For the civil discussion of pro sports
GoBirdsGo II
All World
All World

Re: Chicago Bears 2018

Post by GoBirdsGo II » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:22 pm
Anyone who threatens Parkey or his family on social media, etc. should be prosecuted. It is a freaking game!
He'd better hope it's only on social media. I was him, I'd disappear from Chicago for good.

The memes regarding his miss circulating already are hilarious. :lol:
I'm no President Trump fan but thank you sir for your comments in regard to the NFL and those protesting our nations anthem. You were spot on!!!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:59 pm

Staley Da Bear reacting exactly how we Bears fans did:

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:02 pm

I will give my thoughts on today's result but I think I'm gonna need a night to sleep on it.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:23 pm

Where does this loss rate as far as Bears playoff losses? Here is my list from what I perceive as worst first:

1. 2010 NFC Championship game L 21-14 to Green Bay. This will be known as the game that Jay Cutler hurt is knee and Bears fans wound up pining for Caleb Hanie...for why I have no idea. Most disappointing loss to me as not only was it to the rival Packers for the right to go to the Super Bowl but the Bears could have knocked them out in the final game of the season but did not.

2. 1987 Divisional game L 21-17 to Washington. Walter Payton's final game. Bears led 14-0 in the second quarter then did absolutely nothing. With the 49'ers losing the day before the Bears would have hosted the NFC championship game had they won.

3. 2006 Super Bowl L 29-17 to Indianapolis. Bears led 14-6 before, stop me if you have heard this, the offense did nothing for the final three quarters. I will still swear that had the Bears had Tommie Harris and Mike Brown they would have won this game. The defense was never the same without them.

4. 2018 Divisional game L 15-16 to Philadelphia. See earlier posts.

5. 2005 Divisional game L 29-21 to Carolina. The Bears dominated the Panthers at Soldier Field earlier in the season as the defense shut Carolina down. Then in the playoff game the Bears seemingly had no answer for Steve Smith.

6. 1991 Wild Card L 17-13 vs. Dallas. In hindsight this loss is not as bad as it marked Ditka's final playoff team and the Cowboys were a year away from dominating the NFL. But it it notable for Ditka calling a play on the goal line that had not been run in a game for five years. Play got stuffed and the Bears headed into the offseason.

7. 2001 Divisional game L 33-19 to Philadelphia. Like this year the Bears were a new playoff team running into a veteran playoff team. People were looking forward to seeing the Bears defense against the Greatest Show on Turf. Sadly that never happened as the Bears did not realize they had to defend the Eagles to get there.

8. 1988 NFC Championship L 28-3 to San Francisco. Again, not a surprise in hindsight seeing that SF was the much better team. What made it frustrating was the Bears had beat them 10-9 earlier in the year. So the Bear offense not doing much was no surprise. The Bear defense surrendering 28 on a sub zero day at Soldier Field was a shock.

9. 1979 Wild Card L 27-17 at Philadelphia. The Eagles were on the verge of a Super Bowl season and the Bears were playing in what turned out to be Doug Buffone's final game. Bears led at half before the more talented Eagles rallied.

10. 1986 Divisional game L 27-13 to Washington. The 1986 season basically ended for the Bears when Jim McMahon was slammed into the Soldier Field turf by Charles Martin. The clown cars of QBs ended in this game with the newly acquired Doug Flutie taking his shot. Disappointing ending but hardly surprising.

11. 1984 NFC Championship L 23-0 at San Francisco. Bears only trailed 6-0 at halftime before the defense got wore down in the second half. Likely would not have made a difference but I wish Ditka would have allowed Steve Fuller to try to win the game instead of going ultra conservative. All in all a good effort by a young Bears team.

12. 1990 Divisional game L 3-31 at N.Y. Giants. The 49'ers, Giants, and Bears were the top three through the first three months of the season before the Bears faltered down the stretch, which relegated them to the wild card round (where they beat NO). The hope was that the Bears defense could keep them in the game at the Meadowlands. It could not.

