Don Larsen

For the civil discussion of pro sports
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Don Larsen

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

https://nypost.com/2020/01/01/don-larse ... ead-at-90/

Dead at age 90 from esophageal cancer. Still the only pitcher to ever throw a perfect game in the World Series.

CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Don Larsen

Post by CIS »

How fickle fate is! Larsen was a mediocre pitcher but for one day he shined with one of the greatest world series accomplishments. Before the famous perfect game, Larsen had started game two and lasted only 1.2 innings while allowing four runs. That was his only pitching in the 1956 series before game five. In fact, Larsen pitched once in the 1955 series (also a start) and was bombed. His only two world series outings before his perfect game led to this stat line: 9 runs allowed in 5 2/3 innings! Larsen's best season was in '56 when he went 11-5. He also did well in the 1957, 58 and 62 world series going 4-1. At the opposite end, Larsen also suffered 3-21 and 1-10 seasons with the Orioles and Athletics. Two of his 3 wins in the 3-21 season were against the Yankees, so maybe that's why the picked him the following year? Larsen was the last living pitcher for the long gone St. Louis Browns. He finished 81-91....but for one day he was lights out and will forever be remembered for his feat

Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

Such performances are inherent in baseball where on a single day everything clicks making in unlikely sports legend.
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32

tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

Yep. We haven't heard from Armando Galaragga after 2012. He was 26-34 and only known for 1 thing. A near fluke as well.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

My favorite is Dock Ellis' no-no against the Cubs while tripping on LSD. :lol:
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

There's plenty of pitchers on the list of no-hitters and perfect games that have rather unremarkable careers. I mean, guys like Phillip Humber and Bud Smith didn't do much of note after their performances.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:39 pm
There's plenty of pitchers on the list of no-hitters and perfect games that have rather unremarkable careers. I mean, guys like Phillip Humber and Bud Smith didn't do much of note after their performances.
The amount of luck involved in throwing a no hitter is off the charts.
"When the speech condemns a free press, you are hearing the words of a tyrant."
~Thomas Jefferson

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan »

The game is now on MLBNET.
#girldad

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

I watched that game on tv, I recall the school sent all of us to the high school. We had one television set up in auditorium. In ‘59 we watched Pirates Bill Mazeroski’s home run in game 7. An added note, Don Larson’s final out was a strikeout by Dale Mitchell. I had an uncle with that name, so it was a family story for years.
go cubs go!