Could Theo really be heading to the Cubs?

For the civil discussion of pro sports
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Could Theo really be heading to the Cubs?

Post by soccerforever »

roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...
BAM
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: Could Theo really be heading to the Cubs?

Post by BAM »

My sources say it won't happen...
I will not mention Tknup....I will not mention Tknup....I will not mention Tknup....I will not mention Tknup....I will not mention Tknup....I will not mention Tknup....I will not mention Tknup....I will not mention Tknup....I wiill not mention Tknup.....
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

The new manager or GM won't come from Boston.
Last edited by deejay on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go cubs go!
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

I think that Friedman always was and still is their first choice. Problem is that now that Tampa Bay is in the playoffs, he is off limits until they are eliminated. In addition, his stock is now a lot higher. The Cubs just won't pay the money Epstein would demand, same for Francona.
go cubs go!
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever »

Still think that Friedman was and still is their first choice
Deejay I think you right. They thought they would of interviewed him by now but then Tampa made the playoffs.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...
LarryBird
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by LarryBird »

Theo and Tito will join the Cubs for next year. Book it!
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde
salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life »

I wonder if Theo is using this to get a good extension from the Red Sox (or maybe a promotion)..... kind of hard to imagine after the choke we saw in September, but stranger things have happened.
"The Pack Leader"
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

If the Tito/Theo thing is a deal, then the Cubs will still be bad. Ricketts will not pay the money that they will ask, then spend money on the free agent market. He is still trying to get money from the State for improvements.
go cubs go!
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Well it appears as though there is mutual interest, and more interestingly, it appears as though the Cubs were rooting for the Red Sox season to end, hanging around in the clubhouse at Petco on the final night of the season:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/7950802- ... or-gm.html
http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2 ... ^^-gm-spot
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

It appears the Red Sox are prepared to allow the two parties to talk.
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this- ... -talk-cubs
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

This might just get interesting after all.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

A source close to Epstein claims it's 50-50 he leaves for "the right situation" and it seems as though Henry and Epstein's working relationship has been less than rosy. Maybe not contentious, but rather just not working out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/ ... ins-future
http://firebrandal.com/2011/10/03/john- ... n-red-sox/

All getting more interesting with each passing hour.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay »

Didn't I hear or read where Tito and Theo are in a rock together? Chicago was trying to promote that since Brenley/Kasper also are in a rock band. Anyone else hear that?Crazier things have happened!
go cubs go!
PenZam
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by PenZam »

I don't know how I feel about Theo Espstein. It seems like he found some early diamonds (Ortiz, Bill Mueller, Millar), but has had a lot of recent duds in terms of high priced free agents. I worry that it looks more like Hendry's early success that eventually fizzled out.

Along with Lackey and Crawford, there has been a lot of money wasted on guys like Dice-K, Edgar Renteria, JD Drew, Julio Lugo

http://www.nesn.com/2011/09/john-lackey ... nings.html\

""Our decision-making process on expensive free agents … has not been satisfactory," Epstein said. "That's an area we have to address and look in the mirror because the results demonstrate that's not an aspect of the organization that's not functioning at a high enough level to meet our standards. "

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1819 ... ein/page/2
JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD »

The Cubs need a complete overhaul. I don't think this is a one-man fix. They are in an old, dilapidated stadium. They have some payroll issues, and they have some minor league issues after the Garza deal.

I think whoever takes the job as GM is going to have some major work in front of him.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

JD wrote:The Cubs need a complete overhaul. I don't think this is a one-man fix. They are in an old, dilapidated stadium. They have some payroll issues, and they have some minor league issues after the Garza deal.

I think whoever takes the job as GM is going to have some major work in front of him.
I don't hear anyone arguing against your point JD. All they can do is start at the beginning. There is new ownership that is seeking new leadership in the highest position on the baseball operations side (GM). This is where everything has to start.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD »

Beanie wrote:
JD wrote:The Cubs need a complete overhaul. I don't think this is a one-man fix. They are in an old, dilapidated stadium. They have some payroll issues, and they have some minor league issues after the Garza deal.

I don't hear anyone arguing against your point JD. All they can do is start at the beginning. There is new ownership that is seeking new leadership in the highest position on the baseball operations side (GM). This is where everything has to start.
Yep. I am a Reds fan from way back, but I actually would like to see the Cubs be successful. I think it would be great for the sport.

I thought the new ownership would be the answer, and it still may be. However, the rapid changes I expected have not happened yet.
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

JD wrote:
I thought the new ownership would be the answer, and it still may be. However, the rapid changes I expected have not happened yet.
Unfortunately, the new ownership was also saddled with some albatrosses salary-wise that made rapid change next-to-impossible. GM Hendry, who earlier in the century made some brilliant moves, was unable to make the necessary adjustments to win.

