Cubs

For the civil discussion of pro sports
tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Cubs

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:46 am

Assuming Heyward struggled because of the "pressure" of the contract is a real stretch. He just couldn't hit. Hopefully for him he gets it fixed as he seems like a good dude.

The Cardinals overpaid a bit for Fowler. Mozelaik all but admitted that. As he also said - you don't win awards for being prudent. Sometimes you have to overpay to fill an obvious hole.

I don't expect Fowler to repeat his 2016 numbers. An average of 2014-16 numbers would be fine.
“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:00 am

tribecalledquest wrote:Assuming Heyward struggled because of the "pressure" of the contract is a real stretch. He just couldn't hit. Hopefully for him he gets it fixed as he seems like a good dude.

The Cardinals overpaid a bit for Fowler. Mozelaik all but admitted that. As he also said - you don't win awards for being prudent. Sometimes you have to overpay to fill an obvious hole.

I don't expect Fowler to repeat his 2016 numbers. An average of 2014-16 numbers would be fine.
I would think the Cardinals also expect the numbers to come in that way. I wasn't one who continually bashed Heyward on here. He played great D for the Cubs and when the playoffs came Joe used him exactly how he should have. He really can't hit worse in 2017.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:13 am

tribecalledquest wrote:Assuming Heyward struggled because of the "pressure" of the contract is a real stretch. He just couldn't hit. Hopefully for him he gets it fixed as he seems like a good dude.

Im simply shooting down the statement that Fowler was a better signing the Heyward before ONE guy has touched the new ground he's playing on......as I stated didn't Fowler have similar numbers THIS year to Heywards year with the Cards.....?

And if you don't think guys feel the pressure of a new contract I don't know what to say.....guys every year admit they often " pressed" the first year with a new team wanting to live up and justify the new and large $$ they signed for. Lester admitted he pressed the first year and THIS year just settled in and threw.....

If Heyward bounces back to .270/14/80 and continues his gold glove .....all will be good....if he struggles again AND Fowler can lead the Cards to the WS then yes I'd say the trade for Fowler was somewhat better.

In the end though its NEVER about ONE guy...the Cubs got the WS with both and a great team around them.....one guy left and the other is here and still has a great team around him. Erase the slate and see what 2017 brings....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

tribecalledquest
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tribecalledquest » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:23 am

dogsrus wrote:

Im simply shooting down the statement that Fowler was a better signing the Heyward before ONE guy has touched the new ground he's playing on......as I stated didn't Fowler have similar numbers THIS year to Heywards year with the Cards.....?

And if you don't think guys feel the pressure of a new contract I don't know what to say.....guys every year admit they often " pressed" the first year with a new team wanting to live up and justify the new and large $$ they signed for. Lester admitted he pressed the first year and THIS year just settled in and threw.....

If Heyward bounces back to .270/14/80 and continues his gold glove .....all will be good....if he struggles again AND Fowler can lead the Cards to the WS then yes I'd say the trade for Fowler was somewhat better.

In the end though its NEVER about ONE guy...the Cubs got the WS with both and a great team around them.....one guy left and the other is here and still has a great team around him. Erase the slate and see what 2017 brings....
I'm sure some guys "press". Some don't. I don't think there is anything that says "new contract = underperforming first season". These guys are pros.

And blaming his struggles solely on the "pressure" of the new contract is very, very short sighted.

The deal can be great for the Cardinals without them winning a WS during the next five years.
“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

jim beam
Plutonium Poster
Plutonium Poster

Post by jim beam » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:46 am

I dont know about the whole pressure thing, perhaps theres something to it. But Heyward mechanics were way off this season for some reason..His bat was slow, his feet were never settled, and he wasnt using his hips at all.
Mechanics are fixable...unless he has some undisclosed ailment
Thanks J.J. for what I consider sound advice!

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:47 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
dogsrus wrote:

I'm sure some guys "press". Some don't. I don't think there is anything that says "new contract = underperforming first season". These guys are pros.

And blaming his struggles solely on the "pressure" of the new contract is very, very short sighted.

The deal can be great for the Cardinals without them winning a WS during the next five years.

