Astros Sanctions

For the civil discussion of pro sports
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Astros Sanctions

Post by Buckeyes1 »

Ludnow and Hinch suspended for a year. Fines 5 million and the Astros lose their top 2 picks both this year and next year :shock:

MLB isn’t playing around
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Astros Sanctions

Post by JMM28 »

I assume Alex Cora is going to get a multiple year suspension too.

I’m impressed that they went this hard. Especially when they didn’t do anything to the Cardinals for hacking an actual system.

ER3
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by ER3 »

JMM28 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:33 pm

I’m impressed that they went this hard. Especially when they didn’t do anything to the Cardinals for hacking an actual system.
The Cardinals lost their top two picks in the 2017 MLB Draft and were fined $2M for Hack-gate...not sure how you could say that MLB "didn't do anything to the Cardinals" for that...

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

And now they've been Fired! WOW.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

ER3 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:46 pm
JMM28 wrote:

The Cardinals lost their top two picks in the 2017 MLB Draft and were fined $2M for Hack-gate...not sure how you could say that MLB "didn't do anything to the Cardinals" for that...
Somewhere Chris Correa is smiling. Of course hacking wasn't right, but you don't think the Astros'/Luhnow stole all of the Cardinals ***????
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

ER3
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by ER3 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:48 pm
ER3 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:46 pm
JMM28 wrote:

Somewhere Chris Correa is smiling. Of course hacking wasn't right, but you don't think the Astros'/Luhnow stole all of the Cardinals ***????
Oh, for sure...

Luhnow and the Astros entire front office/leadership group is (or I guess 'was' at this point) as slimy as it gets...

It was only a matter of time before it caught up with them...but...2 World Series titles in the last three years, so certainly worth it.

ER3
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by ER3 »

Alex Cora getting a call from MLB headquarters in 3....2....1

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan »

Punishments well deserved. I guarantee with technology like it is there are more then likely other teams cheating, just have not been caught. Why couldn"t you have your batters insert a non detectable ear piece and have someone telling them the pitches from a monitor?

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Now the clock starts ticking for Boston.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

With all that, averages are down while HR overall are up. Will be curious if a PED before and after drop will occur now that the teams know the penalty is severe.
Last edited by Redbird CC Fan on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

I found this part interesting. Cora and the players put this together, yet ALL players walk away with no punishment?

The report claims that the witnesses interviewed as part of the investigation "consistently described this scheme as player-driven." But with the exception of Cora, no other non-player staff, including individuals in the video replay review room, had involvement in the sign-stealing.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

soccerforever wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:19 pm
I found this part interesting. Cora and the players put this together, yet ALL players walk away with no punishment?

The report claims that the witnesses interviewed as part of the investigation "consistently described this scheme as player-driven." But with the exception of Cora, no other non-player staff, including individuals in the video replay review room, had involvement in the sign-stealing.
I read The players have protection from the union. It would be a hell of battle to get them in trouble for this.
~Thomas Jefferson

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:26 pm
soccerforever wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:19 pm

I read The players have protection from the union. It would be a hell of battle to get them in trouble for this.
I guess I should of known that. Just seems like something should of happened if it was even minor, but as you pointed out it wouldn’t be worth the time or effort.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

JMM28 wrote:
If he got a lifetime ban, it wouldn't shock me.

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

The more I think about this, the more I think the punishment should have been worse. The 4 draft picks is a killer but you can recover from that and it hurts you more down the line than it does now.
I know it’s never been done in professional sports but the way to punish the players for this would be a post season ban.

Cora deserves a lifetime ban. He did this with two different franchises. I don’t see how what he did is any better than Pete Rose.
"I don't like to do jokes about stereotypes, but we all know basketball players don't swim well." - Daniel Tosh

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:08 am
I know it’s never been done in professional sports but the way to punish the players for this would be a post season ban.
I'm with you here. This seems to be appropriate and goes after the whole entity, instead of the more difficult task of individually identifying every player. This was a team approach - therefore a whole team punishment should apply.

It also gives Free Agents the choice to accept the risk of signing with them knowing they may lose the possibility of playing in October.

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan »

How about banning the team for a year. It would require rescheduling but with today’s computers, not a problem.
#girldad

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

Also seeing reports that the large contingent of Owners are not happy with:
1) Astro's ownership getting off pretty unscathed
2) Being told to keep your mouth shut, or else you'll get punished.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Mike Radigan wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:17 am
How about banning the team for a year. It would require rescheduling but with today’s computers, not a problem.
Doesn't this hurt the guys on the team now who weren't on the team then? I don't see how you could legally do any of this with the protection the players have from the union.
~Thomas Jefferson

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Simple solution to punish an organization, distribute their portion of MLB revenue sharing to other clubs for 5 years.

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

Cora and Sox part ways. See yah.

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

tombs14 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:16 pm
Also seeing reports that the large contingent of Owners are not happy with:
1) Astro's ownership getting off pretty unscathed
2) Being told to keep your mouth shut, or else you'll get punished.
After listening to the scores mlb insiders today it sounds like there were 6-8 teams using technology to cheat, which is a pretty good reason for everyone to keep their mouth shut without being told to do so. It is going to be very interesting over the next few months all the way up to opening day.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

tombs14 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:44 pm
Cora and Sox part ways. See yah.
Red Sox hoping to minimize their punishment by cutting ties beforehand

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Although MLB did not outlaw the use of mechanical means for sign-stealing until 1961, I'm interested in seeing if they're serious about the crackdown if they stop celebrating Bobby Thomson's "Shot".
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Heard an interview on WSCR yesterday. The question to the former player was which would help a hitter more, steroids or knowing what pitch is coming? The answer was knowing the pitch. Guessing we will see 2 things to gauge how truly widespread the video stealing was: 1) HR fall again 2) hitting splits home vs away get closer again.

I don't have the hard data in front of me, but feels like we have a viable reason why home vs. away splits seemed to be so different with the gap widening more recently.