13. 1994 NFC Divisional game L 44-15 at San Francisco. Coach Ditka called a Bears win in the pregame. He should have been drug tested on the spot. The game is most memorable for Sean Gayle drilling Steve Young well after Young had crossed the goal line, earning Gayle a personal foul.

14. 1977 NFC Divisional game L 7-37 at Dallas. The Bears were the poster children of a team just happy to be there after an overtime win at the Giants the week before earned them their first playoff bid during the Super Bowl era. The Cowboys went on to be champions and the Bears, well, they were QB's by Bob Avellini.
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Bballnut
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Bballnut » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:15 am

At home, division champs, and against a wildcard team that barely got in(SB Champs aside), this is a game you HAVE to win. Nothing guaranteed next year. In fact, now that they've won, some of these guys who are due contract extensions gonna start grumbling. Happens every year. Everyone thought Vikings were a shoo in after a nice year last year. Nope
The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 am

dogsrus wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:44 pm
Some fans are idiots and Chicago has its fair share.... many left over from the Bartman days.

Bears had this almost sewn up if
not for the hit on the helmet on 4th down....

Any fans booing him....??,

Offense was way to
conservative first half.....
Kyle Long said it best about Parkey, he scored more then half our points and there were other things that happened that also hurt our chances at winning , this loss is on the team.

Uncle Junior

Post by Uncle Junior » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:18 pm

Cody Parkey is in the FBI witness protection program bunking with Steve Bartman and Sammy Sosa. It was safe for Bill Buckner to be finally released into the public about 10 years ago thank goodness. Don Denkinger was also in the program for many years... :batman
I do my best thinking on the bus. That's how come I don't drive. I don't want to know how. I don't want to learn. See? The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Bears better hope Mitch improves, team remains healthy, and defense holds good if Fangio leaves and Nagy has to actually pay attention to the D.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm

So after much reflection, here are my thoughts on this Bears season:

While the loss to the Eagles is obviously a bit disappointing, the season this team had was nothing short of amazing for Bears fans. For a team like this to go 12-4 when most, including myself, probably had them as a 9-7 or 10-6 team even after the trade for Khalil Mack, speaks to how great of a coaching job it was by Nagy and the Bears coaching staff. One of the first things that Nagy and his staff wanted to do was change the culture inside the locker room and it appears that they have not only done that but quite a good job of it. While the playcalling of Nagy was certainly called in question multiple times this season, I feel a lot better about where this team stands on the offensive side of the ball than I have in years. The team still has a young elite defense and an offense that is still improving and can improve more and it would not surprise me to not only see Trubisky but also the running game take a jump in year 2 under Nagy's system.

The Bears do have a lot of key free agents coming up this offseason with guys like Bobby Massie, Aaron Lynch, Bryce Callahan and Adrian Amos out there as unrestricted free agents so it will be interesting to see who they decide to bring back and who they decide to let go. While it would obviously be disappointing to see a guy like Callahan leave given how good a season he had as a slot corner, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a big pay day from another club.

Now next season is not going to be easy, playing a first place schedule which will include games against the AFC West and NFC East along with a road game at the Rams and a home game vs. the Saints. It would not surprise me in the least to see this team be better next year but have a worse record given how tough the schedule will be.

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm

While the loss to the Eagles is obviously a bit disappointing, the season this team had was nothing short of amazing for Bears fans. For a team like this to go 12-4 when most, including myself, probably had them as a 9-7 or 10-6 team even after the trade for Khalil Mack, speaks to how great of a coaching job it was by Nagy and the Bears coaching staff. One of the first things that Nagy and his staff wanted to do was change the culture inside the locker room and it appears that they have not only done that but quite a good job of it. While the playcalling of Nagy was certainly called in question multiple times this season, I feel a lot better about where this team stands on the offensive side of the ball than I have in years. The team still has a young elite defense and an offense that is still improving and can improve more and it would not surprise me to not only see Trubisky but also the running game take a jump in year 2 under Nagy's system.