I will have to re read my post but I don't think I said " solely" once.....
So I was in the airport the other day and I saw AL B., PM me if you want more details.

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:27 am

jim beam wrote:I dont know about the whole pressure thing, perhaps theres something to it. But Heyward mechanics were way off this season for some reason..His bat was slow, his feet were never settled, and he wasnt using his hips at all.
Mechanics are fixable...unless he has some undisclosed ailment
Has he been "right" since being hit in the face?
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.

Mike Radigan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Mike Radigan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:53 am

CSN Chicago announed all eleven playoff wins will be rebroadcast December 22 - 26.

JD
All Universe
All Universe

Post by JD » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:11 am

I'm taking the Cubs in 7
“Is a dream a lie when it don’t come true, or is it something worse?”

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Mike Radigan wrote:CSN Chicago announced all eleven playoff wins will be rebroadcast December 22 - 26.
WSCR is doing a 12 days of Cubsmas starting tonight where they'll reair 12 of the best Cubs game of 2016. Here's the schedule of games they'll reair: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/12/08/ ... f-cubsmas/

dogsrus
All Universe
All Universe

Post by dogsrus » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:26 pm

The Cubs WS... the gift that keeps on giving!!!!

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:11 am

If Brett Anderson passes his physical it is a low risk move by the Cubs. He is only guaranteed 3.5 million and if he is good he can max out at 10 million with the incentives.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Post by deejay » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Good move. Never enough left handed pitchers.
go cubs go!

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Jesse Rogers posted this earlier. Pretty cool.
Feel good story re Kyle Schwarber: Young fan got his autographed ball stolen the same night he got it after the convention. Family's car was broken into while they were at dinner. Schwarber heard about it, replaced it with WS autographed ball and picture and is now having the boy as his guest at a charity event in Champaign tonight.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

Big Papa Pump
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by Big Papa Pump » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Besides great baseball players and what has turned in to a great organization, there are just plainly a lot of good people that are part of the Cubs now. Good human beings. I worry about eating my words on that kind of statement, but the words and actions coming from the entire organization has seemed to prove this out.

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Ex-Cub Jason Hammel has signed a 2-year, $16 million deal with the Royals with a mutual option for a third year: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1862 ... r-contract

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:09 pm

The O/U started hitting the boards for wins today. The Cubs are 95.5. WOW!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:15 pm

We already have a Cubs thread here so no reason to start another one. That being said I agree with your post below Redbird.

As a Cardinals fan, I hope they try this all season. Schwarber OBP and batting average don't show him as a leadoff hitter plus you are minimizing his RBI chances via home run. He should hit 5-6 and Zobrist should lead off IMO.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:23 pm

About a month to go and the 2017 season will kickoff. I have really enjoyed this thread that basically started in 2015 with the Lester signing and finished last year as the Champs. I think I am going back to my 2015 approach to watching games, and that is relax and enjoy it. Last year I was so nervous for most the season and it just peaked during the playoffs. Go Cubs!!

Still love your first post of the thread JD.

Nice get with Lester. Theo has been patient but the Cubs are starting to look legit. 2016 could be a playoff year if their prospects develop and they can add a few more pieces!

2015 looks a heckuva lot better too
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:20 pm

VERY early in the preseason but Heyward still doesn't have a hit. :(
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:44 pm

The Heyward watch continues, 0-2 today. No surprise that Joe announced Lester as his opening day starter.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:09 pm

The 0 for continues for Heyward today. Positives for today, Bryant hit a grand slam and Hendricks pitched 2 scoreless innings.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Cubs go back to back spring training games with a grand slam. Almora Jr. hit one today.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Hendricks has picked up right where he left off last year. If he is even close to the guy we saw last year it is going to be a very good season for the Cubs.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Well 3 weeks to go!! Looking back on this thread the one thing we all seemed to want since before the 2015 season was a team who continuously made the playoffs. Well 2 exciting years later and a World Series Championship and things look just as bright. Beating the Cardinals in the playoffs in 2015 and the Cubs winning it all last year has been the highlights. Hopefully we have many more to come.
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus