Astros temporary home: Tropicana Field

For the civil discussion of pro sports
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Astros temporary home: Tropicana Field

Post by squirrel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 pm

It has been announced officially by the league today that the Astros-Rangers series that begins tomorrow will take place as scheduled, except at Tropicana Field, with the Astros maintaining home team privileges.

Astros ownership has committed $4M to Harvey relief, and MLB and the MLBPA have committed $1M to relief.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/251073866 ... -to-storm/

Interestingly, they are the first games moved for catastrophe-related reasons since the Cubs-Astros series in 2008 which was played in Miller Park due to Hurricane Ike, where Carlos Zambrano pitched a no-hitter.

However, there have been 9 MLB regular season games played at alternate/neutral sites between the two series at various places such as Williamsport, PA; Fort Bragg, Tokyo, Sydney and San Juan, PR.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Astros temporary home: Tropicana Field

Post by pndbaseball12 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:57 am

Interesting nugget about this that gives the Rangers a bit of a black eye: Houston's owner asked the Rangers if they just wanted to swap series since Houston was going up to Arlington later in September. I.E, the Rangers would have this as their home series then when the Astros were supposed to come to Arlington, Texas would go to Houston instead. One report stated, in the Rangers defense, that the Rangers offered the Astros to be the "home" team in Arlington and would give all revenue for the series to the Astros.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

cpacmel
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by cpacmel » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 pm

The more I think about this , the more I wish they would have thought outside the box on the location for this series. Would have been fun to see this series at a minor league venue, like Oklahoma City or Frisco. Give some fans a chance to see big leaguers play who don't normally get the chance.

I understand the reasoning behind Tampa Bay. But their own fans don't come out for Rays games...

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 pm

cpacmel wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 pm
The more I think about this , the more I wish they would have thought outside the box on the location for this series. Would have been fun to see this series at a minor league venue, like Oklahoma City or Frisco. Give some fans a chance to see big leaguers play who don't normally get the chance.

I understand the reasoning behind Tampa Bay. But their own fans don't come out for Rays games...
Agreed. I like your idea.
“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:20 pm

cpacmel wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 pm

What if this series were to actually outdraw the Rays? Probably won't, but who knows. Wouldn't that be embarrassing?
"The Pack Leader"

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:22 pm

The thing that surprises me the most about the Tampa selection is it makes the team's and MLB's case that the city needs a more suitable stadium harder to make.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

PH
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by PH » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:54 pm

squirrel wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:22 pm
The thing that surprises me the most about the Tampa selection is it makes the team's and MLB's case that the city needs a more suitable stadium harder to make.
Despite its lack of atmosphere, It is a domed MLB stadium (guaranteed to not further complicate scheduling with rain outs)

Distance wise, isn't it basically Tampa, Phoenix or Milwaukee as "closest" to Houston?

cpacmel
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by cpacmel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Mlb is all over the place now.

Tampa Bay is the home team vs the Yankees at CiTi Field (mets).

And now the Brewers game that was to be played in Miami is now going to be in Milwaukee.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/br ... FB_CHBrand