Open letter from IHSA Exec. Dir. (along with Nat'l. Fed State High School Assn.'s Exec. Dir.) to parents: Cool it

For the civil discussion of high school sports.

jmc
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Re: Open letter from IHSA Exec. Dir. (along with Nat'l. Fed State High School Assn.'s Exec. Dir.) to parents: Cool it

Post by jmc » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:46 pm

I sit at the scorers table which is directly across from the home and visitors bleachers at girls and boys sophomore and varsity basketball games and have witnessed so many fans acting beyond rational behavior. It is sad. I don't know if it is getting worse than it was 40-50-60 years ago, but it isn't getting better.

Just last Saturday at a girls sophomore game a fan was berating an official. There was a foul against the other team and it was the 7th team foul, but there were no free throws given. The fan was upset. The official calmly told him there were no free throws because it was a player control foul. The fan looked at him and said, "What's that?" :roll:

Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Re: Open letter from IHSA Exec. Dir. (along with Nat'l. Fed State High School Assn.'s Exec. Dir.) to parents: Cool it

Post by Bluejaygrad03 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:35 pm

The SJ-R's Ryan Mahan with a column that echoes a lot of the sentiments of the IHSA Executive Director: https://www.sj-r.com/sports/20190120/ry ... ay-in-line

illini25
All Universe
All Universe

Post by illini25 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:01 pm

jmc wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:46 pm
I sit at the scorers table which is directly across from the home and visitors bleachers at girls and boys sophomore and varsity basketball games and have witnessed so many fans acting beyond rational behavior. It is sad. I don't know if it is getting worse than it was 40-50-60 years ago, but it isn't getting better.

Just last Saturday at a girls sophomore game a fan was berating an official. There was a foul against the other team and it was the 7th team foul, but there were no free throws given. The fan was upset. The official calmly told him there were no free throws because it was a player control foul. The fan looked at him and said, "What's that?" :roll:
One of my favorite moments is when a ball handler crosses half court with one foot and then reversed into the back court. Guaranteed that you’ll hear several fans of opposing team scream “over and back!”

Another one of my favorites was seeing fans of a team who was pressing start clamoring for a 3-seconds in lane call before opponents got ball into the front court. This happened over and over until one of the parents orchestrated a “One, two, three ...” chant. At the next time out, one of the officials stood in front of their bleacher section and informed them that 3-seconds doesn’t start until the ball is in the front court. Talk about a bunch of embarrassed parents!
This is imported Italian nylon and it's a special edition limited silk print and it was done by this really famous design artist.