St. Louis Cardinals 2020

For the civil discussion of pro sports
Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

St. Louis Cardinals 2020

Post by Mike Radigan »

2019 season is over. Time for a new thread.
#girldad

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Re: St. Louis Cardinals 2020

Post by jim beam »

I am sure we are going to hear plenty of the "this group was one step away from the World Series" from management. And while that is true, that team also has some huge holes. First is the need for at least one top level starting pitcher. I do not think the Cardinals are going to be in the mix, simply because they don't spend like some other teams, and I am usually ok with that. ( even though they have the money). I don't know who I want, but we need a good one. We also need A bona fide closer. And again, as Ive been saying for about 4 years we need a 3b that can produce runs. I would love Rendon, but see above. I would gladly settle for Donaldson or Moustakis. Because of Carps contract, he has to play and I think 2b would be his best spot ( its where he started). I like Wong, but he is one our viable trade pieces along with JMart/ CMart/ Bader/ONeill/ and a host of prospects. I don't think Waino is coming back, Wacha is gone. I doubt we sign Ozuna. Its actually kind of a miracle that we made it to as far as we did, its a pretty crappy team.
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

ER3
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by ER3 »

jim beam wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:27 am
Because of Carps contract, he has to play and I think 2b would be his best spot ( its where he started).
Actually...because of Carp's contract, he absolutely should not be played as a regular over the next two years...he has 2 guaranteed years remaining on his albatross of a contract...but that third year (2022) becomes guaranteed at $18.5M if he gets to 1100 plate appearances combined in 2020 and 2021...If the Cards are smart and make sure that he stays under 1100 PAs over the next two years, they can get out from underneath that contract a year early...

The next two years of his contract are $$$ that are already lost...don't compound the problem by trotting him out there everyday because you feel like you have an obligation to play a guy that is making that much coin. Do that and thy are gonna be stuck paying $18.5M more to a 36 year old bench guy in 2022...

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

I hadn't realized that. That actually makes me happier and gives good reason to minimize him if he doesn't produce at even an average level. To me, he is clogging up the works.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Shildt wins NL Manager of the Year.

Cardinals bringing back Waino on a one-year deal.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Cardinals to have all weeknight games in April, May, August and September start at 6:45 PM. The only exception will be the home finale vs. Milwaukee on Wednesday September 23rd, which will start at 5:45 PM as the Brewers have to play in San Francisco the next night.

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

This is nothing new. They experimented with it last season, the club and fans seemed to have liked it so they are making it permanent. You rag on posters for duplicating what you post, yet you post things like you are a reporter or something and none if it is news or revealing. I do not get my Cardinals news from this board. The board is for sharing thoughts and feelings about the team with fellow Cardinal fans, not for some wannabe insider who posts day old info about the team

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

jim beam wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:48 am
This is nothing new. They experimented with it last season, the club and fans seemed to have liked it so they are making it permanent. You rag on posters for duplicating what you post, yet you post things like you are a reporter or something and none if it is news or revealing. I do not get my Cardinals news from this board. The board is for sharing thoughts and feelings about the team with fellow Cardinal fans, not for some wannabe insider who posts day old info about the team
Ooook. Don't know what is causing this reaction.

Anyway, I saw the story on STLToday. If it's such a concern for you, here's a link to the article mentioning it: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... f2e9a.html

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

This is super exciting. In absolute certain Cardinal off season fashion, in the midst of winter meetings the Cardinals announce that Carp and Bader are both spending the winter working with weights and working on getting better. Of course they are. I don't know why I keep thinking something will happen, but I fully expect the Cardinals to trade for a lefthanded hitting everyday O/F and also add a #3 type starting pitcher, but will not be surprised if they roll into spring with what they ended the season with (minus Ozuna)

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 68a84.html

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Michael Wacha to the Mets. 1 year, $3 million deal with incentives that could raise it up to $10 million.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Cardinals have signed Korean lefthander Kwang-Hyun Kim: https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/kwan ... -cardinals

Kim has played in the KBO the past 13 years and went 17-6 last season with a 2.51 ERA. The deal is 2 years, $8 million.

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

jim beam wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:40 pm
Something is cooking

https://redbirdrants.com/2020/01/09/st- ... iberatore/
Seems like a good long term deal. Martinez is a DH. Arozarena was never going to get a chance
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Like it. Young pitching is a gamble, but good upside without giving up much.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Here's the info from mlbtraderumors.com on the two players the Cardinals got in this trade:

Liberatore:
Picked 16th overall in the 2018, Liberatore has gotten off to a solid start in his young career, with a 2.59 ERA, 9.2 K/9, and 2.57 K/BB rate over his first 111 professional innings. That includes a 3.10 ERA over 78 1/3 IP at the A-ball level in 2019, though Liberatore missed a bit of time with a minor back injury.

It was a performance that did nothing to dim Liberatore’s stock in the eyes of evaluators, as the most recent prospect rankings from Baseball America (31st), Baseball Prospectus (37th), MLB.com (41st), and Fangraphs (63rd) all place Liberatore solidly among the sport’s top minor leaguers. MLB Pipeline ranks Liberatore fourth on its list of the best left-handed pitching prospects, with a scouting report touting his potential for as many as three 60-grade pitches on the 20-80 scouting scale. In fact, Liberatore’s fastball, changeup, and slider all earned a 55 grade from Pipeline, while his “swing-and-miss hammer” of a curveball gets a 60 grade.

