Cubs

For the civil discussion of pro sports
soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Cubs

Post by soccerforever » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:11 pm

Can’t believe how quiet things have been not only for the Cubs but for all the teams. Even the rumor mill has been silent. Coming up quickly on the 3 year anniversary of the Cubs signing Lester. Amazing how that was the starting point of a really nice 3 year run.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Well this is sort of a signing. 😄

The Cubs officially signed lefty reliever Dario Alvarez to a one year deal. Alvarez played last year for Texas compiling a 2.76 ERA in 20 games though his WHIP was 2.02. The Cubs will be his 4th team in 4 years.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Hmmmmmmm. Well he should do better then he did in Colorado. He road ERA was actually pretty good but needs to cut down on the walks.

The Chicago Cubs will hope for a bounce-back season from Tyler Chatwood after the two sides reportedly agreed to a three-year deal Thursday.

Carrie Muskat of MLB.com passed along word of the free-agent signing. The deal is reportedly worth $38 million, according to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm

Chatwood signing is because of Hickey, using the new techniques looking at pitchers, analytics or something like that. Concern would be 2 Tommy Johns and never pitching more than 150 innings in a season. Will need to shore up the bullpen. But I like the fact that he is only 28 and keeps the ball down. Road record is much better than at Coors Field.
go cubs go!

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 am

JD wrote:
Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 am
Nice get with Lester. Theo has been patient but the Cubs are starting to look legit. 2016 could be a playoff year if their prospects develop and they can add a few more pieces!

2015 looks a heckuva lot better too!
This post was 3 years ago today. JD you were right, 2016 was a pretty good year. What a great 3 year run. Can't wait for the 2018 season to start!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:20 pm

soccerforever wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 am
JD wrote:
Nice get with Lester. Theo has been patient but the Cubs are starting to look legit. 2016 could be a playoff year if their prospects develop and they can add a few more pieces!

This post was 3 years ago today. JD you were right, 2016 was a pretty good year. What a great 3 year run. Can't wait for the 2018 season to start!
Yep. Amazing run and it’s not done yet
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:39 pm

JD wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:20 pm
soccerforever wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 am
JD wrote:

Yep. Amazing run and it’s not done yet
No it isn't. 3 straight NLCS appearances and no reason to think it shouldn't continue. Hoping the Yanks getting Stanton will hold them back a little in pursuing Cobb.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Taking a chance on 1 year of the contract. 3 million to sit on the bench year 1 and 7 million to pitch year 2. There are incentives in the deal.

The Cubs signed lefty Drew Smyly to a 2 year deal. He had Tommy John surgery last summer and will rehab for most of 2018.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:17 pm

This could be interesting. Cubs and Indians talking about Salazar. Indians want a left handed power hitter. Not sure I would make this trade and send back Schwarber but that is why Theo makes the big bucks.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:56 pm

soccerforever wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:17 pm
This could be interesting. Cubs and Indians talking about Salazar. Indians want a left handed power hitter. Not sure I would make this trade and send back Schwarber but that is why Theo makes the big bucks.
Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:39 pm

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:56 pm
soccerforever wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:17 pm
Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope
I agree. It sounds like the Cubs are looking past Cobb because of reports that he is seeking 4 years at 80 million. :shock: :shock:

Life is good being a mlb pitcher.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:47 am

Bruce Levine reporting Cubs are in talks with Yu Darvish. Nothing is for sure to happen but it looks like the Cubs have moved on from Cobb.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Darvish an upgrade from Arrieta? Or is that because of Boras’s demands?
go cubs go!

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Saw a rumor floating around the internet, so cant claim its validity or anything, but noise that the Cubs should consider trading Russell and Montgomery to Baltimore for Machado. I realize it would probably take more than that to get it done, but it piqued my interest. Have an infield of Bryant-Machado-Javy-Rizzo for a year and try to re-sign Machado? Or are the Cubs going to put all of their eggs in the Bryce Harper basket after this coming season?
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a mans determination
-Tommy Lasorda

