Brewers get 3 more home games

For the civil discussion of pro sports
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Brewers get 3 more home games

Post by deejay » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks to MLB, the Brewers now get to play the Marlin series at home. I am sure the Cubs and Cards were ask their opinion.
go cubs go!

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Brewers get 3 more home games

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:02 pm

deejay wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 pm
Thanks to MLB, the Brewers now get to play the Marlin series at home. I am sure the Cubs and Cards were ask their opinion.
You have any better options for where the series could be played given the circumstances?

cpacmel
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by cpacmel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:02 pm
deejay wrote:
You have any better options for where the series could be played given the circumstances?
St. Louis, Kansas City, Baltimore, pretty much any team not at home this weekend.

Best option for Texas at Houston was Tampa Bay but the best option for yanks at Tampa was @ mets?

MLB is all over the place here. Giving the Brewers 3 more home games isn't right. Play the game in St. Louis or Kansas City.

Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:47 pm

cpacmel wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
deejay wrote:
St. Louis, Kansas City, Baltimore, pretty much any team not at home this weekend.

Best option for Texas at Houston was Tampa Bay but the best option for yanks at Tampa was @ mets?

MLB is all over the place here. Giving the Brewers 3 more home games isn't right. Play the game in St. Louis or Kansas City.
MLB needs to have something set in stone where they either default games in these situations to neutral fields or allow them to be played at the opponents' field. Their inconsistency gives credence to those who believe something fishy is going on (with all due respect to the Marlins).
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:13 pm

cpacmel wrote:
Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
deejay wrote:

Regarding the Yankees-Rays series, the Yankees actually offered to swap the remaining series between the clubs but the Rays declined. How they came to decide Citi Field, I'm not sure other than perhaps Yankee Stadium was going to be unavailable.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a certain team on the northside of Chicago that played a "road" series against Houston some years back in Milwaukee?

jim beam
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by jim beam » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:14 am

But wont the Marlins be the Home team...so there's that
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:06 am

jim beam wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:14 am
I think way too big a deal is made of this.
“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

cpacmel
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by cpacmel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:59 am

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Regarding the Yankees-Rays series, the Yankees actually offered to swap the remaining series between the clubs but the Rays declined. How they came to decide Citi Field, I'm not sure other than perhaps Yankee Stadium was going to be unavailable.
I haven't read any links that said a swap of dates was offered up.

Did read that Baltimore and Chicago (WS) were discussed but they were worried about hotels not being available. Which is weird because Chicago has plenty of hotels available.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a certain team on the northside of Chicago that played a "road" series against Houston some years back in Milwaukee?
Yeap they did. Was considered a neutral site. Why not play Milwaukee at Miami @ Guaranteed Rate in Chicago? White sox are on the road after all.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 am

This is not fair to any contender, whether it be division or wild card. Anywhere other than home field would have been acceptable. Isn't Bud Selig's daughter still running the Brewers? Perhaps a little intervention here? This stuff about limiting seating is plain absurd. MLB is instituting NASCAR rule of making up things as they go.
go cubs go!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:08 am

deejay wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 am
This is not fair to any contender, whether it be division or wild card. Anywhere other than home field would have been acceptable. Isn't Bud Selig's daughter still running the Brewers? Perhaps a little intervention here?
Mark Attanasio is the Brewers owner. Bud Selig's daughter is not running the team.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:06 am
jim beam wrote:
So a team playing in a pennant chase getting 3 more home games against a mediocre opponent is "no big deal"?
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

cpacmel
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by cpacmel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:54 am

Brewers are 41-33 at home vs 36-36 on the road

Miami is 36-35 at home vs 32-42 on the road

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:14 pm

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:13 pm
cpacmel wrote:

Although Milwaukee is basically "Chicago North", the series was not played AT Wrigley Field. Cubs fans are everywhere, so its a moot point to argue that series as it would have been a defacto cubs home game no matter where they played. This series is LITERALLY in the home ballpark of the team that was supposed to be the visitors.

List of teams away from home this weekend: Baltimore, Kansas City, Arizona, Texas, San Diego, Toronto, Seattle, NY Mets, Pittsburgh, Chicago White Sox, Boston, LA Dodgers, Oakland, St. Louis.

I get you can eliminate the west coast teams right off the bat, so that trims the list to 9: Baltimore, KC, Texas, Toronto, NY Mets, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, and St. Louis.

Going a step further, NFL home games this weekend on this list: Pittsburgh, Baltimore, KC. So that trims the list to 6 different cities that could be used: Texas, Toronto, NY(didnt include this on the list of NFL games because its freaking NY), Chicago, Boston, St. Louis.

