Is this the first step of Ozzie heading to Florida?

For the civil discussion of pro sports
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Is this the first step of Ozzie heading to Florida?

Post by soccerforever »

roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Is this the first step of Ozzie heading to Florida?

Post by squirrel »

I thought it was just a remainder of the year deal anyway. But yeah. I expect the Marlins to spend big too, and would not be surprised to see A-Ram in Little Havana.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Word out of Chicago is that Ozzie has already said he wants to go to Florida. It looks like the White Sox are going to hold out for compensation from them.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
TheRoller
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by TheRoller »

Ozzie was scheduled to be on ESPN radio with SVP today but had to postpone after being called into a meeting with Jerry R. Haven't heard what the outcome of that was.
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Ozzie was scheduled to be on ESPN radio with SVP today but had to postpone after being called into a meeting with Jerry R. Haven't heard what the outcome of that was.
This could happen a lot faster than I thought it would. Great info....Thanks!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
tknup
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tknup »

Word is that tonight is his last game with the White Sox and will be traded to the Marlins very soon.
TheRoller

Post by TheRoller »

Immediately after the last pitch was thrown in tonight's game, Hawk Harrelson read a statement from the White Sox announcing they were agreeing to Ozzie's request to be released from the remaining year of his contract. No talk of a trade, just a release.
Ozzie to Miami makes a lot of sense from the Marlin's perspective. He's a world series winner, with ties as well to the Marlin's 2003 series win, who will help the team market themselves to the large Latino population in that area.

Rumors also abound that his replacement may be Tony LaRussa or Terry Francona who is suddenly reported to be on the hot seat in Boston.
Officially recognized as the "Smartest Poster on the Boards"

Tell me what you KNOW, not what you've heard.
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Rumors also abound that his replacement may be Tony LaRussa or Terry Francona who is suddenly reported to be on the hot seat in Boston.
I know the LaRussa rumor has been out there for awhile but if the Cards come back and make the playoffs would he still be gone?
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

Here are the names i'm hearing as possible replacements for Ozzie on the South side:

1) Triple-A Charlotte manager Joe McEwing
2) Minor League director Buddy Bell
3) Rays bench coach Dave Martinez
4) Indians first-base coach Sandy Alomar Jr.
tknup
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tknup »

Ozzie is free to manage somewhere else, however, the White Sox reserved the right to compensation and it appears as early as Wednesday, Guillen may be the next Marlins manager with Florida giving the Sox infielder Martinez and a minor league player.

LaRussa is an interesting choice for Chicago if he leaves STL. He and Reinsdorf are still good friends. It could happen especially if Dave Duncan is unable to come back to major league baseball. Maybe he could convince his first baseman to go with him, now that Albert has built a house near Springfield.
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

tknup wrote:Ozzie is free to manage somewhere else, however, the White Sox reserved the right to compensation and it appears as early as Wednesday, Guillen may be the next Marlins manager with Florida giving the Sox infielder Martinez and a minor league player.

LaRussa is an interesting choice for Chicago if he leaves STL. He and Reinsdorf are still good friends. It could happen especially if Dave Duncan is unable to come back to major league baseball. Maybe he could convince his first baseman to go with him, now that Albert has built a house near Springfield.
I don't think Kenny Williams would touch Tony LaRussa with a ten foot pole. Ozzie wore him out, and the last thing he's going to want is a manager who is going to challenge him and potentially come between him and the owner. Kenny won the battle with Ozzie, but I don't think he's going to want to fight that battle again. As far as Albert goes, the only way he ends up on the south side is if they can find takers for Rios, Peavy, and Dunn.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

tknup wrote:Ozzie is free to manage somewhere else, however, the White Sox reserved the right to compensation and it appears as early as Wednesday, Guillen may be the next Marlins manager with Florida giving the Sox infielder Martinez and a minor league player.