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:12 pm

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:47 pm
Saw a rumor floating around the internet, so cant claim its validity or anything, but noise that the Cubs should consider trading Russell and Montgomery to Baltimore for Machado. I realize it would probably take more than that to get it done, but it piqued my interest. Have an infield of Bryant-Machado-Javy-Rizzo for a year and try to re-sign Machado? Or are the Cubs going to put all of their eggs in the Bryce Harper basket after this coming season?
I do think the Orioles would take that offer but I also believe the Cubs are going to be 100% in on the Harper sweepstakes.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:20 pm

soccerforever wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:12 pm
pndbaseball12 wrote:
I do think the Orioles would take that offer but I also believe the Cubs are going to be 100% in on the Harper sweepstakes.
Would you do that trade for 1 year of Machado? I feel like TAS is going to come in here and rip my head off for even suggesting we trade Russell in 3...2...1... :dabomb
-Tommy Lasorda

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Trade not worth the risk of losing Russell for a one year guy. MM will not sign long term IMO and look for bigger money in free agency. Montgomery is a very serviceable fifth starter.
go cubs go!

tombs14
All World
All World

Post by tombs14 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:35 pm

soccerforever wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:12 pm
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Agreed - I'm no GM, but if I was, that's too risky & costly a deal from the Cubs perspective. I don't like deals where the get is a player with 1 year control. Chapman barely worked, but that was uber specialized.

And absolutely on Harper - there's no way they're not Suitor A, B, & C by $Millions, after we saw what the Yanks just did.

TheAsianSensation
All Universe
All Universe

Post by TheAsianSensation » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:21 pm

If you look ahead, eventually you have to pay Bryant/Rizzo/Schwarber/Baez/Russell/Contreras their money eventually. I'm wondering if the thinking is this: if they can't quite afford to pay everyone, why not trade one of them now?

If you lose Machado after one year, just re-funnel the money into another stud FA ('sup, Harper) and shift Baez to SS and Happ to 2B. If you pay Machado, you're up against the luxury cap, but then again, you have Manny Machado and you wouldn't even need Harper.

I think I still rather keep the core together. The worst-case scenario of losing Machado after a year robs Maddon of roster flexibility (no one behind Happ/Baez for MI depth). Plus I have to imagine Baltimore wants prospects, not major league ready talent (they're going to wait out the Yankees/Red Sox impending storm surge).
That's enough, Reggie Miller.

That's enough, Chris Webber.

http://bracketball.blogspot.com/

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:32 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:21 pm
If you look ahead, eventually you have to pay Bryant/Rizzo/Schwarber/Baez/Russell/Contreras
Of this group, honestly Russell is the one that I would be least upset about leaving. He can only play 1 position, has a streaky bat, and has a tendency to have an errant arm.

Bryant for obvious reasons you sign him.

Rizzo truly is the new face of this franchise IMO and I hope he retires a Cub.

Schwarber’s value will all hinge on this season and I think he knows it after all the training he is doing right now and being down 20 lbs.

Baez can play either middle infield spot, plus 3rd, and they tinkered with him in the OF for a bit in the spring. That versatility can’t be lost. He is a better Ben Zobrist.

Contreras is your field general. He has handled a pitching staff pretty well for a young catcher and can flat out hit.

So when you look at the big picture, Russell is really the one they can “afford” to lose, IMO.
-Tommy Lasorda

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 am

This is now a Cubs rumor that can be taken off the board.
Baltimore Orioles closer Zach Britton ruptured his Achilles tendon Monday during a workout in California, general manager Dan Duquette confirmed to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.

He is expected to miss at least six months, The Athletic is reporting.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:51 am

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Baltimore has asked the Cubs to also include Almora in the deal to make this trade. No way I am doing that! Maybe this is Baltimore trying to drive up the price but I just don’t see how this is a good idea for the Cubs.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

JMM28
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JMM28 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:55 am

Baltimore is one of the worst run organizations in pro sports.

pndbaseball12
All Universe
All Universe

Post by pndbaseball12 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:21 am

soccerforever wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:51 am
pndbaseball12 wrote:
Baltimore has asked the Cubs to also include Almora in the deal to make this trade. No way I am doing that! Maybe this is Baltimore trying to drive up the price but I just don’t see how this is a good idea for the Cubs.
Yeah, definitely no on that deal.
-Tommy Lasorda

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:19 am

The Cubs do not need Manny M. He has no intention in signing long term. I visualize that if they make the trade, he will have a big year and just drive up his price. Not interested in a bidding war when we have very capable players to play the position.
go cubs go!