Week 3 Washington @ Canton

For the civil discussion of large school football.
Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Week 3 Washington @ Canton

Post by Ripple Effect »

What are thoughts about this game? Pretty confident the Panthers will be itching to clean a few things up this week in practice and will be ready for the Little Giants.
BLACK CAT
Regular (25 posts)
Regular (25 posts)

Re: Week 3 Washington @ Canton

Post by BLACK CAT »

Hard tell what Canton has. They've played two terrible teams. Maybe LG fans can shed some light. Even though there is no common opponent, the following is interesting.

Canton beats Charleston by 13
Mahomet beats Charleston by 12
Washington beats Mahomet by 41 (shut out)
Not sure if that means much this early but just a thought.
TheHouse
Silver Poster (250 posts)
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Post by TheHouse »

Washington is a young team but very talented. I only got to watch second half but with some minor fixes that game goes in a different direction. Coaches can't catch balls, make blocks or tackles. With a little more effort and focus the Panthers will do well all season. I'm sure those little things have been addressed and this team will progress each week
MadHatter555
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MadHatter555 »

Penalties against Morris did not help the Panthers, and I think they struggled with the size Morris brought to the table. They are big! That being said, it was a game that Washington could have won. I think they beat Canton by 10 or so. Not sure they have the size or skill of a team like Morris, and even with the loss, the Panthers seem to be improving every week. This matchup boils down to superior skill and numbers, which the Panthers have.
:td
Marnett05

Post by Marnett05 »

Canton Fan here. We've looked pretty good in both the first two games, but against smaller schools. We definitely face our toughest challenge of the year this weekend. Offense has looked pretty good, our lead Friday allowed us to work the pass game quite a bit, and we had pretty good luck with it. Ground game is pretty versatile, and should allow us to work the pass game as needed. Defense gave up a bit too much for my liking, but they also looked pretty strong. We've had some issues with penalties, and our kicker isn't the best at elevating the ball on PATs; we've had a few knocked down. All in all, should be a good game.
Gho$t$
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Gho$t$ »

best scoreboard = Canton
better football team = Washington
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

GoBirdsGo II wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 pm Hafta tell ya, this game intrigues me. Enough for me to drive to Canton, I dunno. Still planning on Williamsville/Maroa right now.
Hey GBG - how long does it take for you to get to Williamsville versus Canton - I was just wondering if they are nearly the same for you?
buddyholly
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by buddyholly »

Nice win for Washington. Looked ugly on offense most of the game but good to see Sam Walter finally get a chance. Thought he played great. 140 yds rushing and 45 rec. Coach Crouch got his 100th win at Washington so congrats to him.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

bad game?
Ripple Effect
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by Ripple Effect »

I just cannot figure out why the Washington offense just cannot keep the engine going for a whole game. There is so much talent and depth in the skilled positions. We were 3rd and long the whole game. I understand Canton was sending the house on most first down situations. We played right into their hands with our play decisions and reads. IMO, we could chew teams up if we opened up the passing game and the read option became more of a secondary emphasis.

Canton was a much better team than what I thought they would be. Great job by those kids and coaches on the strrides they have made the last couple years.
CIS
All Universe
All Universe

Post by CIS »

GoBirdsGo II wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:01 am
CIS wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:35 ambad game?
What was deemed as the conf. champ. game, it was 34-0 at half when I headed for home. :(
sounds like a pekin game :D yeah that's a bummer to drive that distance for blowout - that's is why when I drive to Pekin from Chicago it's for east Peoria or limestone - usually a safe bet :)
MadHatter555
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by MadHatter555 »

I thought Canton played pretty well, but you have not heard much about how well the Panthers "D" held up against a high powered offense. Two blown coverages allowed the LG's to get into scoring position, but Washington pretty much stymied their run game. Wells is a great player for sure, not sure he has the same level of talent around him as last year. Kudos to Canton....hope they win out.
:td