I think now, especially if A-Ram and Big Z are off the roster next year, you will see the rapid change in the next 2-3 years.
DrDoom77
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by DrDoom77 »

Zamby wrote:I don't know how I feel about Theo Espstein. It seems like he found some early diamonds (Ortiz, Bill Mueller, Millar), but has had a lot of recent duds in terms of high priced free agents. I worry that it looks more like Hendry's early success that eventually fizzled out.
Yeah, I've always felt that he was a little overrated because of his early success. Frankly, I'm not sure how much different he is from Hendry. Maybe he runs a better farm system, but other than that...

Here's a review of Theo from cnnsi's Peter King, a big Red Sox fan:
Terry Francona, who managed the 2004 and 2007 World Series winners, parted ways with the Sox and their GM, Theo Epstein, whose major free-agent signings since 2005 are Edgar Renteria, Julio Lugo, J.D. Drew, Daisuke Matsuzaka, John Lackey, Marco Scutaro, Mike Cameron, Carl Crawford and Bobby Jenks.

• You can look it up: Since 2005, Epstein has signed those nine players to contracts totaling $462 million, with an additional $51.1 million paid to a Japanese team to acquire Matsuzaka. Of that $513 million spent, and those nine players, only Scutaro has been worth every dime of his contract -- and his deal was only for two years and $12.5 million.

The infantile Lackey has been worth not a nickel of his five-year, $82.5 million deal. The most depressing thought of the 2012 season? That I'll have to sit through even one Lackey start.

Stop giving me stats showing how good Drew's been, and that's he the nth-best right-fielder in the league since signing. A player who, in five years, hasn't scored 90 runs once, hasn't hit 25 homers once, and hasn't driven in 70 runs once is not worth even half of the $14 million a year Drew cost. Period.

Crawford? Jury's out, but that's the nicest thing you can say about what appears to be a declining player who can't play on the big stage. I do like Crawford, because he shows up and plays hard and seems to be pained about not living up to his contract. But the overriding point is, Epstein has done a terrible job restocking a good team over the last six years.

I am a bit mystified why the manager goes and the GM doesn't (unless these Cubs rumors are true), based on the track record in free agency.

Now, Epstein wisely stole Curt Schilling and signed David Ortiz and laid the groundwork for the 2004 and 2007 World Series title. He'll always have a place at the head table in Red Sox history, to be sure. As will Francona. I'll always appreciate what they did, no question. But Epstein's last few years? Royals-like. (I don't include the Adrian Gonzalez trade here, because he was not a free agent. He was acquired in trade with a year left before free agency for the Red Sox's best two minor league prospects, and it was a simple trade to make. How many teams in baseball had the financial wherewithal to make such a deal and then sign him long-term? Two? Three? So don't make that a great score on the Theo ledger. Who was he competing with?)
Prodigal Son
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by Prodigal Son »

LarryBird wrote:Theo and Tito will join the Cubs for next year. Book it!
Along with Albert Pujols,.....should be interesting.
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

Cubs ask permission to talk to Epstein:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/ ... eport-says
Buckeyes1
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Buckeyes1 »

You can name all of the bad signings and I can name all of the players he has brought through the Red Sox farm system.

Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Daniel Bard, Jonathan Papelbon, Jon Lester, and Clay Bucholz are all on the team now and stars of the team. Add on guys like Hanley Ramirez and others that he sent away as part of trades for guys like Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez. And the fact that he decided not trade either Jon Lester or Clay Bucholz for Johan Santana when most fans wanted him to do just that.

Yeah he has made some bad signings but he has also brought up some great players and traded for others using those farm products. He might be a little overrated overall but he is outstanding with the farm system and IMO it more than cancels out. As a Red Sox fan I really hope he doesn't leave.
You better hope the BIG institutes a mercy rule because we’re gonna drop 100
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

Buckeyes1 wrote:You can name all of the bad signings and I can name all of the players he has brought through the Red Sox farm system.

Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Daniel Bard, Jonathan Papelbon, Jon Lester, and Clay Bucholz are all on the team now and stars of the team. Add on guys like Hanley Ramirez and others that he sent away as part of trades for guys like Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez. And the fact that he decided not trade either Jon Lester or Clay Bucholz for Johan Santana when most fans wanted him to do just that.

Yeah he has made some bad signings but he has also brought up some great players and traded for others using those farm products. He might be a little overrated overall but he is outstanding with the farm system and IMO it more than cancels out. As a Red Sox fan I really hope he doesn't leave.
The guy won two world championships.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com
squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel »

My only concern is that he & Henry were the 2nd real big, successful "moneyball" execs, after Beane. Now, everyone is playing moneyball to a different degree. So that advantage is sort of a wash, until someone figures out how to improve it.

Along those same lines, Bill James won't be a consultant in Chicago, either.
Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie »

squirrel wrote:My only concern is that he & Henry were the 2nd real big, successful "moneyball" execs, after Beane. Now, everyone is playing moneyball to a different degree. So that advantage is sort of a wash, until someone figures out how to improve it.

Along those same lines, Bill James won't be a consultant in Chicago, either.
I'll take a guy who can play "moneyball" and has a payroll budget north of $125 million any day.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com