Cubs

For the civil discussion of pro sports
JD
All Universe
All Universe

Cubs

Post by JD » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 am

Nice get with Lester. Theo has been patient but the Cubs are starting to look legit. 2016 could be a playoff year if their prospects develop and they can add a few more pieces!

2015 looks a heckuva lot better too!
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

Lefty
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Cubs

Post by Lefty » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:24 am

JD wrote:Nice get with Lester. Theo has been patient but the Cubs are starting to look legit. 2016 could be a playoff year if their prospects develop and they can add a few more pieces!

I guess I'm still surprised here…..nothing against the Cubs but I would have thought Lester would want to pitch in SF…..WS team and much friendlier park to pitch in. I'm guessing there were performance incentives as well that would be easier to get in SF.

You hear such great things about SF organization and yet we can't sign Pablo with a comparable deal to Boston and a fan base that loved him(most of the time) and Lester………...

Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:34 am

Lefty wrote:
JD wrote:Nice get with Lester. Theo has been patient but the Cubs are starting to look legit. 2016 could be a playoff year if their prospects develop and they can add a few more pieces!

I guess I'm still surprised here…..nothing against the Cubs but I would have thought Lester would want to pitch in SF…..WS team and much friendlier park to pitch in. I'm guessing there were performance incentives as well that would be easier to get in SF.

You hear such great things about SF organization and yet we can't sign Pablo with a comparable deal to Boston and a fan base that loved him(most of the time) and Lester………...
I think Lester's relationship with Theo and company was pretty tight, going back to when he had cancer in Boston.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:16 am

Question know is time clock.... As in has it been bumped up a year ????? Do you blow everyone away and go after Scherzer ( prob not) or possibly Shields maybe now trade for Hammels.

Do they look for outfield bat.....????

One thing for sure is they now can " sell" the vision to FA's easier with the commit of Lester.

Opening day not to long ago I read Cubs/cards with projected starters Lester/wainwright. Smiled but never thought it would be reality..... Grounds crew get that orange temporary fence ready.....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:30 am

It sounds like the Giants never really had the opportunity to make a final offer.

$155 million and six years is a lot of money and time for a 31 year old pitcher with a lot of mileage on his arm.
“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:56 am

tribecalledquest wrote:It sounds like the Giants never really had the opportunity to make a final offer.

$155 million and six years is a lot of money and time for a 31 year old pitcher with a lot of mileage on his arm.
6 at 150 was going to be market value. I am so happy about this signing. The hard thrower with mileage on his arm has not been signed yet and he is going to crush the Lester contract.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:56 am

tribecalledquest wrote:It sounds like the Giants never really had the opportunity to make a final offer.

You think it was a bad move...????
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:05 am

dogsrus wrote:Question know is time clock.... As in has it been bumped up a year ????? Do you blow everyone away and go after Scherzer ( prob not) or possibly Shields maybe now trade for Hammels.

One thing for sure is they now can " sell" the vision to FA's easier with the commit of Lester.

Opening day not to long ago I read Cubs/cards with projected starters Lester/wainwright. Smiled but never thought it would be reality..... Grounds crew get that orange temporary fence ready.....
Scherzer- No Way. He is the one I worry about having arm troubles down the line and he will be getting a lot more money than Lester.

The time has not been moved up. The plan was Lester this year and another number 1 out of the crop next year. I am sure the new manager would want Shields but I do not see throwing 20 million a year at him and the Cubs could still explore Hamel at the trade deadline if he is still around, which I think he will be.

On the outfield bat I have wanted Cabrera since the start. Will the Cubs look into it now.

100% agree that it is now easier to tell FA that they are now building to win. Love the plan coming together. Compete in 2015 and start the playoff runs in 2016.

Still surprised Lester did not end up with San Fran.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

JMM28
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by JMM28 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:34 am

I'm excited for a Cubs season.

I think the Cubs realize there are going to be some dead years on the back of that contract. But the option to acquire top line pitching for nothing but money makes sense. By the time the last two years roll around the Cubs will have all revenue streams coming in, tv/new Wrigley.

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:41 am

This is essentially a repeat of the Soriano contract, IMO. It worries me, but again... the Cubs needed an ace so they had to pay market value (or maybe a bit more).
"The Pack Leader"

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:26 am

salz4life wrote:This is essentially a repeat of the Soriano contract, IMO. It worries me, but again... the Cubs needed an ace so they had to pay market value (or maybe a bit more).
This is nothing like the Soriano contract. When that was signed the majority of people new it was a horrible contract. The only team they were bidding against were the Cubs. :shock: from numbers I heard last night there was never a 7 year deal from anyone and the 6 year deals were as follows.

Dodgers not sure they really even tried.
Boston $140 million
San Fran $150 million

I am so happy with this signing at have no problem with the years.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

MJG24

Post by MJG24 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:44 am

Reminds me of an old post around here, for those who remember...
Being a Cubs fan these days is pretty good because we don't have to care. The Cubs have a really good team this year and we don't have to worry about every little game or stress out about every pulled groin. All of the Cubs angst this year is unnecessary until July at least and probably a lot later than that so why deal with it now? The Cubs are good enough to walk away with the division despite some problems. For the Cards (or anyone else) to take the division would require everything to go wrong for the Cubs and everything to go right for the Cardinals. If that starts to happen, I'll worry about it around July or August. But for now I am just enjoying baseball. I don't have to flip to ESPN and anxiously await scores when I arrive home. For every horrible game the Cubs play, there will be several good ones so it isn't worth it to get all worked up about Soriano going 0 for 4 or Big Z giving up 3 homers. Sure the Cubs play in a below par division, but they still have nothing to apologize for.

