tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:24 am
JD wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:19 am
cpacmel wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am
Matt Nagy new Bears HC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... head-coach
and just had a Bears fan text me....."The guy who couldn't get a point in the 2nd half, at home, versus the Titans." and didn't give Hunt the ball.

Still probably a good hire.
Recency bias at its worst. If he was a good hire before the playoff game he is still a good hire.
Exactly. And there are varied reports that Nagy only called the first 15 plays of Saturday's game if not the first half with Reid calling the remainder of the plays.

I gotta say I'm intrigued by the hire. The offense that Nagy ran in KC does feature a lot of things that Trubisky has the ability to do.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Chicago Bears 2017

Post by real fan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:26 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:24 am
JD wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:19 am
cpacmel wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am
Matt Nagy new Bears HC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... head-coach
and just had a Bears fan text me....."The guy who couldn't get a point in the 2nd half, at home, versus the Titans." and didn't give Hunt the ball.

Still probably a good hire.
Recency bias at its worst. If he was a good hire before the playoff game he is still a good hire.
Time will tell if this is a good hire or not. He will need good assistants to be successful just like every other team.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 am

Nagy will be the offensive play caller in addition to head coach. I always think it is a mistake for a head coach to call plays, but in this case in particular it is worse. Why would strong offensive assistant coaches or an OC come to the Bear's knowing the head coach isn't going to give you the authority and ability to develop as a coach? It isn't like Nagy is a so established that just working for him is enough to develop a coach like it is for more established coaches. Also, it seems a mistake to pretty much admit your head coach is ignoring one side of the ball. Does a good DC want to come in knowing the GM and head coach only care about the offense? Seems like a recipe to have an under performing defense which only makes the DC look bad. Finally, Nagy has only coached under Reid. He doesn't have extensive league contacts or respect to draw a strong set of assistant coaches. This means either he won't get them, or they the front office will play an oversized role in picking his assistants for him.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:05 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 pm
So the Bear's hire an OC who called plays for a total of 6 whole games to coach an offense and team where the QB started 13 whole games after high school to throw and hand off to his primary, dynamic offensive weapons who played a total of 0 D1 games before being drafted. There is thinking outside the box, and there is being too clever for the sake of being too clever. Pace is starting to feel like the later.

Oh, the Bears are also blocking Fangio from interviews with other teams about DC openings until his contract is officially up tomorrow. That'll help bring in coaching talent.
This hire is not thinking outside the box. Nagy was one of the hot prospects in the game, sought after by most teams that had an opening. He comes from Andy Reid's coaching tree, which has been very successful. Reid himself calls him the best head coaching prospect he's ever had on his staff. I get questioning Pace on drafting the small school kids, jury is very much out on Shaheen, but Cohen has already proven he is worth the 4th rounder they used on him. By the way, their primary offensive weapon is Jordan Howard, and he did play D1 football at UAB then Indiana. Time will tell on Trubisky, I did want Watson at the time and Mitch certainly had ups and downs, but he also showed traits that he can be very very good. Here's hoping Nagy and his staff can bring it out. With the Fangio stuff, yeah it'd be great to keep him, but he knows he will never be a head coach, it's all about him choosing where he wants to be now and the money as well.

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:13 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 am
Nagy will be the offensive play caller in addition to head coach. I always think it is a mistake for a head coach to call plays, but in this case in particular it is worse. Why would strong offensive assistant coaches or an OC come to the Bear's knowing the head coach isn't going to give you the authority and ability to develop as a coach? It isn't like Nagy is a so established that just working for him is enough to develop a coach like it is for more established coaches. Also, it seems a mistake to pretty much admit your head coach is ignoring one side of the ball. Does a good DC want to come in knowing the GM and head coach only care about the offense? Seems like a recipe to have an under performing defense which only makes the DC look bad. Finally, Nagy has only coached under Reid. He doesn't have extensive league contacts or respect to draw a strong set of assistant coaches. This means either he won't get them, or they the front office will play an oversized role in picking his assistants for him.
Actually that is more attractive to veteran established D coordinator like Fangio. He knows that the head coach will give him autonomy to run the defense. Saying he won't get good assistants because he is young and only been with reid is absurd. It didn't hurt Pederson on Philly did it? He has a good staff. Shanahan, Pederson, and McVay are all young guys who call their own plays and they attracted quality offensive assistants, no reason that Nagy can't as well.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 am

bigtime54 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:13 am
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 am
Actually that is more attractive to veteran established D coordinator like Fangio. He knows that the head coach will give him autonomy to run the defense. Saying he won't get good assistants because he is young and only been with reid is absurd. It didn't hurt Pederson on Philly did it? He has a good staff. Shanahan, Pederson, and McVay are all young guys who call their own plays and they attracted quality offensive assistants, no reason that Nagy can't as well.
For most coaches that call their own plays it catches up to them. Andy Reid and McCarthy are perfect examples of coaches who continue to take heat for not giving it up. It always seems to happen that one side of the ball suffers if the head coach is too involved one side or the other.

In the Bear's case, they have made it abundantly clear they are all in for the offense. The fact Fangio turned the Bears into a respectable defense is a miracle that will only get harder because the Bears have already stated they are going to focus on improving the offense via the draft and free agency. The Packers and New Orleans are examples of what will happen to the Bears defense. The offensive coach and GM focus all their attention on offense while their defenses stink.

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:06 am

Packers are going to hire Pettine (according to reports). Odds looking up to bring Fangio back.

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Harry Hiestand first official hire for OL coach. Very good get, very well thought of as a teacher.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 am

Bears new OC has no NFL coaching experience at any level.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2204 ... oordinator

They really, really need Fangio.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 pm

I wouldn’t worry about the NFL experience and I don’t care for hiring NFL retreads. Vic wants to go back to west coast. The longer he waits, the more likely he is gone. The thing I do like about Nagy, he has let all holdovers interview for positions. But he isn’t going to let grass grow under his feet.
go cubs go!

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:03 pm

deejay wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 pm
I wouldn’t worry about the NFL experience and I don’t care for hiring NFL retreads. Vic wants to go back to west coast. The longer he waits, the more likely he is gone. The thing I do like about Nagy, he has let all holdovers interview for positions. But he isn’t going to let grass grow under his feet.
Ditto. I like the OC hire. The playbook is going to be a Andy Reid/Nagy playbook anyway, all Helfricht is going to do is help incorporate parts of the spread into it, which is a good thing. Still in on Fangio and trying to get DC from Cardinals if they can't get VIc, some say the guy from Cardinals is even better. They are on the right track so far.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:06 pm

I like what I see thus far.
go cubs go!

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Fangio staying 3 year contract....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

bigtime54
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Post by bigtime54 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm

dogsrus wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:52 pm
Love it!! Nagy and Pace earning universal praise from pundits on their hires so far.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:09 pm

bigtime54 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm
dogsrus wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:52 pm
Love it!! Nagy and Pace earning universal praise from pundits on their hires so far.
Same here. And them getting the coaching staff in place allows them all to be together and scout when Senior Bowl practices start the week after next.