All Universe
All Universe

Re: Chicago Cubs 2017

Post by squirrel »

Reggie wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:18 pm
Mike Radigan wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:28 pm
Schwarber should have run to the ball and waited for it rather than drift over and meet the ball as it got there.
This made an excellent teaching point for my junior high daughter who is an outfielder. She got to see first hand what I have been harping on her to do!
While I agree, generally, that was during a period of the game when several fielders were having difficulty reading pop flies. If he darts and it plays the way he initially reads it, it's still probably a triple. If he catches it, which he nearly did, it's an out. If he plays it right off the wall, it's probably only a double.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Rain all day today and tonight. Not good for Cubs.
go cubs go!

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

[/quote] Count me as one of them. It would take up to 3 more severely disappointing years before I'm convinced. He is the exception for offense alone. I still believe his bat proves true over the long term.
[/quote]

So 3 more severely disappointing years? Does that mean this year was severely disappointing to you? Obviously this is all just opinions but I do try to understand the love. In his short career he has struck out 35% of the time, hit a HR .069 % of the time, gotten on base 33% of the time.

But if he were a DH, Among all A.L everyday D.H His numbers this year would put him first in Ks, second to last in B.A, near the top for HR near the bottom for RBI, and right in the fold for OBP. A lot of the DH are veteran everyday players who are in the twilight of their careers and made the conversion from being either good to adequate in the field early in their careers. Some are guys that were never good defensively. IMO Schwarber isn't even a good DH candidate let alone an adequate every day or platoon MLB player
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Yes. He is absolutely better than what he showed this season. But he still has a career OPS of .800. It's easy to frame him in a DH role, but he is still a .989 fielder.

He was drafted as the best college bat, which I interprit as mature. I think overall, despite struggling this season, he has the bat with plus power. The last month of the season he hit .286 and had an OPS of 1.013. He is still only 24 and will not have yet played an entire MLB season.

I know he doesn't fit the standard idea of a valuable player in the NL, but throwing him under the bus at this point is just absurd. There is a reason the Cubs have invested so much time and energy on him. And I certainly trust Cubs management at this point moreso than fans.

And note that more Cardinals people want him as an AL DH than Cubs fans. That tells me he is feared.

It's no different than I was perfectly happy with the Cubs picking up Heyward or years before that, Pujols, to ship them to the AL West. I get it.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

squirrel wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 am

And note that more Cardinals people want him as an AL DH than Cubs fans. That tells me he is feared.
What about those of us that just want the NL to adopt the DH? :D :D
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

I don't get too much involved in the whole Cub Card thing, I'm speaking as a baseball fan. Again, opinions. Even though I am a Cardinal fan, I do like a lot about the Cubs including a lot of their players. Schwarber isn't one of them.

And for the record, I don't want the DH in the N.L/

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:46 am
squirrel wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 am

What about those of us that just want the NL to adopt the DH? :D :D
Are super smart baseball people.

And for whatever it's worth, the way the schedule is right now, NL teams can afford to carry a DH-type.

If you watch what MLB is doing, they are slowly modifying the schedule-a ton of 4-game and 2-game series next year.

I think ultimately they want to move in the direction of a shorter regular season schedule.

I also think there will be a point when the league moves to 32 teams, with 8 4-team divisions, and goes to a 6 or 8-team playoff. I believe at that point there will be perhaps either radical realignment or a schedule scheme where everyone plays everyone at least once, with the balance of your games in your division, and uniform adoption of the DH.

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan »

Due to the weather forecast, the Cubs game has been moved up to 4:38.
#girldad

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Mike Radigan wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:13 am
Due to the weather forecast, the Cubs game has been moved up to 4:38.
I believe it was always scheduled for 4:38. There was talk about moving it up a few hours but TV execs said no. I know the Nats would love today to be rained out.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

If today is rained out, I think the Nats clearly go back to Strasburg. But do the Cubs skip Jake and go back to Hendricks?

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

JMM28 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:41 am
If today is rained out, I think the Nats clearly go back to Strasburg. But do the Cubs skip Jake and go back to Hendricks?
GREAT question! Jake said this morning that this could be his last Cubs start, so if he feels that way the Cubs can just move it up a start. ;)
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

According to 670, both teams requested that game be moved up due to rain forecast. However MLB said major sponsors said NO. Guess who really controls the games??
go cubs go!

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

If it's the rain we're seeing now, they'll play in it and through it. I've seen them keep playing through worse rains in April.

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

squirrel wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:36 pm
If it's the rain we're seeing now, they'll play in it and through it. I've seen them keep playing through worse rains in April.
Looking at the radar it looks like it will start raining around the time of first pitch. I agree they have played through worse but will they? Hoping Schwarber, Russell or Baez goes deep tonight. Need someone to step up to help Rizzo and Bryant. Any chance Jake continues to put up zeros like our other starters?
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Listening to the interview just now with Torre I am guessing they cancel tonight. Really hoping they don't!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Did Torre give any reason as to why they didn't start at 1. It would have been over!!
go cubs go!

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan »

Postponed to tomorrow at 4.
#girldad

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation »

Dusty says he's starting Roark instead of Strasburg tomorrow.

DUSTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

cpacmel
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by cpacmel »

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm
Dusty says he's starting Roark instead of Strasburg tomorrow.

DUSTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 »

Dusty loves fighting boogeymen. This year - mold!

cpacmel
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by cpacmel »

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan »

To me it makes no sense to pitch Strasburg against Arrieta since the Nats must win two. If it was just one game then yes but it’s not. If it was me I would want Strasburg against Hendricks.
#girldad

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 »

Mike Radigan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:05 am
To me it makes no sense to pitch Strasburg against Arrieta since the Nats must win two. If it was just one game then yes but it’s not. If it was me I would want Strasburg against Hendricks.
But you HAVE to win to even force the 2nd game. Wouldnt you want your best arm in there for an elimination game? Its not like its on short rest either, with the weather delay this is being played on normal rest for him. I told my dad last night that I will believe Roark is pitching when I see him on the mound in the 1st inning. With the report though that Strasburg declined the opportunity, it shows me that he didnt REALLY want the ball so now he has a built in excuse that he was pressured to pitch now. It makes him look even worse when Max Scherzer supposedly barged into Dustys office to tell him he could probably go an inning and he is on essentially 1 day of rest.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

Mike Radigan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:05 am
You do know they have to win the first to even have the second game? Tell me you hadn't yet had your coffee Mike :)

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

In regards to getting to game 5 for the Nats - the argument goes 2 different directions if we're talking about 1) Rushing a trully ill Strasburg off an extra day of rest vs 2) A well rested healthy Strasburg in game 4.