I have to agree with Beanie on this. I don't see there being any way that Pujols comes to the South Side. Especially when you consider that they already have Konerko and Dunn who can play 1B and I'm guessing that Albert would probably rather play in the field than DH if at all possible. I still say that if Pujols leaves St. Louis, there's really only two main places I could see him going. One is Anaheim and the other is the north side of Chicago. With that being said, don't be surprised if you see darkhorse teams like Washington and Florida throw a whole lot of cash at Pujols or Fielder.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

From what I've heard/read, the Marlins are planning an all-out push to corner the Latin/Caribbean market this offseason as part of their re-branding strategy.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

squirrel wrote:From what I've heard/read, the Marlins are planning an all-out push to corner the Latin/Caribbean market this offseason as part of their re-branding strategy.
Players or fans?
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Beanie wrote:
squirrel wrote:From what I've heard/read, the Marlins are planning an all-out push to corner the Latin/Caribbean market this offseason as part of their re-branding strategy.
Players or fans?
Fans by way of players. Starting with Ozzie. Since the Marlins have an illustrious history of abandoning its fans, they are viewing this as basically a franchise "re-boot"
salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life »

I've heard A-Ram is a possibility in Florida as well.
"The Pack Leader"
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

squirrel wrote:
Beanie wrote:
Players or fans?
Fans by way of players. Starting with Ozzie. Since the Marlins have an illustrious history of abandoning its fans, they are viewing this as basically a franchise "re-boot"
This is an interesting way of going to business. I remember hearing recently that Hispanic Americans are among the nation's poorest people with 1 in 4 living at or below poverty. I'm not sure that's a group I would hang my hat on in the current climate.

http://www.wtxl.com/content/topstories/ ... 91cXg.cspx

More than 1 in 4 Hispanics lives in poverty, that group experienced the sharpest rise in poverty rate according to the U.S. Census.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
tknup
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tknup »

My comment on Pujols in the South Side of ChicaGO was ore of an off-hand comment to go with TLR....

If he leaves STL, I believe Pujols ends up in Los Angeles with the Angels, Florida with the Marlins and the darkhorse (10%) is the Nationals.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

That is true, Beanie. However, Miami is one area that outlies the national statistics, though they are still collectively below the poverty level.

I do not know the date of this document, but the other thing to keep in mind is the heavily Cuban expatriate population which brings the averages up.

Here is an excerpt:
Miami is one of the major U.S. cities where Hispanics dominate numerically, politically, and economically. In being so, as of the 2000 census, the median household income in Miami was $35,966, approximately $6,000 below the national average. 18% of Miami residents fall below the poverty line making it one of the top 5 poorest cities in the United States. Despite the low income levels, Latinos, particularly Cubans, have thrived in Miami in comparison to other U.S. cities. The average per capita income of Latinos in Miami is $16,914 versus a national average of $12,111. In addition, approximately 60% of Miami firms are minority-owned. (46)

Cuban success stories are everywhere in Miami . U.S. born Cubans have the highest average incomes of any Hispanic group, of which 2/3 of them reside in Florida . Of the 80 Latinos in the United States worth $25 million dollars or more, 32 are of Cuban origin. Some South Americans, such as Columbians and Peruvians, also share the upper crust with Cubans in Miami . Their success is attributable to their high level of education prior to leaving their respective countries. These wealthy immigrants, many business and professional people, fled South America with the economic plunge of the 80's, not as political refugees. (47)
dabirds

Post by dabirds »

ESPN Radio said Ozzie to Marlins @ 2x's his current salary.
2014 Large School Pick'em Champ
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Looking official: http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/ ... t-released
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/ ... t-released

I imagine they wanted him in place by next month's logo unveil.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Latest is that Sox will receive 2 players as compensation. Wouldn't it be ironic IF Dave Martinez ends up in Chicago with the Sox, AND Sandberg get's the Cubs job! :td
go cubs go!
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Looks like I just found the new home for Big Z and the last year of his contract. Ozzie and Big Z together. Can you say EXPLOSION!!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Could Williams really just send him a text message? I also thought Coop signed a 4 year extension to stay as the pithing coach.

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports. ... 2/32312942
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
Redbird CC Fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Redbird CC Fan »

soccerforever wrote:Could Williams really just send him a text message? I also thought Coop signed a 4 year extension to stay as the pithing coach.

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports. ... 2/32312942
I heard on the SCORE that Kenny Williams called this report about Joey Cora's firing via text message incorrect. This story feels like another of those false rumor, sniping things towards Kenny Williams and others that occurred many times throughout Ozzie's tenure with the Sox. Also the speed at which Ozzie is seemingly moving to the Marlins, makes it feel like Ozzie had worked out this deal before asking for his release from the Sox. He had blogged about it and posted it hours after being fired?
"Become vengeance, Redbird CC. Become wrath." -John Doe (Se7en, 1995) :SHOW32