Chicago Cubs 2019

For the civil discussion of pro sports
User avatar
jim beam
All World
All World
Posts: 3029
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:38 pm

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by jim beam » Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 am

Nick in the AM: What's going on with Ben Zobrist might be longstanding https://www.pjstar.com/news/20190509/ni ... ngstanding
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

User avatar
tombs14
All World
All World
Posts: 3218
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Peoria County

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by tombs14 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:32 am

Was getting ready to post the same article JB.

I also don't want to speculate - but I hope he gets all of the time and help needed for any personal/family issues. I'm sure in due time, if he feels its necessary to comment, he will.

User avatar
jim beam
All World
All World
Posts: 3029
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:38 pm

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by jim beam » Thu May 09, 2019 10:15 am

Speculation amongst fans is harmless. Media speculation is another animal. I am a big fan of Zobrist, but Im a Cardinal fan, so I don't really follow the Cubs that much. But could this have anything to do with Russell rejoining the team or is it clearly a family personal thing. I haven't looked at anything other than this article I posted.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

User avatar
tombs14
All World
All World
Posts: 3218
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Peoria County

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by tombs14 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:52 am

jim beam wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:15 am
Speculation amongst fans is harmless. Media speculation is another animal. I am a big fan of Zobrist, but Im a Cardinal fan, so I don't really follow the Cubs that much. But could this have anything to do with Russell rejoining the team or is it clearly a family personal thing. I haven't looked at anything other than this article I posted.
Hearing family - I can't confirm myself, but I saw a comment or article from someone who said Ben's wife removed all pictures of Ben off of her Social media accounts. No Bueno.

bigtime54
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 am

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by bigtime54 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:37 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:41 am
Hendricks was at 96 pitches and the middle of the lineup coming up again. It’s reasonable to take him out of the game there.
He also had just cruised through the bottom of the 8th on 6 pitches, and only threw 81 last time out. IMO, he deserved a shot to post back to back complete games.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5173
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by deejay » Fri May 10, 2019 3:29 pm

I love Javier Baez, but pitchers continue to throw the outside and in the dirt pitch and he continues to swing at it. Until he can stay away from that pitch he just can’t be the MVP that people continue to call for. He needs to be a more disciplined hitter.
go cubs go!

User avatar
jim beam
All World
All World
Posts: 3029
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:38 pm

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by jim beam » Sat May 11, 2019 7:56 am

deejay wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:29 pm
I love Javier Baez, but pitchers continue to throw the outside and in the dirt pitch and he continues to swing at it. Until he can stay away from that pitch he just can’t be the MVP that people continue to call for. He needs to be a more disciplined hitter.
Sure he can. Sometimes it seems like you don't understand baseball. Some pitchers are good at what they do. Just because a hitter chases doesn't mean hes un disciplined, it means he got bested..
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5173
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by deejay » Sat May 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Yep, I just don’t understand baseball. Lead run on second and Javier swings at three not even in strike zone. The pitcher threw every pitch low and away. Again, I love Baez, but I think that he tries to carry the team when he just needs to play within himself.
Last edited by deejay on Sat May 11, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
go cubs go!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5173
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by deejay » Sat May 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Everyone thought Javey’s ball was gone. Interesting strategy would have been to pinch hit for Chatwood with bases loaded and try to win game. Surprised Joe didn’t pull the strings and risk not having a pitcher. That would have been Joe’s way.
go cubs go!

User avatar
tombs14
All World
All World
Posts: 3218
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Peoria County

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by tombs14 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:37 pm

This team needs to learn how to play small ball. Nobody wanted to hit today.

User avatar
tombs14
All World
All World
Posts: 3218
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Peoria County

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by tombs14 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Chatwood has been invaluable this year. Amazing turnaround compared to last year.

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 31278
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by squirrel » Sun May 12, 2019 10:59 am

tombs14 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:56 pm
Chatwood has been invaluable this year. Amazing turnaround compared to last year.
Getting Chatwood sorted out would be huge. Really happy for him to get that strikeout at that moment yesterday.

