Ryne Sandberg

Post by salz4life »

"The Pack Leader"
pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Ryne Sandberg

Post by pndbaseball12 »

IMO, why set him up for failure? The team he would be inheriting would still be god awful. Now if they can make a splash in the free agent market or some of the minor leaguers are ready for the big time come next spring then Im all for it. But as of right now, he would just be set up for failure, just like Quade was.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

But as of right now, he would just be set up for failure, just like Quade was.
Quade was a failure without help from anyone else.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...
Prodigal Son
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Prodigal Son »

Bring Sandberg on NOW!!! He can get his feet wet with next years team,. don't expect him to win the division. Then in 2013 make a serious run at it.
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Prodigal I could live with that.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

If he's the Ricketts' guy, then I'm guessing he would be given plenty of time to build and grow with the young players.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life »

Beanie wrote:If he's the Ricketts' guy, then I'm guessing he would be given plenty of time to build and grow with the young players.

Agreed.
"The Pack Leader"
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

salz4life wrote:
Beanie wrote:If he's the Ricketts' guy, then I'm guessing he would be given plenty of time to build and grow with the young players.

Agreed.
Yes on all counts. This isn't a "win now" situation anyway.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
O&B 78
All Universe
All Universe

Post by O&B 78 »

I would like to see him back on the northside...and I think most Cub fans would give him a couple-3 years,,,hopefully the new GM will get him a real team by then.
I read the back of the Book, You lose.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

This just backs up my claim and my inside sources that Hendry was the sole reason that Sandberg was not given a chance to manage the Cubs in 2011. I hope they retool and just show promise next year, hopefully under Ryno. And please, play some fundamental ball and just show us that they want to compete.
go cubs go!
firefighter13
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by firefighter13 »

deejay wrote:This just backs up my claim and my inside sources that Hendry was the sole reason that Sandberg was not given a chance to manage the Cubs in 2011. I hope they retool and just show promise next year, hopefully under Ryno. And please, play some fundamental ball and just show us that they want to compete.

You have inside sources? Lol
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

I always wanted inside sources. :( .
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Sorry, must sound like some reporter, but believe me JH for whatever reason had a strong dislike for Ryno.
go cubs go!
PenZam
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by PenZam »

i don't know how good sandberg would do, but i think he have a hunch he would do well. i think he brings a no-nonsense attitude that would work. if nothing else, i believe he would have the guts to sit soriano and other high-priced underachieving veterans
firefighter13

Post by firefighter13 »

I don't think Jesus Christ could manage this team as it is constructed and win.
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

deejay wrote:Sorry, must sound like some reporter, but believe me JH for whatever reason had a strong dislike for Ryno.
Well, I like Ryno as much as everyone else, but he does come with baggage. Like, the Cubs need to "reconcile" with him? Really? He wasn't qualified to be manager last time around.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
scubastevo

Post by scubastevo »

firefighter13 wrote:I don't think Jesus Christ could manage this team as it is constructed and win.
Exactly. Which is why I don't think this is the right position for Ryne. Its still set up for failure.
Wait til next year. 101 is the year!
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

scubastevo wrote:
firefighter13 wrote:I don't think Jesus Christ could manage this team as it is constructed and win.
Exactly. Which is why I don't think this is the right position for Ryne. Its still set up for failure.
I don't think it's set up to fail as much as it's set up to be reconstructed. If you're going to start from scratch and Sandberg wants to be the guy to attempt to rebuild it, then why not give it a shot. Set up to fail is what you had this year when Jim Hendry tried to convince everyone that he had chicken salad when we all knew he had chicken s#|t.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life »

Beanie wrote:
scubastevo wrote:
I don't think it's set up to fail as much as it's set up to be reconstructed. If you're going to start from scratch and Sandberg wants to be the guy to attempt to rebuild it, then why not give it a shot. Set up to fail is what you had this year when Jim Hendry tried to convince everyone that he had chicken salad when we all knew he had chicken s#|t.
Bingo..... Hendry's mantra was the Cubs were "one or two players away" from contending.
"The Pack Leader"
Reggie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Reggie »

salz4life wrote:Hendry's mantra was the Cubs were "one or two players away" from contending.
Unfortunately for Cub fans those two players were Babe Ruth and Sandy Koufax. :cry:
I favor capital punishment. But there are alot of cases where I don't think capital punishment applies (parking violations) and cases where it should be applied (murder, child molestation, illegal HS football recruiting).- BirdWatcher
RedDevil
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by RedDevil »

So i know that Ryno has won at pretty much every level he has managed: does anyone have each years splits?
How bout offense vs defense vs pitching stats as a team - just curious