Wrong direction

BradleyHoops.com: For the civil discussion of Bradley University men's basketball
SaintLouBrave22
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Wrong direction

Post by SaintLouBrave22 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:41 am

pndbaseball12 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 am

#1 if Childs was 6’9” or taller he wouldn’t be at BU.
#2 to drive home bigdaddystuck’s point above about bigs not being dominant early, the list of bigs that SLB provided:
Oh, I won't disagree with you on that as usually it does take bigs awhile to get acclimated, but my point that I've been making for years now is to the folks who think you need a guy who is really tall or wide to be accomplished in the post and that is just not true in our league...

Hell, I remember when all of 6'4" Funches was a beast down low at times.

Some guys do what they can with what they're given and some guys don't....

Its why I always smirk and shake my head when people talk about wanting certain guys to get more physical and be more mentally tough when they just don't have it in them....If a guy like Bar for example is a snowflake, you just aren't going to pull the beast out of him no matter what tactic you try.
---If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you don't need it. But if you need and you don't have it, you want it. If you don't have any of it, then you really don't know how to get more to get started then do you?---

ICEMANBU
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)
Diamond Poster (1500 posts)

Post by ICEMANBU » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:16 pm

ER3 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 pm
...Boya, because he hasn't been playing the game long and Brummett, because it seems he has had close to zero actual basketball coaching in his lifetime.

I've never watched them play, so obviously I could be completely wrong on this one...maybe Boya comes in and makes it clear from day 1 that he has a better combo of skill and athleticism than we imagined....and maybe Brummett is a really quick study and his level of athleticism gives him the ability to just find ways to make plays offensively and to be a plus defender right out of the gate...That would be great...I just think the odds aren't great that these 'types' of freshmen (raw, limited knowledge of basketball concepts/structure/systems/etc) would be the ones to expect to come in and get rotation minutes right away as first year players here (especially if we are truly going to be a top 3 or 4 Valley team next season...)
This scares the poop outta me.

I understand that you can't teach athleticism and size, but man, if you're gonna recruit guys like this, you better be 1) confident in your ability to coach them up and 2) they're going to be able to absorb what you're trying to teach them.

I know that at the BU level you're probably looking at a 4-year plan for your recruits (generally speaking) as opposed to the 1 & 2 year guys at the major levels, but it kinda also means that you can't whiff because you're gonna be saddled with that guy unless you start running a real cutthroat program, which there's plenty of ways for that to work against you, too.

Long story short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that when talking about basketball recruits, I cringe when the first thing they mention about a recruit is "athleticism" instead of something basketball-skill-wise....
A real fan celebrates the successes, but acknowledges the failures of his team.

I am a Bradley Fan, not a Bradley Fascist.

Twitter: @DRustyCabbage

squirrel
All Universe
All Universe

Post by squirrel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:13 pm

squirrel wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 pm
real fan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:44 pm
SaintLouBrave22 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself...we are definitely on the same page here, and as I've said before, outside of some HUGE progress jumps by returning players, yeah, we are a middle of the pack squad at best...

And I just continue to hammer this home ---- where and how are we replacing Donte Thomas?!
I am totally with you guys on this matter. Very disappointing about us going forward when you look at next seasons roster and think how we appear to look closer to the bottom then the top in season 4.
OK, Einstein: the 13 names that will be on scholarship next year. Since you have it, enlighten us to your wisdom.
Just checking in RF...the 13 names? You said you know the roster?
"[. . .] and it would be foolish to gobble up sliders when there’s a steak hidden in the fridge." -Kirk Wessler

real fan
All Universe
All Universe

Post by real fan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:13 pm

squirrel wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:13 pm
squirrel wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 pm
real fan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:44 pm

I am totally with you guys on this matter. Very disappointing about us going forward when you look at next seasons roster and think how we appear to look closer to the bottom then the top in season 4.
OK, Einstein: the 13 names that will be on scholarship next year. Since you have it, enlighten us to your wisdom.
Just checking in RF...the 13 names? You said you know the roster?
I only know the ones that are suppose to return. My point is where is the guy that can come close to filling Thomas"s spot? I know Eli is a 4 but then who replaces his stats? ISU and SIU return everyone. By the way I almost know everything :jokerc