Post by ER3 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:41 pm
ER3 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:03 am

Fake News.

Nolan Arenado has played 516 games outside of Coors Field in his career. His career line on the road: 265/323/476/799. That's not elite level. Not close.
The road splits are concerning to say the least...but when trying to quantify Arenado's true "value", you've got to factor in his defense...he is truly elite there. Getting Matt Carpenter as far away from 3rd base going into next year would be a huge benefit to the overall defensive performance of this team.

I'm not going all in on advocating for this trade...It's almost certainly going to look like an overpay on the Cards' part if/when a trade package gets finalized...but that's what it is going to take to get Colorado to pull the trigger.
For sure. His defense is elite. No doubt. And a lot of guys have negative home/road splits who don't play at Coors. In fact, most guys perform better at home. So that's not a huge deal - just that his is so drastic.

I would include Dakota Hudson, Tyler O'Neill and a pretty good prospect. But that's it.
It's just difficult to see how a deal gets done here, IMO...

Looking at it from Colorado's perspective, they have to win this deal in the court of public opinion...big...if not, they are gonna get destroyed by their fan base and it will be a PR nightmare for them...so they are going to want to the deal to be something like Hudson, O'Neill, Gorman, and Liberatore...with no $$$ going to STL to cover any portion of Arenado's contract...

STL will likely never come close to that package...STL has to assume that they are only getting 2 years of Arenado (if he opts out after 2021)...and they will need to get some sort of salary relief over those two years...so the Cards would want to have someone like Carpenter or Fowler (if they would waive their no trade clause) going back to Colorado in the deal to take some $$$ off the books...So, the Cards might be coming into this deal offering something like Hudson, Carpenter, O'Neill, and Knizner...

The Rockies would have little desire to take one of those bad contracts back in return...especially if they aren't getting top prospects (Carlson, Gorman, Liberatore) in the deal...so we'd have a pretty big chasm between the two proposals to bridge...just don't see how it gets done...

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2020

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Couple bits of Cardinals news yesterday:

-Marcell Ozuna to the Braves on a one-year deal
-Cardinals great Larry Walker elected to the Hall of Fame

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Matt Wieters re-signed by the Cardinals. 1 year, $2 million.

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:55 pm

Yes, the 144 games played on St. Louis great Larry Walker. :roll:

Oskee
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Oskee »

tombs14 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:13 am
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:

Walker won't be remembered as a Cardinal, but he was a key guy on a pair of 100 win teams. The organization thought enough of his contributions in '04 & '05 to award him a ring after '06.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

tombs14 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:13 am
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:

It was meant as a joke. He'll be remembered as a St. Louis sports great among others like Blues greats Wayne Gretzky and Martin Brodeur.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Cardinals have announced their candidates for this year's Cardinals Hall of Fame class: https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/fans/hof-vote

The candidates are:
-Steve Carlton
-Keith Hernandez
-Tommy Herr
-Matt Morris
-Edgar Renteria
-Lee Smith
-John Tudor

The two players with the highest votes will be elected. Voting begins on March 1st and will conclude on April 17th.

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

That signing seems like a yawner. Its obvious that the Cardinals were committed to sitting still this off season even though they were often rumored or linked to several big time deals. They did make some low level moves, including this one. I have been a huge critic of the front office the past several years, but this Miller signing and the other off season low level moves, all make sense to me and I think we will see the fruits of that one way or the other. I am ready for some baseball soon

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Mikolas set to miss as much as the first month of the season after getting a PRP injection to help in the recovery of a flexor tendon issue he is having in his arm. He will not throw for at least 3-4 weeks and then will be re-evaluated to determine if he can begin a throwing program that would eventually ramp up to going through minor league spring training before returning to the rotation.

This news opens up another spot for either Carlos Martinez or Kwang-Hyun Kim, who had already been competing for the 5th starter's spot, as well as guys like John Gant, Ryan Helsley, Genesis Cabrera, Daniel Ponce de Leon, Austin Gomber, or even perhaps Alex Reyes. Though many of those latter names I mentioned such as Gant, Helsley, Cabrera, and Reyes would be guys that would be starters for the short term before being used in the bullpen over the remainder of the season.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 am
Mikolas set to miss as much as the first month of the season after getting a PRP injection to help in the recovery of a flexor tendon issue he is having in his arm. He will not throw for at least 3-4 weeks and then will be re-evaluated to determine if he can begin a throwing program that would eventually ramp up to going through minor league spring training before returning to the rotation.

