No masks for races for track

For the civil discussion of boys and girls cross country and track.
MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

No masks for races for track

Post by MidstateFan »

Update from IHSA Board of Directors Meeting on April 12:

https://www.ihsa.org/News-Media/Announc ... te-updates

Highlights:
...the Board announced updates from the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) regarding masks for students competing in low-risk outdoor sports and activities.
Students competing in low-risk outdoor sports and activities are no longer required to wear masks while competing. In-season IHSA sports and activities impacted by this update include bass fishing, baseball, softball, tennis, and track & field. Students must continue to wear masks in these sports and activities when they are not actively competing (i.e. athletes on the bench).
Officials in these sports and activities must continue to wear masks unless they are socially distanced. More guidance will be provided to the coaches and officials in these respective sports from the IHSA in the coming days."

Dates for State Track Meets set. Appears to be one-day State Meet per class. No sites given. More details later:
"Track & Field State Finals
June 10: Class 1A Girls
June 11: Class 2A Girls
June 12: Class 3A Girls
June 17: Class 1A Boys
June 18: Class 2A Boys
June 19: Class 3A Boys"
oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Re: No masks for races for track

Post by oftenrunning52 »

The email ADs received listed Eastern Illinois as the site of the state finals. Not sure if it's a typo/oversight in the notes or an update in the AD notes, but I had heard earlier in the day EIU was the host once again as well.
Dunlap Eagles
2011 and 2012 Mid-Illini Boys Cross Country Champions
2012-2019, 2021 Mid-Illini Girls Cross Country Champions
2014 3rd place and 2016 2nd place Girls 2A IHSA Cross Country
2017 Girls IHSA Cross Country State Champions
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

oftenrunning52 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:34 am The email ADs received listed Eastern Illinois as the site of the state finals. Not sure if it's a typo/oversight in the notes or an update in the AD notes, but I had heard earlier in the day EIU was the host once again as well.
While I don't doubt what you're saying, I'd still be surprised if it was gonna be held there. The Boys State that I posted about on here before is still scheduled to be held June 12-18. It would be nothing short of a logistical miracle to be able to pull that and both state track meets off within the span of a week and a half.

On a separate topic, I was surprised to see in that link that MidstateFan posted that ISU is gonna be hosting the 1A/2A state baseball finals. Any particular reason why Dozer Park isn't an option?
jmc
Postaholic (100 posts)
Postaholic (100 posts)

Post by jmc »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:25 pm
oftenrunning52 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:34 am The email ADs received listed Eastern Illinois as the site of the state finals. Not sure if it's a typo/oversight in the notes or an update in the AD notes, but I had heard earlier in the day EIU was the host once again as well.
While I don't doubt what you're saying, I'd still be surprised if it was gonna be held there. The Boys State that I posted about on here before is still scheduled to be held June 12-18. It would be nothing short of a logistical miracle to be able to pull that and both state track meets off within the span of a week and a half.

On a separate topic, I was surprised to see in that link that MidstateFan posted that ISU is gonna be hosting the 1A/2A state baseball finals. Any particular reason why Dozer Park isn't an option?
I don't think there will be a conflict. When my sons went to Boys State they were mostly around the dorms and classrooms. The track athletes will be mostly around the track. The track teams will not use the dorms, just the stadium. It looks like a one day event for each class in track.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

jmc wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:47 pm

I don't think there will be a conflict. When my sons went to Boys State they were mostly around the dorms and classrooms. The track athletes will be mostly around the track. The track teams will not use the dorms, just the stadium. It looks like a one day event for each class in track.
While it is a one day event for each class, there's still gonna be a need for rooms for the athletes to stay in, especially the ones who are coming from a long way away, in addition to the young men there for Boys State.
oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:42 pm

While it is a one day event for each class, there's still gonna be a need for rooms for the athletes to stay in, especially the ones who are coming from a long way away, in addition to the young men there for Boys State.
It sounds like IHSA is trying to construct a state meet where a team does not need to stay overnight as a team to participate. The entire state final for track in each class takes place in one day, beginning around noon. A team could choose to stay overnight, but I suspect they won't have the dorms as an option. The logistics of trying to have the track state finals anywhere else with this short of a notice would be nearly impossible.
Dunlap Eagles
MidstateFan
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by MidstateFan »

I don't know. The Pantagraph says that ISU hosting is a one-time affair. Maybe Dozer Park wasn't interested?
I also note that the IESA has cancelled their Junior High State Track Meets. Mostly because of "logistics", but with virus-rates high in the Peoria area they might have had to run it with no spectators and with their financial problems, they couldn't do it without spectators. There's also the problem of many JH Sectionals not having anyone willing to be a host. 7 of 10 Class 1A Sectionals don't have a host yet. Sectionals that have hosts will be held.
Bluejaygrad03
All Universe
All Universe

Post by Bluejaygrad03 »

oftenrunning52 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:13 am

It sounds like IHSA is trying to construct a state meet where a team does not need to stay overnight as a team to participate. The entire state final for track in each class takes place in one day, beginning around noon. A team could choose to stay overnight, but I suspect they won't have the dorms as an option. The logistics of trying to have the track state finals anywhere else with this short of a notice would be nearly impossible.
And while there are hotel options in the Charleston and Mattoon area, it wouldn't surprise me if some teams had to stay as far away as Champaign or Effingham depending on how quickly the rooms fill up.
oftenrunning52
Gold Poster (500 posts)
Gold Poster (500 posts)

Post by oftenrunning52 »

Bluejaygrad03 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:01 pm
oftenrunning52 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:13 am

And while there are hotel options in the Charleston and Mattoon area, it wouldn't surprise me if some teams had to stay as far away as Champaign or Effingham depending on how quickly the rooms fill up.
In a normal year, as a coach, you better be reserving hotel rooms in January or you might be in Effingham or Tuscola anyway (I've never heard of anyone being forced into Champaign). Most schools aren't going to allow schools to stay overnight this year anyway. Given the way the meet is scheduled this year, it's a non-issue.
Dunlap Eagles