The Marlins were in Philly for this most recent trip and the Brewers were already at home, with today being an off day for them and the Marlins playing tonight. So there's ANOTHER advantage the Brewers have.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 pm

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:06 am
jim beam wrote:
So a team playing in a pennant chase getting 3 more home games against a mediocre opponent is "no big deal"?
Miami will be the home team for the game and get the last at bat. I also don't think there were a lot of options. This one made sense so do it. Hurricanes ***.

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:00 pm

The Cubs had just gotten special permission from the city and I think MLB to move a Friday day game into what I believe was their first ever Friday night home game. Why? So they had more time to rest after playing a Thursday night road game. Who was their opponent? The Brewers! What did the Cubs do? Got swept. So, a) home field isn't necessarily going to help the Brewers either and b) take care of business at home and all this is a moot point.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

tombs14
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by tombs14 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:00 pm
The Cubs had just gotten special permission from the city and I think MLB to move a Friday day game into what I believe was their first ever Friday night home game. Why? So they had more time to rest after playing a Thursday night road game. Who was their opponent? The Brewers! What did the Cubs do? Got swept. So, a) home field isn't necessarily going to help the Brewers either and b) take care of business at home and all this is a moot point.
Rest vs Home Field advantage are 2 separate talking points. Using 1 to justify or compare to the other is absurd.

JMM28
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by JMM28 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:12 pm

I am just really surprised the major leagues don't have a contingency process in place for things like that. It doesn't happen every year, but it happens enough. Maybe they do, but these things always seem really inconsistent and full of question.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Redbird CC Fan wrote:
See cpacmel's post above. The Brewers are just at .500 away from Miller Park and are 7 games over at home. They obviously play better at home than road.

Yes Miami will be the "home" team but the environment in the stadium will clearly be a home game for the Brewers.

Heck, thinking outside the box you could even play it in a AAA stadium. I feel like a weekend series due to extenuating circumstances could be dealt with. Buffalo's AAA stadium seats close to 18,000. Indianapolis seats 14K, Louisville 13K. Memphis, Charlotte, Nashville, etc. Would be a cool thing for fans in those areas to see an MLB game.
-Tommy Lasorda

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:35 pm

tombs14 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:53 pm
Redbird CC Fan wrote:
Rest vs Home Field advantage are 2 separate talking points. Using 1 to justify or compare to the other is absurd.
The Cubs were in complete control of their own destiny up 5 games, whined and switched times of a game even (which was meant to give them an advantage against the Brewers), then promptly crapped the bed and got swept at home to make the division tight again. If the Cubs had taken care of business, even if the Brewers got what statically might be a 1 game advantage (win 2 of 3 maybe instead), it wouldn't matter.

Playing games in AAA parks as a contingency would be silly. TV, fan base, seating, parking, concessions, just doesn't work. Clearly other scenarios for MLB parks didn't work, so this was the solution.

Based on the angst of Cub fans on this thread, if the Cubs lose the division to the Brewers, this will be used as the excuse. Maddon didn't have a problem with it when asked, so what's the big deal?
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 pm

My reaction to seeing this thread actually gain legs:

That's enough, Reggie Miller.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:38 pm

You are correct. He was outmanaged the entire series. Counsel had his 3 best pitchers set up for the series. Note that Cardinals are doing the same. We controlled our own destiny, same as this weekend. Hopefully we find a way to win ugly tonight and put the right guys on the field this weekend. It's time to quit screwing with the lineup and go with guys that got you there.
go cubs go!

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:42 pm

deejay wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:38 pm
You are correct. He was outmanaged the entire series. Counsel had his 3 best pitchers set up for the series. Note that Cardinals are doing the same. We controlled our own destiny, same as this weekend. Hopefully we find a way to win ugly tonight and put the right guys on the field this weekend. It's time to quit screwing with the lineup and go with guys that got you there.
The Cardinals three best pitchers aren't going this weekend. #1, #3 and #4 are.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:42 pm
deejay wrote:
Who is their #2 then in your opinion? :? Wainright? Both Lynn and Wacha have better stats than Wainright. I would call either one of them the 2 over Wainright, no matter what the rotation order is.
-Tommy Lasorda

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:53 am

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
deejay wrote:
Who is their #2 then in your opinion? :? Wainright? Both Lynn and Wacha have better stats than Wainright. I would call either one of them the 2 over Wainright, no matter what the rotation order is.
Luke Weaver. Hes actually been the teams best starter since he joined the rotation full time. 6-1, 1.89 ERA, 2.57 FIP, 1.028 WHIP, 11 K/9 and 5.27 K/BB ratio.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:23 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:53 am
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 am
tribecalledquest wrote:

Luke Weaver. Hes actually been the teams best starter since he joined the rotation full time. 6-1, 1.89 ERA, 2.57 FIP, 1.028 WHIP, 11 K/9 and 5.27 K/BB ratio.
That makes more sense. I was talking to a coworker and was a little surprised St. Louis didnt set up the rotation for Weaver to pitch in Chicago.
-Tommy Lasorda