All Universe
All Universe

Re: Chicago Bears 2018

Post by illini25 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:30 pm

deejay wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:25 pm
Some things never change.
Time for a new coach. :lol:
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 pm

illini25 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:30 pm
deejay wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:25 pm
Some things never change.
Time for a new coach. :lol:
Psh. Time for a new QB clearly. Chase Daniel can run this offense better than Trubisky can.

young guns
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by young guns » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:42 pm

[quote=Bluejaygrad03

Psh. Time for a new QB clearly. Chase Daniel can run this offense better than Trubisky can.
[/quote]

They treated him like a veteran QB during preseason instead of letting him gain some experience on those games. I thought that was a mistake at the time.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:42 pm

Forte, Briggs and Brown ripping 3rd and short play calling. They said Nagy trying to prove how smart he is rather than win the game.

Also rip Fuller on INT drop and also Fuller getting outrun by Mack when Cobb scored winning TD. Think Fuller dogged it on that play.
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:48 pm

illini25 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:42 pm
Forte, Briggs and Brown ripping 3rd and short play calling. They said Nagy trying to prove how smart he is rather than win the game.

Also rip Fuller on INT drop and also Fuller getting outrun by Mack when Cobb scored winning TD. Think Fuller dogged it on that play.
The 3rd and short play call at the end of the game was surprising to me. I was 100% sure they would run it and pickup the 1st down.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Let's count the ways the Bears lost this game (in no particular order):

1. They paid dearly to move up one spot in the 2017 draft to take a QB who seemingly cannot make simple throws that an NFL QB has to make. On the second drive he had an easy TD throw that was there yet he launched it. Settled for three. The four lost points is kind of important when you consider they lost by one.

2. The coach obviously does not trust that QB, even with a lead of 10+ points. What was working the first two series (ten points) was for some reason abandoned with the hope that the defense would continue dominating. They didn't.

3. The defensive line that dominated the first 30 minutes may as well left at halftime. No pass rush gets carved up by Rodgers every time. Roquan Smith? Was he in there the second half? If not, why not?

4. Kyle Fuller. Catch the **** ball. I said at the time the Bears should have let the Packers overpay for his "I show up once every four seasons" act. Way to pick the team up by dropping that ball. I look forward to much more incompetent play.

5. Leading 20-17 with 3rd and 1 and a chance to win the game with a first down. Every fan knows what happens if you settle for a FG: you lose 24-23. Two downs to make one yard. A mobile QB, a pounding runner, and a little HB with speed. Many, many options that do not involve throwing a forward pass. Yet on the biggest play of the game the QB you do not trust (see: #2) who cannot make throws NFL QB's need to make (see: #1) is dropped back and allowed to throw an incomplete pass to stop the clock. I would have used both downs, gone on 4th down, and decided the game right then and there. And I will not even get into the fact that on the play he had Cohen isolated on a much slower player yet decided not to throw to him.

6. Dumb offensive linemen. A drive stalled on the GB 37 in the first half after another Kyle Long holding penalty. The drive had some momentum and perhaps at least a 40 yd FG attempt would have been in order. And on the final drive a penalty on the center for illegal man downfield? Yes, the same center who launched a first down snap that essentially killed the final scoring drive that resulted in a FG.

7. Ryan Pace exposed. The Roquan Smith ordeal hurt the team immensely tonight. He HAD to be signed earlier and HAS to be on the field. Sorry, but I do not need to see Kwiatkowski trailing a RB or TE any more. Not only did this hurt the team for one night but I would be **** leery of signing with the Bears after seeing how he was treated.

This is the worst loss I ever recall for a Bears team. Yes, even worse than the Harbaugh collapse at the Metrodome. And to think there are 15 more games of crap football to sit through. :hang
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:20 am

#5 Reggie.... 2 downs to make one yard. Game.. set.... match.
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:25 am

Not to derail Bears fan meltdowns, but the coaching staff must trust Trubisky as they called pass on 3rd and 1 and also didn't feel playing in the preseason games 4-5 were important. Is their trust misguided, probably as I thought the cost to move up unnecessarily to draft him was too high, but it seems the coaching staff trusts him at this point.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:25 am
Not to derail Bears fan meltdowns, but the coaching staff must trust Trubisky as they called pass on 3rd and 1 and also didn't feel playing in the preseason games 4-5 were important. Is their trust misguided, probably as I thought the cost to move up unnecessarily to draft him was too high, but it seems the coaching staff trusts him at this point.
it’s his 6th.... 7 th pro game or so i’m not upset with Trubisky. He’s got some talent. This loss is directly on coaching staff . Of course it’s Nagys first game but.... :rambo
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:53 am