Also, this was a good Mother's Day post by the Cubs :lol:

"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11797
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 am

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by soccerforever » Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Lester now has a 1.16 ERA. :shock: :shock: I know I post it often but what an honor it has been to see him pitch for the Cubs. Many thought this would be the start of the years the Cubs would eat of his contract because of age. Greatest free agent signing all time for the Cubs and there is a club option I never thought was possible to be picked up but maybe he can go 7 years strong.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

User avatar
tombs14
All World
All World
Posts: 3218
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Peoria County

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by tombs14 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:22 pm

soccerforever wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 pm
Lester now has a 1.16 ERA. :shock: :shock: I know I post it often but what an honor it has been to see him pitch for the Cubs. Many thought this would be the start of the years the Cubs would eat of his contract because of age. Greatest free agent signing all time for the Cubs and there is a club option I never thought was possible to be picked up but maybe he can go 7 years strong.
Spoiled, we have been.

User avatar
dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11559
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by dogsrus » Sun May 12, 2019 10:04 pm

soccerforever wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 pm
Lester now has a 1.16 ERA. :shock: :shock: I know I post it often but what an honor it has been to see him pitch for the Cubs. Many thought this would be the start of the years the Cubs would eat of his contract because of age. Greatest free agent signing all time for the Cubs and there is a club option I never thought was possible to be picked up but maybe he can go 7 years strong.
And if we ever needed a strong outing today was it after 15 Saturday.....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5173
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by deejay » Mon May 13, 2019 10:23 am

That was a big time gutsy performance by Lester. The Bryant homer was huge. Not sure our bullpen could have held a one run lead after the 15 inning game.
go cubs go!

PH
All World
All World
Posts: 3177
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:58 am

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by PH » Tue May 14, 2019 2:37 pm

I’m sure the Cubs will find a way to adjust the order, but current rotations project a Monday Darvish vs Arrieta matchup.

User avatar
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 11797
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 am

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by soccerforever » Tue May 14, 2019 4:50 pm

PH wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:37 pm
I’m sure the Cubs will find a way to adjust the order, but current rotations project a Monday Darvish vs Arrieta matchup.

and I will be at that game.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

User avatar
tombs14
All World
All World
Posts: 3218
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Peoria County

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by tombs14 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 am

jim beam wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 am
Nick in the AM: What's going on with Ben Zobrist might be longstanding https://www.pjstar.com/news/20190509/ni ... ngstanding
His wife has filed for divorce in Cook County. Sad.

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 31278
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by squirrel » Wed May 15, 2019 12:22 pm

tombs14 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 am
jim beam wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 am
Nick in the AM: What's going on with Ben Zobrist might be longstanding https://www.pjstar.com/news/20190509/ni ... ngstanding
His wife has filed for divorce in Cook County. Sad.
Bummer. I'm sure it's a difficult time for them both right now. Sandberg was a wreck the year he went through his divorce, but then he bounced back with the arguably best of year of his career (to that point) and was even better the next year. But he was also 10 years younger than Zobrist is right now.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5173
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by deejay » Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm

Zobrist filed first, claiming she cheated on him. It was worded differently but that was the jest of it. A day later she filed. She also hired a high profile lawyer. Looks like it’s game on.
go cubs go!

deejay
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 5173
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Location: Morton, Illinois

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by deejay » Wed May 15, 2019 9:18 pm

We sure could use Ben in the lineup. Using Heyward in the lead off spot is not working. He is batting less that .100 in his last 50 at bats. Average down to .243.
go cubs go!

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 21379
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed May 15, 2019 10:16 pm

deejay wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm
Zobrist filed first, claiming she cheated on him. It was worded differently but that was the jest of it. A day later she filed. She also hired a high profile lawyer. Looks like it’s game on.
This will be ugly unfortunately.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 31278
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: Peoria, IL

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by squirrel » Thu May 16, 2019 10:12 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:16 pm
deejay wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm
Zobrist filed first, claiming she cheated on him. It was worded differently but that was the jest of it. A day later she filed. She also hired a high profile lawyer. Looks like it’s game on.
This will be ugly unfortunately.
Probably, but really, it should have zero impact on anyone else's lives outside their family. It's sad and unfortunate for both of them, but it really should be a private matter.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

User avatar
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe
Posts: 21379
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Chicago Cubs 2019

Post by tribecalledquest » Thu May 16, 2019 10:35 am

squirrel wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:12 am
tribecalledquest wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:16 pm
deejay wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm
Zobrist filed first, claiming she cheated on him. It was worded differently but that was the jest of it. A day later she filed. She also hired a high profile lawyer. Looks like it’s game on.
This will be ugly unfortunately.
Probably, but really, it should have zero impact on anyone else's lives outside their family. It's sad and unfortunate for both of them, but it really should be a private matter.
Agreed 100%
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JMM28 and 8 guests