Illinois gyms that you did not like to play in

For the civil discussion of small school boys basketball.
deejay
All Universe
All Universe

Illinois gyms that you did not like to play in

Post by deejay »

There were gyms back in my time that one just simply did not want to play in. Delavan played in the Amory, a massive WWII structure. The visiting teams locker room was the coal room with no heat and a dingy cold water shower. Then there was the cracker box at San Jose fans, with legs stretching onto the floor. Team did not want to play there. Teams didn’t like going to Mackinaw early in the season, because they were the only team in our conference that played football. That rolled over to the basketball court and man it was physical. This is just to name a few.
go cubs go!
Disturbed
Silver Poster (250 posts)

Re: Illinois gyms that you did not like to play in

Post by Disturbed »

Mt. Pulaski in the mid 70's thru the mid 80's. Always very good, wildly hostile environment, and usually screwed on the officiating.
BDub5
Rookie (5 posts)
Rookie (5 posts)

Post by BDub5 »

Ottawa High School's Kingman Gym. Old throwback gym with the seating above the floor, pillars blocking some views...

In 2020 it won a voting contest of best Illinois High School gyms over 2nd place Wharton Fieldhouse in Moline.

Loved playing there as an opponent and hated it at the same time. Crowd was loud and the acoustics in that 90 year old gym amplified it. But loved it when you shut the crowd up!
Butler Blue
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by Butler Blue »

deejay wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:16 am There were gyms back in my time that one just simply did not want to play in. Delavan played in the Amory, a massive WWII structure. The visiting teams locker room was the coal room with no heat and a dingy cold water shower. Then there was the cracker box at San Jose fans, with legs stretching onto the floor. Team did not want to play there. Teams didn’t like going to Mackinaw early in the season, because they were the only team in our conference that played football. That rolled over to the basketball court and man it was physical. This is just to name a few.
Posted this in another thread, but I remember that you couldn't shoot corner 3s at San Jose because there was less than a foot between the 3 point line and out of bounds.
The Dude's cousin
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Post by The Dude's cousin »

Eureka was always a bad place to play simply because you got screwed by the officiating...especially in football but basketball was bad too.

I could be wrong but Brimfield had a really shallow baseline and I was the five man (5'10" and I couldn't jump or dribble without looking at the ground) and taking the ball out after a made basket was a challenge at times.

We played down at Wapella my freshman year, I think it was a cramped gym.

Good times!! Great thread, brought back some memories.
What is that, yoga?
bravesfan69
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)
Platinum Poster (1000 posts)

Post by bravesfan69 »

The Dude's cousin wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:08 am Eureka was always a bad place to play simply because you got screwed by the officiating...especially in football but basketball was bad too.

I could be wrong but Brimfield had a really shallow baseline and I was the five man (5'10" and I couldn't jump or dribble without looking at the ground) and taking the ball out after a made basket was a challenge at times.

We played down at Wapella my freshman year, I think it was a cramped gym.

Good times!! Great thread, brought back some memories.
Ha, Wapella. Yes, very small. I remember we played them in Jr. High, this big fat kid got mad at a call and kicked the basketball as hard as he could. Bounced off the wall and hit him in the face. So, he not only got teed up, he got a bloody nose. It was great.

Central Catholic's old gym was a nightmare. Felt like you were in a dungeon.
The Dude's cousin
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

I could be wrong but I remember playing Beardstown in football and thinking their locker room was some sort of utility office. We played at Pittsfield my senior year and I think we used almost like a secondary gym for the locker room.
What is that, yoga?
The Dude's cousin
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

If there ever is a baseball field thread:

Princeville had about a 150' right field fence with a rock covered infield.

Delavan had a tree line for left field fence.....and I went to Tremont with a light pole in centerfield and a quarter of our track in the outfield.

Again, its been 25+ years since I was in high school.
What is that, yoga?
Butler Blue
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by Butler Blue »

The Dude's cousin wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:59 am If there ever is a baseball field thread:

Princeville had about a 150' right field fence with a rock covered infield.

Delavan had a tree line for left field fence.....and I went to Tremont with a light pole in centerfield and a quarter of our track in the outfield.

Again, its been 25+ years since I was in high school.
Also a Turk. I loved that short porch down the leftfield line. It's was maybe 250 ft.
tombs14
All Universe
All Universe

Post by tombs14 »

Cuba (North Fulton) - Homerdome w/o the dome - fences at like 280 all around.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

The Dude's cousin wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:08 am Eureka was always a bad place to play simply because you got screwed by the officiating...especially in football but basketball was bad too.
Sounds sorta like a basketball game at QND. Always heard you're immediately down 10-0 as soon as you get in the gym.

As far as gyms that were not fun to play in...I remember playing at the old jr. high in Rushville about 25 years ago. The floor was still a carpeted floor. One of my teammates who was one of our scrappier players had rug burns on his elbows and knees after the game there. Luckily, the new jr. high gym opened the next year and was a lot easier to play in.
The Dude's cousin
DieHard (50 posts)
DieHard (50 posts)

Does anyone remember playing at Dunlap? Didn't they have a rubber or carpeted floor?
What is that, yoga?
Butler Blue
Kryptonite Poster
Kryptonite Poster

Post by Butler Blue »

The Dude's cousin wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:46 am Does anyone remember playing at Dunlap? Didn't they have a rubber or carpeted floor?
Yes. They had the rubber-ish all-purpose gym floor.
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

The Dude's cousin wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:46 am Does anyone remember playing at Dunlap? Didn't they have a rubber or carpeted floor?
The original Tartan floor. I played on it a few times.