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Actually Redbird, I know you and I (along with many other Bears fans) were not thrilled with the move up to get Trubisky and now I am wondering just how good this kid is. I know he's young, but forget all the other stuff last night about why the Bears lost (the dropped interception by Fuller the worse part - just catch it game over and we are talking win). My main concern last night is how BAD Trubisky looked. Even forget play calling for moment - his throws after the first two drives were awful! But especially the last half, he underthrew, overthrew and many times was more intent on running than throwing. His stats after the first two drives was horrible. Had what, maybe 60 yards throwing the rest of game? Maybe part of that is the conservative play calling but still, when he did throw medium (even short passes) they were not good. I saw Patrick Mahomes yesterday and he was great (sure having Hill is quite an advantage) but Mahomes was firing darts and he has a cannon for an arm. While Watson did have a great day yesterday, I have seen enough to think he is going to be a very good QB. Trubisky? I still don't know if he is a starting/good NFL QB at this point. Maybe he is and maybe he turns out good - but I really have not at this point, seen that much that gives me hope. I would rather have either Mahomes or Watson and the Bears would not have had to trade up to get them and could have even gotten an extra pick!!!

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:58 am

dogsrus wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 am
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
it’s his 6th.... 7 th pro game or so i’m not upset with Trubisky. He’s got some talent. This loss is directly on coaching staff . Of course it’s Nagys first game but.... :rambo
While I am not upset with Trubisky (he's doing his best) - I certainly have a lot of questions about him. And I have not seen the talent you are talking about. He's made a few throws but even the worse NFL QB's make a few throws. He runs good but in the NFL you need much more than that. At this point, from last year to last night, I have not seen anything that makes me think that Trubisky is going to be a star or even good NFL QB. I hope he is but right now I don't see much. THIS is why it would have been nice to let him play MORE in the pre=season. He needs reps and playing conditions. I really think Nagy blew that this year....

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:25 pm

It’s fair to question his talent but again... 1 st game of the year.... on the road in Green Bay. Think back to countless rookies including Farve, Manning and how crappy they started out. Do i think he’ll be either of those guys... prob not but it’s early.

Two or three different things happen and are we even having this discussion including the dropped pick by fuller... Nagy getting his head outta his **** and running the #%€& ball on third and or 4th down and it’s game over.

It’s agravating for sure but after i’m done blowing my top i’m going to give them some time.....3-5 games will tell us more.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:18 pm

My issue with the trade up was that he had such a small resume at North Carolina. Considering the resumes of him and Watson I did not think the two were even comparable...and yet Watson went way lower.

I think all Bears fans can agree that we are glad Kizer was not the pick. Lost in the shuffle last night was that had he not been so horrible protecting the ball the Bears likely would have lost by 2-3 touchdowns. Somehow he looked worse last night than he did with the Browns last year.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Reggie wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:18 pm
My issue with the trade up was that he had such a small resume at North Carolina. Considering the resumes of him and Watson I did not think the two were even comparable...and yet Watson went way lower.

I think all Bears fans can agree that we are glad Kizer was not the pick. Lost in the shuffle last night was that had he not been so horrible protecting the ball the Bears likely would have lost by 2-3 touchdowns. Somehow he looked worse last night than he did with the Browns last year.
I don't think Kizer was a serious consideration for the Bears was he? I was thinking the same thing the game Reg - if Kizer had not been in there, Green Bay might have won this game a lot easier, maybe like 31-16 or something. After reviewing last night, I am not all that optimistic at this point. The Bears first two drives were wonderful but then Green Bay adjusted and that was it. Other NFL teams will adjust to whatever Nagy's offense throws at them. At this point, the Bears have a very good ground game - stick to that but unfortunately you have to wonder if Nagy will try to show every one what a genius he is and will try to get too fancy. I don't trust the passing game at this point. The defense again, was great the first half but part of that was against a bad Kizer. Once the Packers and Rodgers adjusted, he scorched the secondary for 250 yards in second half. Yes, Bears were gassed (again thank you Nagy for not playing your starters hardly at all in pre season). But maybe the secondary is not very good - and with Russell, Stafford, Cousins and more on the horizon, the Bears have to play better against the pass. Mack can't do it all - and by the way where was pretty boy Floyd last night?

homey01
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by homey01 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Most important-they covered the spread.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:01 pm