This news opens up another spot for either Carlos Martinez or Kwang-Hyun Kim, who had already been competing for the 5th starter's spot, as well as guys like John Gant, Ryan Helsley, Genesis Cabrera, Daniel Ponce de Leon, Austin Gomber, or even perhaps Alex Reyes. Though many of those latter names I mentioned such as Gant, Helsley, Cabrera, and Reyes would be guys that would be starters for the short term before being used in the bullpen over the remainder of the season.
Odds that Mikolas ends up with Tommy John surgery?
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

While I could see that as a possibility, the team seemed to be encouraged by the MRI when they compared the pictures between then and those that were taken last fall.

And yes, we all know how things like this usually tend to work out with the Cardinals medical team.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

In news that will absolutely surprise no one, Flaherty has been named the opening day starter for the Cardinals.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Bit of a bizarre story coming out of Jupiter. Reserve IF/OF Yairo Munoz, who was scheduled to get an exam on a hamstring injury he suffered earlier this week, decided to fly back to his home in the Dominican Republic without informing the team that he was going to do so. So after he no-showed the exam, the team decided to release him this morning.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Cardinals radio and TV are doing their best to bridge the gap in content during this time. KMOX will air every game from the Cardinals miracle run in 2011 starting from the August 25th game when they were 10.5 games back all the way through game 7 of the World Series (which totals up to 50 games). Though I haven't seen a date as to when they're starting this, they will have a pregame show every day which will start at 6:15 PM Monday-Friday, 6:00 PM on Saturday, and Noon on Sunday.

Fox Sports Midwest will be playing select games from the 2019 season starting tonight and off and on over the next 10 days. The game they are showing tonight is the September comeback against the Cubs at Wrigley when Molina and DeJong hit back to back home runs in the 9th off Kimbrel.

Cappy

Post by Cappy »

I come from a large family and our house was the neighborhood house where kids hung out all the time. My mother was completely indulgent and tolerated everybody. It was a different world and I remember it fondly. Following the 1964 season, truly an impressive August -September comeback for the redbirds (no playoffs), the club put out a 78 rpm disc, the cardinals drive to the pennant. My mom let us use dad's good record player. So help me God, it was as big as a steamer trunk and all it was was a record player and an am-fm radio. I can still see my older brother and half a dozen other kids stinking up the house after some Indian ball, drinking kool-aid and hanging on Harry caray's every word. And it was probably the 10,000th time they'd heard it. Man they wore that thing out. That memory takes me back to dog days. That's the last half of August when school didn't start til after labor day. Okay grampa has to go have his nap now.

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

Cappy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:56 am
I come from a large family and our house was the neighborhood house where kids hung out all the time. My mother was completely indulgent and tolerated everybody. It was a different world and I remember it fondly. Following the 1964 season, truly an impressive August -September comeback for the redbirds (no playoffs), the club put out a 78 rpm disc, the cardinals drive to the pennant. My mom let us use dad's good record player. So help me God, it was as big as a steamer trunk and all it was was a record player and an am-fm radio. I can still see my older brother and half a dozen other kids stinking up the house after some Indian ball, drinking kool-aid and hanging on Harry caray's every word. And it was probably the 10,000th time they'd heard it. Man they wore that thing out. That memory takes me back to dog days. That's the last half of August when school didn't start til after labor day. Okay grampa has to go have his nap now.
"The Cardinals win the penant, the Cardinals win the penant. the Cardinals win the penant, Holy Cow, the Cardinals win the penant"
Everybodys hugging everybody

We had that record as well.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Happy (original) Opening Day everyone!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

London series has officially been cancelled: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11260744 ... ronavirus/

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Jim Edmonds has been tested for Coronavirus.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

With tomorrow originally scheduled as the Cardinals home opener, the Cardinals are doing something to help fans commemorate the day with something to replace it: https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/fans/stay ... 1203492993

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:40 pm
Jim Edmonds has been tested for Coronavirus.
Edmonds did test positive but is saying he's now doing really well.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Would any of you all potentially be in favor of a scenario like this for a baseball season?:

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:59 pm
Would any of you all potentially be in favor of a scenario like this for a baseball season?:
"Any" of us "all" ..potentially?

Did you mean to ask, "Would any of you be in favor of this?" or "Would all of you be in favor of this?". And why the word potentially unless you meant would we be in favor of this as a potential scenario, if so you completely misused the word. Amazing that in such a short sentence, you made so many mistakes. Unless you really are a bot, then its understandable