The Bears do have a lot of key free agents coming up this offseason with guys like Bobby Massie, Aaron Lynch, Bryce Callahan and Adrian Amos out there as unrestricted free agents so it will be interesting to see who they decide to bring back and who they decide to let go. While it would obviously be disappointing to see a guy like Callahan leave given how good a season he had as a slot corner, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a big pay day from another club.

Now next season is not going to be easy, playing a first place schedule which will include games against the AFC West and NFC East along with a road game at the Rams and a home game vs. the Saints. It would not surprise me in the least to see this team be better next year but have a worse record given how tough the schedule will be.
I expect the Bears to be better next season and their record to be just as good, remember 3 of the losses should have been wins against the Packers, Dolphins and Giants.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 pm

Will be curious to see Fangio replacement and impact to the defense.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:26 pm

real fan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm

I expect the Bears to be better next season and their record to be just as good, remember 3 of the losses should have been wins against the Packers, Dolphins and Giants.
True. But the schedule is going to be MUCH more difficult so 12-4 again is probably a pipe dream at this point.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 pm
DB Coach Ed Donatell is probably the best choice assuming he doesn't go with Vic to Denver. Other names I've seen that are currently on the staff include D line coach Jay Rodgers and OLB coach and Brandon Staley. Outside of the organization, I've seen Gregg Williams as a possibility though that likely wouldn't go over well with many in the Chicago sports media.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:29 pm
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
DB Coach Ed Donatell is probably the best choice assuming he doesn't go with Vic to Denver. Other names I've seen that are currently on the staff include D line coach Jay Rodgers and OLB coach and Brandon Staley. Outside of the organization, I've seen Gregg Williams as a possibility though that likely wouldn't go over well with many in the Chicago sports media.
Based on the reported hands off nature Nagy has taken with the D, it may be a risk to choose someone who isn't experienced with putting together the defensive game plan and calling the defense during the game.

quince

Post by quince » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Why would the Chicago sports media have a problem with Gregg Williams?

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:04 pm

quince wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Well Bountygate for one thing.

quince

Post by quince » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:30 am

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:04 pm
quince wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:

Well Bountygate for one thing.
Meh. He’s been employed by other teams since then. I don’t think the Chicago media would give the Bears a rough ride over that.

Just my opinion.

tombs14
All World
All World

Post by tombs14 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Pagano has been hired. They had that in the works.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 pm

tombs14 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:13 pm
Pagano has been hired. They had that in the works.
Makes sense. They needed someone experienced enough to allow Nagy to continue to ignore the defense.

tombs14
All World
All World

Post by tombs14 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 pm

They could have done a ton worse. I like the hire a lot.

quince

Post by quince » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 pm

tombs14 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 pm
I do too. And thank God that the Chicago media won’t have to deal with the scruples of Gregg Williams and his bountygate baggage. Adam Gase wants him, so looks like the New York media will have to deal with it.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:28 pm

quince wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 pm
tombs14 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 pm
I do too. And thank God that the Chicago media won’t have to deal with the scruples of Gregg Williams and his bountygate baggage. Adam Gase wants him, so looks like the New York media will have to deal with it.
I like the hire of Pagano as well.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:11 pm

Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace had their end of season press conference today at Halas Hall:

A lot to take out of this. Some of my initial takeaways:
-They haven't closed the door on Kareem Hunt as a possibility.
-Nagy wasn't thrilled about Parkey appearing on the Today Show.
-There will be an open competition at kicker heading into next season.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Bears will exercise Leonard Floyd's fifth-year option, keeping him in Chicago through the 2020 season.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:14 am

NFL announced international games for next season. Bears will play the Raiders in London, with the game counting as a Raiders home game.