No brainer late in game, when you have a yard and two tries to get it, you don’t throw the darn ball. Everyone new that a 6 point lead would not hold up with Rodgers at qb. People also forget that once again, Howard stepped out of bounds, stopping the clock. He did that last year too. I don’t like continued excuses on why they lose a game that they should have won.
go cubs go!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:15 pm

deejay wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:01 pm
People also forget that once again, Howard stepped out of bounds, stopping the clock. He did that last year too. I don’t like continued excuses on why they lose a game that they should have won.
I could be wrong but I thought on that one long run he had late in the game, he nearly stepped out but did stay in bounds.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:15 pm
deejay wrote:
People also forget that once again, Howard stepped out of bounds, stopping the clock. He did that last year too. I don’t like continued excuses on why they lose a game that they should have won.
I could be wrong but I thought on that one long run he had late in the game, he nearly stepped out but did stay in bounds.
Green Bay challenged and replay overturned it. Smart thing was to fall down as soon as he got the first down. Bad Marion Barber flashbacks from Denver. :oops:

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:38 pm

deejay wrote:
No brainer late in game, when you have a yard and two tries to get it, you don’t throw the darn ball. Everyone new that a 6 point lead would not hold up with Rodgers at qb. People also forget that once again, Howard stepped out of bounds, stopping the clock. He did that last year too. I don’t like continued excuses on why they lose a game that they should have won.
Agree... 2 chances to run ball for 1 yard. Do it!!!!
Not sure if we can blame Howard for stepping outta bonds... wasn’t that the run he turned nothing into something...???

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:13 pm

deejay wrote:
Six points was plenty if Fuller catches the ball.

Ned Schneebly
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Ned Schneebly » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm

I am frustrated with this loss as well and agree there are many things to get cleaned up (I never need to see another pass play to Dion Sims called). However, I'm a firm believer that a new QB in the NFL has to be given 3 seasons to be properly evaluated. Certainly not after the first game in a new system. I'm not going to be too concerned until after Trubisky has had the first 4 games, then the bye week. If he comes out in game 5 & 6 and doesn't show at that point that he is starting to "get" Nagy's offense, then I think some questions can be asked. Nagy himself has said it will take a year in his system to start really executing as he wants. Comparing some recent examples, Dak Prescott was anointed as the next great Cowboys QB after his first year, & year 2 was very average. Jared Goff & Carson Wentz had pedestrian numbers their first years then blossomed in year 2. Deshaun Watson looked good last year (I think he had a one game blip, if I recall) but was bad last week. Point is, game snapshots may not tell the whole story. From what I read, most analysts saw the Bears somewhere between 6-8 wins this year, which I don't think is too far off the mark still. Maybe Khalil Mack's addition keeps them in games & gives them a chance to pick up an extra win or two, but the Bears aren't serious contenders yet. I know many of those same analysts list the Bears o-line as a strength, I don't think they're more than average at best...they need a stud there. Maybe James Daniels becomes that guy soon, pretty sure Eric Kush does not. Replacing Kwitkowski with Smith (sooner rather than later, hopefully) will help the defense...Kwitkowski was really exposed to the league. While the loss to the Packers stings, especially with how it happened, it took an historic effort by maybe one of the top 3 QBs in the history of the NFL to pull it off. I think the arrow is starting to point in the right direction for the Bears, so I'm just looking for improvement and competitiveness this year.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:03 pm

I agree Ned..... if you look at the big picture it’s not so bad. At the same time i understand the frustration and feel it myself!!!!!

I have already said this but any one of 3-4 different plays and we are having a totally different conversation.

Do Nagy, Trubisky and the Bears learn and grow from this or is this John Fox part II...????

tombs14
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by tombs14 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Situations matter - regardless of Trubisky's capabilities.

If you told me before the game started, the Bears would lose 24-23, I wouldn't be surprised, and a bit disappointed they got that close. We might assume Trubisky could have led some better offensive drives.

If you told me before the game, the Bears would have a 20 pt lead after halftime - I would have expected a Bears win, and assumed Trubisky was finding all of the open men, or having a so-so game relying heavily on Cohen/Howard.

Hindsight is 20/20 - this loss *** worse than if Green Bay steadily held the lead throughout the game. It wasn't as if Trubisky was bad, he was good. His men (Sims) couldn't catch the ball, or he was setup with bad situational play calling (3rd & 1), and the 2nd-ary blew a 20pt lead faster than Taco Bell makes its way through our bowels.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Tonight's inactives:

Roquan Smith also starting at ILB tonight.