fan interference with balls. It was installed in 1970.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:44 pm

oftenrunning52 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 pm
Edwards Jr. should not be on this team next year. He has little control and looks scared on the mound in pressure situations. The Kyle Schwarber experiment has failed while we are at. Trade him to an AL team for whatever they might offer.
I am upset at Edwards too but not to the point that I don’t want him on the team anymore. He had 2 bad outings in this series that I am sure he would like to do over but he is also a very talented young reliever. This may shock some but I also don’t want to give away Schwarber for nothing. If they find the right trade I understand completely and would support it, if not he still can hit righties and Joe knows to pull him late in games with the lead.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm

I am going to rewatch USA-Trinidad & Tobago from last night. Because I'm joyless.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:31 pm

squirrel wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm
I am going to rewatch USA-Trinidad & Tobago from last night. Because I'm joyless.
Why don't you watch the replay of 2003 game 6 while you are at it to complete the trifecta? :gagr
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:04 pm

oftenrunning52 wrote:
What, trade the best pure hitter in baseball? Schwarber is likely already or soon will be the best hitter on the Cubs in a couple of years, or at least that is what many have said.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:04 pm
oftenrunning52 wrote:
What, trade the best pure hitter in baseball? Schwarber is likely already or soon will be the best hitter on the Cubs in a couple of years, or at least that is what many have said.
:zsurr
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

jim beam
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by jim beam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:17 pm

deejay wrote:
We all know it's coming. They should and players can't adjust? Our defense has been susceptible this Series. The ability to make plays.
But we don't all know its coming.. that's what is fundamental..the kid is a heck of a pitcher. He mixes a plus fastball with a deadly changeup. Do just think the cub hitters are that undisciplined?? No, he just continually fools them. Give him credit, its a thing of beauty
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:21 pm

jim beam wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:17 pm
deejay wrote:
But we don't all know its coming.. that's what is fundamental..the kid is a heck of a pitcher. He mixes a plus fastball with a deadly changeup. Do just think the cub hitters are that undisciplined?? No, he just continually fools them. Give him credit, its a thing of beauty
Agree with this.
"The Pack Leader"

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Strasburg is 85-45, has an 3.07 ERA, averages more than 1k / inning, and has a WHIP of 1.08 for his career. He has made all of baseball "undisciplined" at the plate his entire career.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:48 am

Anyone notice Baez not running out the ball hit back to Strasburg with runners on? Think Joe goes back to Zobrist tonight at second. Cubs need to get their swagger back. Yankees did them a huge favor last night in beating the Indians. If you can only fathom the Yankees and Cubs running the table with Chicago getting home field advantage. Has to start tonight.
go cubs go!

oftenrunning52

Post by oftenrunning52 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
oftenrunning52 wrote:
I know you're joking and jabbing someone else, but he has devolved at the plate and not improved in the outfield (and has cost us in the field this series). He had to be sent back to Iowa it was so bad. He has little trade value now, but he is a liability on the roster. Just DH-ing might be good for him, but it does nothing for an NL team (an argument many were making this past off-season when he had trade value).

Edwards has shown that he is scared in pressure, playoff situations. He has the same look Marmol used to have. He knows bad stuff is going to happen. With a team bound for the playoffs every year, you can't afford to have that guy in the bullpen.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:01 am

I would have loved to see (wanted it at the time) Duensing to come in to face Wieters. I thought that was the time to go to him. I think Joe was trying to prove a point because he made a big deal the other night that Edwards is so good against lefties. But just like game 2, you had a lefty hitter up, a lefty reliever ready, and he kept Edwards in. We know the history, terrible walk, bases loaded...then the slam. I'm betting Duensing woulda got Wieters and we go to the bottom of 8th down 1-0. Like our chances then.

PH
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by PH » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 am

Does Carl always have worse career numbers when pitching after Lester? Or is that just this small playoff sample?

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 am

oftenrunning52 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 am
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
oftenrunning52 wrote:
I know you're joking and jabbing someone else, but he has devolved at the plate and not improved in the outfield (and has cost us in the field this series). He had to be sent back to Iowa it was so bad. He has little trade value now, but he is a liability on the roster. Just DH-ing might be good for him, but it does nothing for an NL team (an argument many were making this past off-season when he had trade value).

Edwards has shown that he is scared in pressure, playoff situations. He has the same look Marmol used to have. He knows bad stuff is going to happen. With a team bound for the playoffs every year, you can't afford to have that guy in the bullpen.
Schwarber has an MLB career VORP of 36.4. His value may have decreased slightly over this year, but again, he carried an OPS over 1.0 for the entire last month of the season. He's still just 24 and not yet even played a full MLB season. His career numbers at this point are merely a baseline. Devolved t at the plate he has not. Every player has significant struggles at the plate at some point in their career. And he powered through it.

File this under I think we are still forgetting how young this roster is.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:18 am

My issue isn't with Schwarber himself but the notion that:

A) He would be an effective lead off hitter
B) He is the best pure hitter in baseball
C) He is so valuable as to be virtually untradable
D) He could be a regular catcher or really any type of adequate fielder

I thought the Cubs should have traded him in the off season when his value was higher, but as a Cardinals fan I am glad they didn't.

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:18 am
My issue isn't with Schwarber himself but the notion that:

A) He would be an effective lead off hitter
B) He is the best pure hitter in baseball
C) He is so valuable as to be virtually untradable
D) He could be a regular catcher or really any type of adequate fielder

I thought the Cubs should have traded him in the off season when his value was higher, but as a Cardinals fan I am glad they didn't.
A. only thought by Joe Maddon
B. Not said by majority of Cubs' fan, or even a big percentage
C. That was felt by Theo and Jed, and last year was a valid thought.
D. Nobody thought he could be a regular catcher, not even the FO or staff. As for a an adequate fielder, he makes high profile mistakes, but has improved a ton in left.

"as a cardinal fan you are glad they didn't trade him". LOL, his presence really hurt the Cubs this year as they spanked the Cards to a tune of a 14-5 record. And he really hurt his club this year when he hit that late inning bomb off Brett Cecil to give Cubs the comeback win in April over Cards. Now to be clear, I am not a huge Schwarber fan and I actually felt they should have considered trading him before the break, I also would prefer to see Happ play over him this series. I just have encountered more than one Cards fan who is obsessed with gloating about his struggles, I don't get it.

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 am

How much pressure is on the Cubs tonight?
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”