Liberatore is only 20 years old, and at 6’5″ and 200 pounds, might still need to add some bulk to withstand the workload of a Major League starting pitcher. He’ll now immediately become the most promising young arm in the St. Louis farm system, now that the likes of Jack Flaherty and Dakota Hudson have graduated to the big leagues, and Alex Reyes’ injury concerns continues to cloud his future.
Rodriguez:
The 19-year-old Rodriguez has hit .338/.389/.495 with six home runs over his first 244 PA as a professional, two seasons with the Rays’ teams in the Dominican Summer League and rookie-ball Gulf Coast League (though he missed over six weeks this season due to injury). Signed out of Venezuela during the 2017-18 international signing period, Rodriguez was ranked prior to the 2019 season as the 53rd-best prospect in Tampa Bay’s system, as per Fangraphs’ Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen. It remains to be seen if Rodriguez can remain as a catcher, though Longenhagen/McDaniels were impressed by his hitting ability.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

Great trade.

The Rays really like Arozarena which should make the Cardinals nervous that they are kissing something. But clearly he wasn’t in the Cardinals plans.

The Cardinals have Martinez’ replacement on the roster in Rangel Ravelo. Getting a Top 40 prospect without giving up a key piece to your current roster and farm depth is a no brainer.

Don’t sleep on the catcher they got in the deal. He’s 19 and can really hit.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

What do my fellow Cardinals fans think about this?:

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

I want N.A in the worst way. But I see no way Mo makes that offer. Huge cost when added to what they gave to get Liberatore

Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

jim beam wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:52 pm
I want N.A in the worst way. But I see no way Mo makes that offer. Huge cost when added to what they gave to get Liberatore
I believe that trade offer was debunked. There is no way the Cardinals offered 40% of the starting rotation, an outfielder, and there now best pitching prospect who cost them 2 other outfielders for one player. I don’t care how Arenado is, nobody is worth all of that
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Buckeyes1 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:04 am
jim beam wrote:
I believe that trade offer was debunked. There is no way the Cardinals offered 40% of the starting rotation, an outfielder, and there now best pitching prospect who cost them 2 other outfielders for one player. I don’t care how Arenado is, nobody is worth all of that
Fake News.

Nolan Arenado has played 516 games outside of Coors Field in his career. His career line on the road: 265/323/476/799. That's not elite level. Not close.
~Thomas Jefferson

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

That trade will not happen.
go cubs go!

jim beam
All Universe
All Universe

Post by jim beam »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:03 am
Buckeyes1 wrote:
jim beam wrote:
Fake News.

Nolan Arenado has played 516 games outside of Coors Field in his career. His career line on the road: 265/323/476/799. That's not elite level. Not close.
Most fans knew that rumor was fake. But I'd still take him with about half that offer. Fowler, Cmart for example. I doubt much is cooking. There's also a mookie beta rumor out there. Hell I could come up with something and throw it out and somebody would run with it

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Cardinals Caravan coming to central Illinois this weekend. Here's who will be seen:

Caravan #4
-Broadcaster: Mike Claiborne
-Current Players: Tommy Edman, Daniel Ponce De Leon, Matthew Liberatore, Nolan Gorman
-Alumni: Kyle McClellan and Bernard Gilkey

This caravan will be at the I Hotel and Conference Center (Noon, Friday) in Champaign, Embassy Suites Hotel (6:00 PM, Friday) in Peoria, and the Parke Regency Hotel (Saturday, 4:30 PM) in Bloomington.

Caravan #5
-Broadcaster: Chris Hrabe
-Current Players: Harrison Bader, Alex Reyes, Jake Woodford, Kodi Whitley
-Alumni: Jason Motte and Bengie Molina

This caravan will be at the Lake Land College Field House (Noon, Sunday) in Mattoon, the Bank of Springfield Center (6:00 PM, Sunday) , the Decatur Hotel & Conference Center (Noon, next Monday), and the Pepsi Arena at Quincy University (5:30 PM, next Monday) though the event in Quincy is autographs only and requires a ticket to the Quincy University vs. Truman State games.

ER3
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by ER3 »

tribecalledquest wrote:
Buckeyes1 wrote:
jim beam wrote:
Fake News.

The road splits are concerning to say the least...but when trying to quantify Arenado's true "value", you've got to factor in his defense...he is truly elite there. Getting Matt Carpenter as far away from 3rd base going into next year would be a huge benefit to the overall defensive performance of this team.

I'm not going all in on advocating for this trade...It's almost certainly going to look like an overpay on the Cards' part if/when a trade package gets finalized...but that's what it is going to take to get Colorado to pull the trigger.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

ER3 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 pm
tribecalledquest wrote:
Buckeyes1 wrote:

Fake News.

The road splits are concerning to say the least...but when trying to quantify Arenado's true "value", you've got to factor in his defense...he is truly elite there. Getting Matt Carpenter as far away from 3rd base going into next year would be a huge benefit to the overall defensive performance of this team.

I'm not going all in on advocating for this trade...It's almost certainly going to look like an overpay on the Cards' part if/when a trade package gets finalized...but that's what it is going to take to get Colorado to pull the trigger.
For sure. His defense is elite. No doubt. And a lot of guys have negative home/road splits who don't play at Coors. In fact, most guys perform better at home. So that's not a huge deal - just that his is so drastic.

I would include Dakota Hudson, Tyler O'Neill and a pretty good prospect. But that's it.
~Thomas Jefferson