So my advice to Cubs fans is this. Go fishing or play golf and don't worry about getting back in time to watch the game. Enjoy the wins and shrug off the losses. One bad game or even a bad series is not ground to get down on the team. And NEVER EVER let anyone get away with writing off the Cubs because the division is not so hot.
:)

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:52 am

dogsrus wrote:

You think it was a bad move...????
No. I just think it was super risky. As a Cardinal fan I wouldn't have been happy with it had he signed with STL but the two organizations are in different positions.

salz4life
All Universe
All Universe

Post by salz4life » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:56 am

MJG24 wrote:Reminds me of an old post around here, for those who remember...
Being a Cubs fan these days is pretty good because we don't have to care. The Cubs have a really good team this year and we don't have to worry about every little game or stress out about every pulled groin. All of the Cubs angst this year is unnecessary until July at least and probably a lot later than that so why deal with it now? The Cubs are good enough to walk away with the division despite some problems. For the Cards (or anyone else) to take the division would require everything to go wrong for the Cubs and everything to go right for the Cardinals. If that starts to happen, I'll worry about it around July or August. But for now I am just enjoying baseball. I don't have to flip to ESPN and anxiously await scores when I arrive home. For every horrible game the Cubs play, there will be several good ones so it isn't worth it to get all worked up about Soriano going 0 for 4 or Big Z giving up 3 homers. Sure the Cubs play in a below par division, but they still have nothing to apologize for.

So my advice to Cubs fans is this. Go fishing or play golf and don't worry about getting back in time to watch the game. Enjoy the wins and shrug off the losses. One bad game or even a bad series is not ground to get down on the team. And NEVER EVER let anyone get away with writing off the Cubs because the division is not so hot.
:)

Was that Gator?
"The Pack Leader"

MJG24

Post by MJG24 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:01 am

salz4life wrote: Was that Gator?
G27

Beanie
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Beanie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:05 am

dogsrus wrote:Question know is time clock.... As in has it been bumped up a year ????? Do you blow everyone away and go after Scherzer ( prob not) or possibly Shields maybe now trade for Hammels.

Their rotation is set 1-4, and there are serviceable guys who will compete for the #5 spot (Wada, Wood, Doubet).

As far as veteran OF bat guys go, I'd look for a Johnny Gomes type guy. I don't think they'll spend significant money because I still believe that Bryant is going to be the leftfielder with Soler in right.
BradleyGargoyles.com
GargoyleFans.com

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 am

The talks are starting with Scherzer. The Giants and Yankees have had a meeting. Watch where this heads. I could see over 30 million a year. Next years free agent class of pitchers have to be smiling.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:50 am

Wait to pick up another ace until midseason, and use Castro or Russell as your chip there. Preferably Castro.
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:26 pm

I did like the Cubs move of getting Miguel Montero from the DBacks yesterday.

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:27 pm

And before we here the first " Cub fans are now talking about WS" let me set the record straight... No Cub fans I talk to believe this is the case.

Are we better... I would hope so but still a year away from really being in those discussions and even then let's talk competing for division title first....

JMM28
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by JMM28 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:50 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Wait to pick up another ace until midseason, and use Castro or Russell as your chip there. Preferably Castro.
Castro becomes the Nomar Garciaparra parallel.

I do think they have to wait until midseason to see how Baez adjusts to the bigs, Russell above AA and healthy, Bryant to the bigs, and Castro to get off to a good start again. If the impact LF bat rumors come to fruition, it would allow them to move Castro and get flexible with the infield lineups.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:52 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Wait to pick up another ace until midseason, and use Castro or Russell as your chip there. Preferably Castro.
Preferably Baez if he can string together a solid start to the season.
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:49 pm

JMM28 wrote:
Castro becomes the Nomar Garciaparra parallel.

I do think they have to wait until midseason to see how Baez adjusts to the bigs, Russell above AA and healthy, Bryant to the bigs, and Castro to get off to a good start again. If the impact LF bat rumors come to fruition, it would allow them to move Castro and get flexible with the infield lineups.
The Cubs could get a starter for Castro right now. They have shut those teams down by saying he is not available. It makes me wonder what they are thinking in the war room. The Cubs have stuck to the plan since day one and I will continue to support it. I did read earlier today they may grab another starter.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:16 pm

I gotta think now that they got Lester the thinking HAS to change even if a little......if they feel they get 4 " prime" years from the 6 year deal why " waste " a year. Im sure they just aren't going to go $$$ crazy but Im not convinced they are through this year....

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:22 pm

dogsrus wrote:I gotta think now that they got Lester the thinking HAS to change even if a little......if they feel they get 4 " prime" years from the 6 year deal why " waste " a year. Im sure they just aren't going to go $$$ crazy but Im not convinced they are through this year....
I agree with all of this but I do not think they will change their mind on Bryant and he will still be up until around May 1st. No way they want to lose a year of control on him. I think the next move will be an outfielder.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus