Cubs

For the civil discussion of pro sports
tombs14
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Re: Cubs

Post by tombs14 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:07 am

The current years record would be an A+, non-complainable, in most years. It only seems to be non-acceptable because of 2 factors:

1) Brewers have a better record
2) The Cubs Starters give up too many early runs, putting pressure on the hitters to always come back in the game. There are numerous games that the offense would have been enough, had the Starters not given up 2-4 runs in the 1st or 2nd innings.

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:37 am

tombs14 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:07 am
The current years record would be an A+, non-complainable, in most years. It only seems to be non-acceptable because of 2 factors:

2) The Cubs Starters give up too many early runs, putting pressure on the hitters to always come back in the game. There are numerous games that the offense would have been enough, had the Starters not given up 2-4 runs in the 1st or 2nd innings.
Pretty fair. It's also true that when the starting pitching has been good and not given up runs, the offense has sputtered quite a bit. But record-wise the team is still nearly on par with the 2016 team-the difference is the Cubs are still chasing a team.That team also had 3 pitchers finish in the top 10 for Cy Young voting. Even that Class A hack Lester, who finished second in the tally that year. ;)

Also to that and your point about the Brewers they are also on pace with the 2016 Cubs, give or take a few games. The 2016 Cubs won 102 games and had a losing record in July.

It's also easy to be distracted by the records the AL leaders are putting up, but that has zero bearing on the NL. Both the Cubs and Brewers will likely finish around 100 wins this year, and whoever wins the division will be in a strong position for home field advantage up to the WS.

I also think people are frustrated because it's the Brewers, but they are legit.
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:31 pm

squirrel wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:37 am
tombs14 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:07 am

Pretty fair. It's also true that when the starting pitching has been good and not given up runs, the offense has sputtered quite a bit. But record-wise the team is still nearly on par with the 2016 team-the difference is the Cubs are still chasing a team.That team also had 3 pitchers finish in the top 10 for Cy Young voting. Even that Class A hack Lester, who finished second in the tally that year. ;)

Also to that and your point about the Brewers they are also on pace with the 2016 Cubs, give or take a few games. The 2016 Cubs won 102 games and had a losing record in July.

It's also easy to be distracted by the records the AL leaders are putting up, but that has zero bearing on the NL. Both the Cubs and Brewers will likely finish around 100 wins this year, and whoever wins the division will be in a strong position for home field advantage up to the WS.

I also think people are frustrated because it's the Brewers, but they are legit.
I agree with both of you. tombs I'm also frustrated by the early runs that have been given up, but besides Lester I think all the rest of the starters can show improvement. They really have to be better or their bullpen who has been so good will go down in flames. Theo knows he can't really trade for a starter because he has to trust that Darvish will come back and at least be a # 4 starter for this year. Chatwood has about 3 more starts to improve or he might be in AAA when Darvish comes back. With all of this said I still think the Cubs are the best team in the division and just like last year they will find a way to slowly put distance between them and the Brewers. It has been another fun year so far!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus
It's based on if you liked or didn't like their music...

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:29 pm

2015 53-47 Lost in NLCS
2016 60-40 Won World Series
2017 53-47 Lost in NLCS
2018 58-42

With the injuries the Cubs have had along with the inconsistent starters I'm actually pretty happy with the team being 16 games over .500. I still don't see the Cubs making any major move before the trade deadline. The bullpen continues to be the strength of this team and the offense has been very good, so hopefully the starters can begin to carry their part of the load. Still like the Cubs chances on winning the division and best record in the NL. Go Cubs!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:36 pm

2015 62-48 Lost NLCS
2016 69-41 Won World Series
2017 58-52 Lost NLCS
2018 64-46

Well the Cubs went 6-4 in their last 10, even though it looked a lot worse. Was very glad to see Hamels have a nice start and Q did the same. Lester needs to do what he has all year and Hendricks needs to be a little better. Same story all year, the starters need to be much better down the stretch. The Cubs have a long road trip in early September and need to start putting a little distance between them and the group chasing them. On a side note Wade Davis is just horrible! Go Cubs!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:17 pm

2015 69-51
2016 77-43
2017 63-57
2018 70-50

6-4 through 10 again and a season high 20 games over. Really great to see Lester look so good tonight and the bullpen does it again, closing the game out. Even Wilson got a big out for the Cubs yesterday. Really looking forward to seeing Hamels pitch again tomorrow night. If he can even come close to what he has done for the Cubs the rest of the year I really like their chances to take best record in the NL and then as we know anything can happen, especially in the NL this year. The offense can definitely be better, just need a few more of the hitters to get going. What a surprise Zobrist has been for me this year. 42 games to go and looks like the DL players are getting closer to coming back. Go Cubs!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:24 pm

2015 74-56
2016 83-47
2017 70-60
2018 77-53

7-3 through this 10 game stretch and the starters looked very good for a nice change. I know I’m going to be a happy Cub fan as long as Theo is calling the shots in Chicago. Not happy with the starters so he goes and gets Hamels. Not happy with the offense so he finds a bat in Murphy. Even if there are years they don’t make the playoffs, it isn’t going to be because of Theo standing still and not trying to make the team better. The upcoming 11 game road trip still worries me, but if they can find a way to survive it and keep their current lead they should be good to go for a 4th straight playoff run. Looks like Bryant will probably be back Saturday at the latest and hoping to see Morrow not long after that. Go Cubs!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:08 pm

2015 82-58 Lost in NLCS
2016 90-50 Won World Series
2017 77-63 Lost in NLCS
2018 83-57

Another 6-4 out of 10 stretch. A couple more like that and we can get ready for the playoffs. Also a nice 5-3 start to the road trip. Joe has been putting Wilson in a lot of tight spots in the last couple weeks and he has rewarded Joe with getting some huge outs. For all the Cubs fans that have been ready to give up on this team numerous times this year, remember it is a marathon season. I've even learned over the last 4 years to not get as mad at bad losses during the regular season. Should be a fun and hopefully not to stressful final 22 games and then hoping for another deep playoff run. NL playoffs should be wide open. Go Cubs!!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus

soccerforever
All Universe
All Universe

Post by soccerforever » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:28 pm

Well 5-5 through that 10 game stretch and the Cubs sit at 88-62. The starters have been sensational recently, which gives me high hopes for the rest of the season and into the playoffs. The bullpen continues to be very good, even when they have sent out relievers who normally wouldn’t be seen in high pressure situations. Go Cubs!
roadtrip wrote:
What is an ELO rating
Dogsrus